ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

recession in Alberta

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scotty
I'm probably going to get scolded for swaying the topic. So?
I priced my windows at Menards in Minot. 1/2 of up here and I am making a trip there in a few weeks. Two wks eta for the windows. I have accounted for the exchange with this price. I did not go triple. I am doing 11 windows. All but the living room open and they are all single sash. UP HERE its more money for the sash style. Down there its more for anything other then the sash. All the old siding comes off in a few weeks, 2" foam and stucco.

Don't ya just love renos? All jeldwen Low E too.

Scotty
cool man nothin wrong with savin some coin. To bad i didnt know you needed foam. I had over 50 sheets i just returned that i got for a cheaper rate cause of the amount of stuff i bought. Styro is easy and you would not beliver how much it seals you house. Also are you doing that eco reno program?
Old 02-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Yeah I already did the furnace...93.8 efficient Carrier. Windows and outside stucco/insulation is next. Framing in the storage and laundry downstairs, then when its warm enough...pour the pad for the garage...on and on it goes.
Have not bought the styro...as it was included with the quote I got. I have considered seeing how much it would cost here and in Minot and determine if I should get it or not but I would need a good sized trailer to haul it and the windows back.

Scotty
Old 02-03-2009, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Scotty
Yeah I already did the furnace...93.8 efficient Carrier. Windows and outside stucco/insulation is next. Framing in the storage and laundry downstairs, then when its warm enough...pour the pad for the garage...on and on it goes.
Have not bought the styro...as it was included with the quote I got. I have considered seeing how much it would cost here and in Minot and determine if I should get it or not but I would need a good sized trailer to haul it and the windows back.

Scotty
Well i was considering buyin it down there but the price savings wasnt worth the drive. Ya i dont have natural gas at my place so im installing a grain burning outside boiler. That will heat all 4 buildings and only cost me like 1500/year in grain. We were gonna go natural gas but grain is cheaper compard to running nat gas to 4 buildings. but if you do end up needing a big trailer, i got a 27' enclosed if need be.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard those grain burners are something else.....My relative wants to put on in his shop.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:53 PM
The Guru

What price do you think diesel will be this summer? I'm betting around $1.2 to 1.3 per litre. I bet by the end of the year, we will be around $70 to 80 per barrell or $6 per Gj for natural gas. This is just a quick breather break.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:04 PM

ya i can see diesel getting back up to the 1.20 or better mark. I know diesel is 1.09 at some stores out here in sask. I dont even stop there cause the bigger towns are .879.

Ya the grain burners are something. I have a small grain/pellet stove in my house right now thats why im considering it. Cause i have the house,the shop, the little garage and might be building another garage by the house. But it burns about 500 bshl of grain a winter and thats at 200,000 btu. And the nice thing with the grain burner is that you can burn anything. I got a local out here who offered me 3000 bushells of oats for $500. Its dry but roten but the burner will still burn it. i dont know about you but 3000 bushells will heat my place for 5 years and at even after the install cost im still ahead of natural gas. Its 15k installed into 2 buildings and 18 into all 4. Natural gas is gonna be closer to 20k installed in 3 buildings. So in the so called ression here, im going for the one thats gonna cost me less and be not so variable on price.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:13 PM

Well I found out some good news. Met someone at MM09 in Mcbride this weekend that works at Epcor, and I guess it's not what you know, it's who you know holds true, hopefully going to get the hookup from him

It was getting bad, my truck needs more mods that I haven't been able to afford for a few months
Old 02-03-2009, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mocho
Well I found out some good news. Met someone at MM09 in Mcbride this weekend that works at Epcor, and I guess it's not what you know, it's who you know holds true, hopefully going to get the hookup from him

It was getting bad, my truck needs more mods that I haven't been able to afford for a few months

We will keep our fingers crossed..
Old 02-03-2009, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
What price do you think diesel will be this summer? I'm betting around $1.2 to 1.3 per litre. I bet by the end of the year, we will be around $70 to 80 per barrell or $6 per Gj for natural gas. This is just a quick breather break.

I will keep making my homemade fuel...
Old 02-06-2009, 09:09 AM

They just released the employment stats for January, and they are not pretty. Statistics Canada says a record 129,000 jobs were lost in January in Canada. Apparently, the job losses are now worse than the previous 2 recessions. The national unemployment rate has edged up to 7.2% from 6.8% last month.

Alberta's rate is now at 4.4%, leaving is in good shape relative to Ontario, at 8%. BC took quite a hit this month, with its rate edging up almost a full percent to 6.2%.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:00 AM

Youre just full of good news Dave...
Old 02-06-2009, 11:47 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
yup, and that means we still have 92.8% EMPLOYMENT

oh woe are we, the poor and downtrodden people of canada.

Thanks to the media, and how people are taught, we must always look at the negative side of things. I don't like to be Mr. glass half full to your Mr. glass half empty here, but come on. Work like you always do, and don't worry about the rest. All it does is make you old faster.

Regardless of the global economy, or the local economy, the sun still comes up tomorrow, and life goes on. Suck it up, and carry on bravely.

There's my off-topic rant for the day. Have a good one people.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:57 AM

As always, words of wisdom from pind....

Someones gotta keep working. If no one is working, whos paying for the EI and welfare bums?? - ya know, they have to eat too.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
As always, words of wisdom from pind....

Someones gotta keep working. If no one is working, whos paying for the EI and welfare bums?? - ya know, they have to eat too.
My wife does a job share at Social Services...lets just say...we are glad we are not one of those folks that chooses to go that route. Good words Pind. As long as you got the job...do it and I think its prudent to have a plan b should there be any changes...

Scotty
Old 02-06-2009, 02:53 PM

I think one of the worst parts is people are scared to spend money and buy things, which only makes it worse. I mean who wants to spend money if they are worried about their job. I wasn't around in the 80's but sure hope it don't get bad. But still isn't looking good for getting on with places right now

Quick Reply: recession in Alberta