ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Small 4wd diesel acerage tractor.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Small 4wd diesel acerage tractor.

Looking at getting a small diesel tractor. Kinda looking at John Deere, New Holland, Kubota, and Mahindra. Nothing bigger then 25 hp. Unless there is a good used one out there somewhere. Anyone have any suggestions on what kind I should get? Or anyone know or see a good used one that I could pick up? Looking for all kinds of attachments. Like loader, rototiller, snow blower, maybe backhoe attachment and of course the lawn mower. Wheres the deals?

Alberta Kijiji is hard to search. Way to many models of tractors to sift through when I have no idea of a specific model!
Old 05-03-2013, 12:56 AM

Just went through all this and believe me, 25 hp is way to small.

Spent a good 2 months looking around and asking a lot of questions. We are going with Kubota for sure, best prices out there and almost zero warranty issues amongst everyone we talked to.

Looked at a 25 hp rig, loaded with backhoe, loader, 4wd, etc, etc for just over $18,000 but it's basically a powered shovel........loader lifts 500 lbs, hoe not much more.

For about $7000 more, stepping up to a 40 hp with all the bells on it and it's still small enough to fit in the barn etc and will lift an 1800 lb round bale.

Of all the dealers, Kubota will work with you. They have so many models and variations to make something work for you.

JD and New Holland told me what I needed not me telling them and then said this is the price take it or leave it. Their tractors are nice rigs for sure but not anywhere near what you get dollar for dollar against a Kubota.

And, if you can find them on Kijiji, the old Kubotas are going for almost the same as new pricing and they will sell faster than a couple year old one.

Mahindras are priced right but the quality varies a lot depending on where it was built. If you can get a Japanese built unit, your doing good but parts are a nightmare to get. Korean built, stay away.

Bobcat is a nice but expensive machine but it is built by Kioti and you can get a Kioti way cheaper. Kioti parts are a challenge to get even from Bobcat.

There are a ton of used low hour tractors on Kijiji but like you mentioned, searching is a pain and in all honesty, you can buy new for not much more.

Look at something a little bigger than what you think you need, trust me, pay now or really pay later.

Jeff
Old 05-03-2013, 01:09 AM

Wow! You sure did your homework! I guess I am back where you were 2 months ago. Just made my 1st few calls and sent out 1 email to dealers so far. Have not even called the kubota dealer in grande prairie yet. I did notice that almost every used kubota on kijijji seemed to be at least 7-8 thousand. Just have so many plans and uses for a small tractor and am not looking forward to bouncing around behind my old rototiller and spending hours shoveling etc. I will be contacting the kubota dealer in GP tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:35 AM

Tractor Ranch in Spruce Grove is a kioti dealer. I think that they are a pretty nice unit. Very well built imo. And less money than the Kubota. Tractor ranch is a pretty good company to deal with, that is where I bought my skid steer
Old 05-04-2013, 12:02 AM

A retired(Calgary firefighter) buddy of mine has had real good luck with his 35HP Kubota.He pack up and moved to Nova Scotia and needed one to move the massive amount of snow from the storms that come of the Bay of Fundy(5Km away),he can get easily 2-3 feet in a day.The tractor is an open cab with a rear snow plow that runs off the PTO---no problems with this HP rating for what he uses it for and has been trouble free for 3 years /lots of use.PS -----sister is looking for a used one but it has to 100HP for her farm work---her baler need at least 80 hp to operate---no luck yet.DW
Old 05-05-2013, 11:50 AM

I have a Case IHDX22e which translates in to a 22 HP I got a smoken deal on it but regret buying it ...

I am not a Fanboy of John Deere But they are offering some very good financing and 0% interest when I was looking

the one i was looking at was the 1026R (26 HP) One key feature I like is the quick disconnect on the Mower Deck . You just drive over it and connect .. Not pulling the darn mower deck out the side

Guess it depends on what you need for Hp/attachments . There is some used stuff out there but almost same price as new .

Check this out and get and idea of prices

http://www.marketbook.ca/Homepage/Default.aspx
Old 05-21-2013, 10:05 AM

I've had a 24hp Kubota for years. Great tractor. My neighbor across the road uses his tractors for a living. He has been switching all of them over to Kubota from John Deere. He seems to like the Kubota dealer over by Lacomb. Says they are willing to work with you, rather than cause you grief.

I like my machine, but will never again get one without a cab. When I got mine, cabs on small tractors were fairly rare. Think keep skeeters out, cold out, etc.

I use mine for logging (when I have time), and routine yard work. Converted the front bucket to Bobcat quick attach (home built) and have modified the tractor so I have a grapple bucket as well. Even a light grapple bucket is a significant amount of your payload, in part because it sits further forward than a bucket. This year I will be building a stump bucket for it as well. The quick attach is worth it.

Near Stony Plain so if you are heading from GP to Edmonton and would like to see the rig... let me know.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:17 PM

I have a 1972 L200 Kubota. Tractor is beat to hell but never had the engine opened up and still works hard as heck. Their longevity is well worth the extra funds.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:23 AM

After a lot of tire kicking I did end up going with a kubota. I can't quite remember the model, but I got it loaded up with attachments. Loader, backhoe, lawn mower, snowblower, rototiller, rear blade, and a counterweight box. 0% financing for 60 months. I know Jeff was saying get a bigger unit, but I already have a big old case 1030 for any larger jobs. This is just for all the little jobs around the farm. And it was about 7 thousand cheaper than a comparable mahindra and the kioti was within a couple hundred bucks. Mahindra wanted 4000 in delivery charges.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Swamp_Donkey
After a lot of tire kicking I did end up going with a kubota. I can't quite remember the model, but I got it loaded up with attachments. Loader, backhoe, lawn mower, snowblower, rototiller, rear blade, and a counterweight box. 0% financing for 60 months. I know Jeff was saying get a bigger unit, but I already have a big old case 1030 for any larger jobs. This is just for all the little jobs around the farm. And it was about 7 thousand cheaper than a comparable mahindra and the kioti was within a couple hundred bucks. Mahindra wanted 4000 in delivery charges.
Would you mind sharing with me the final price(ballpark)? Pm if you prefer. I'm in the market for a tractor as well. How big of a tractor did you end up with? HP?
Thanks!
Old 10-14-2013, 01:37 AM

It ended up being just around 30,000. 0% financing for 60 months. Payments ended up being 511 per month with 3500 down. Kubota wanted 10% down. If you pm me your email I can forward you all the quotes if you want.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:42 AM

Oh yeah, it is a BX25D. 23 or 24 hp I think. And the other costs were of course admin fees, taxes, insurance, etc........
Old 10-14-2013, 10:00 PM

No cab???

Nice tractor. Let me know when you are dropping off that excavator...
Old 10-14-2013, 10:29 PM

Open to the elements...... That is why I bought a cute little wife friendly tractor so that she can run it when the weather is to hot or cold or windy for my delicate tender self. Hehe.

And I am thinking that backhoe excavator attachment is going to get a lot of use!
Old 10-19-2013, 03:30 PM

I bought a 30HP Kubota in 1980. I realized at once that it was too light for a 6ft box scraper. It either spun the rear wheels or rared up. Fluid in the tires and front weights didn't help. It's hard to put the horsepower on the ground. I still have it because it is great for mowing. It's a 2WD BTW.

Quick Reply: Small 4wd diesel acerage tractor.