ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Pos Air Shutoff

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rage_blue
The BD valves look easyer to install than the rhodas. Looks like theres no more dismanlting the alt for an RPM sense.
Thanks for noticing rage-blue we heard the RPM feature may be mandatory in some areas but it is hard to get any definite answers on requirements for the Positive Air Shutdowns.

any and all feedback is appreciated!

Dave
Old 12-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mike,

I don't know the sites you visit, but every site I go to "Diesel PAS" is a check mark on the standard work permit. Without one, I can't get through the gate.

The one I have from Roda is butterfly as well but this makes the competition much greater than when I had to buy one. There were no others..

Old 12-18-2009, 08:35 PM
The Guru

Lots buddy, lots. They never ask. Most of my work is gas transmission or mid stream. It depends on the producer. I don't even get asked about my safety stuff anymore

Worst case you could ask them to declassify the area. Of course then they (the site) would have to work
Old 12-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Chapter President

All the producers I work for are on ISNetworld and they are all singing the same song about PAS.. The larger facilities don't ask (ie. Ft. Sask) but they have classified areas.. But I digress.

The BD valve is a great alternative for us now and also for those in competition requiring this device.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:28 PM
The Guru

Dog, you under ISN stuff. How many employees you run? There are loop holes to get thru that stuff. Its a game, just remember to charge extra to play along.

I usually get a ISN bypass for my stuff. Producers are about the worst at following the rules and not for following. Most transmission users, don't even chack. Midstream guys that I've worked for just do the site specific stuff. How many sites actually know what a PAS is any more? Lots of field guys are going away from running the expensive diesel rigs, for the gaser just as they are cheap and throw away. The industry has changed so much in the last year.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:48 PM

From guys i talk to, The valves have been requireed for a quite a few years on natural gas sites and rigs. They were required but it was up to the consultant or operator to make sure you had it. The RPM sense is becomeing more mandatory in the last few years. When the patch was busy you could get away with haveing nothing at most places. But now things are slow, oil companys are getting sticky, and are more willing to tell you to go home if you don't have all the equipment they require. I haven't seen any engines blown up from natural gas but I have seen head gaskets blow becuase of over reving and no rev guard. I've worked for trucking companys, and all the trucks had rhoda valves and all the other saftey stuff required, so that no work was lost becuase of missing saftey equipment. From what I have been told, the vavle is there to stop a blow out not to save your engine, but it does save your engine too. I think gas jobs get away with it becuase they are snubbed out by the throttle plate. Not to say that a bad spark plug wire wouldn't cuase a blow out. Most of the time if you don't use a rhoda valve it gets stuck and won't work anyhow when you do need it lol.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Chapter President

Rage_blue is right on. Now that times are slow, its more of an issue to weed out the contractors. If we don't have ISN compliance, we don't get a MSA for work. And these days, once you have it, don't loose it!

I got sent home for not having a pumped gas monitor as stand by. You can't bull your way around with the companies I work with. Safety exceptions work for one off jobs, but not for long. I have taken alot of time in training and work on our safety system before there was COR. If you answer yes to the safety questionnaire, usually a PO is only a mouse click away...
Old 01-08-2010, 04:07 PM

POS shutoff valve available

I have a manual pull pos air shutoff valve available. Was just taken out of my truck and was told it is fine from the mechanic here. Not sure if you still need one but ours is for sale and best offer takes it. Thanks. Just pm me.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:04 PM
The Guru

Dog, man that one sad deal, I'm kinda hoping that this cold snap down south wakes these gas companies back into right mind set. Lots of BS and loops/skips just to make a dollar. When things are good again, I bet we will hear that man power shortage rant.