ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

recession in Alberta

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 09:57 AM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
recession in Alberta

What do you think if Canada goes into a recession,will Alberta be affected?Sure doesn't look good so far.I went through the 1980's recession and I don't take anything for granted anymore.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:53 AM

I don't think it will be as bad as the 80's, you have no debt, but would have been lots worse with Dion's carbon tax/(energy accord) that he wanted to push through... Dion's quote "but its a NATIONAL program..."

Its funny that they tried the carbon tax in Europe and now they are abandoning it because its unfairly punishing them...

http://keyes.ca/journal/2008/10/22/b...ing-in-europe/

Over here, things will get tough also...
Old 10-23-2008, 11:26 AM

What a weird couple years...Seen Sask boom within a year where house prices almost doubled.In one year seen a barrel of oil almost $150 a barrel and a Canadian dollar at par with the US....Then in the same year oil drops to under $70 and our dollar under 80 cents...Its to bad our dollar dropped...I stated to order a few things from the US.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No kidding on the dollar dropping... Oh well, we just have to hope and pray that harper does some smart decisions and helps us out of this funk. I have been doing a little researching and have found that we (canada) have one of the strongest and best run banking systems in the world. It is allmost impossible for our banking system fail, unlike the states where the banks do not have strong controls. I believe that our dollar is only low for a short time, probably till the election in the states is over, or after harper makes a few decisions that look good, this will help improve investors fears and bring them back to our dollar

I hope anyways

Kevin
Old 10-23-2008, 06:35 PM

well i haven't been able to get a job yet since school probably 50 apprentices at the union hall each day
Old 10-23-2008, 08:07 PM
DRD

Originally Posted by kennyblatz
well i haven't been able to get a job yet since school probably 50 apprentices at the union hall each day

Companies still aren't hiring apprentices???
When I started late 80's it was the same way, you could hardly buy an apprenticeship.

Yet companies wonder why there's shortage of tradesmen????
Old 10-23-2008, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by kennyblatz
You could join the 1460, our books are empty right now.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:12 PM

well i've been working on the first of hopefully many sledecks so im not looking that hard. trying to avoid fortmac unless it's with sub
Old 10-23-2008, 09:24 PM

No kidding remember when our dollar was like 1.15 to the U.S.......Don't worry, fuel will go up again, it always does. I think too, things will turn to the better after the election, there will be a glimmer of hope for the investors to cling too.

Now why oh why didn't I buy a house down in florida when I had the chance.....
Old 10-23-2008, 10:49 PM
The Guru

I'm kinda waiting for things to start cooling off. Its been one crazy busy year, I've only taken off a few weekends this year from work. I have 4 to 6 weeks coming up of straight on the road work. I might be back for Christmas. Kenny, I'm jealous, to actually get time off, wow. Next year, isn't looking much better. The drop in the dollar hurts the pocket more than anything right now. The oil companies sell their oil in us currency, so they just got a raise without doing anything. Their costs drop and profits have gone up. Same goes for the gas industry. The market will be bouncey for sometime.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:18 PM

It's gonna slow down some here-but like Mike says, maybe it will be a bonus. I can reach out and hug the wellhead if I have to-so I'm pretty safe....office guys not so much. The dollar deal sucks....I really thought after the election we would get a bounce. Time will tell...I honestly believe 9/10 of a recession is people listening to the media saying we are in a recession and pulling back in reaction.

Jason
Old 10-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JHansen
..... Time will tell...I honestly believe 9/10 of a recession is people listening to the media saying we are in a recession and pulling back in reaction.

Jason
Thats totally it. If everyone just did their thing and kept the ball rolling, there wouldn't be a recession. Now with that fear looming, everyone is stuffing mattresses to "avoid the crunch"...
Old 10-24-2008, 02:34 PM

Petro-Canada is pulling back 4 billion on their upgrader project and Nexen is placing a hold on the long lake project...What they said that things should improve by 2010....2009 could become a very interesting year...because no one knows where the truth is...
Old 10-24-2008, 03:46 PM

Kenny, if you decide to come up to ft mac, you can bunk at our place, same deal as Tate got,, I think that all or most jobs pay LOA here.

just and option for you

Kevin
Old 10-24-2008, 04:06 PM

thanks alot kev i didn't see any sub jobs up took one in town for now.

Quick Reply: recession in Alberta