ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Opinions, suggestion, comments, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions, suggestion, comments, ideas?

With the colder weather and thicker fuel, I am now seeing even more reduced fuel pressure on my gauge.

Any options of an inline booster fuel pump?

The purpose of my particular mods are not for racing. I've done what I've done for mileage and towing. All I want is simply to avoid is seeing my fuel pressure gauge dip to 0 psi when I get on it with the Quad tow module on level 3.

Consequently, something like a FASS system is not good IMHO. Besides, I have nightmares of tearing off the filters in the mud heading out hunting, fishing, and getting on spring fields on the farm. There is just no room to hide them higher on a Megacab. I'm currently worried about the air tank for my PRXB even. Just a little something to keep my fuel pressure a bit higher.

So, any options, suggestions, ideas that you guys have run across?
Old 12-02-2007, 03:23 PM

I thought you were gonna go with something like the GDP Walbro? With my FASS, I generally see higher pressure in the cold, not lower.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
I thought you were gonna go with something like the GDP Walbro? With my FASS, I generally see higher pressure in the cold, not lower.
I'm still kicking it around Tate. I am wondering however, if there's something out there less labor intensive / complicated for my application. I'm usually only getting 4-6 days off a month right now and need the truck to run errands, family / friend visiting to catch up for the days I'm away. Catch 22 situation. Know what I mean?
Old 12-02-2007, 05:17 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
well, I run the GDP 392 kit on my 01. Now it isn't the be all/end all, but its darn close.

It has run through some -50 to -60 crap without a hitch. the pump itself failed OPEN during operation last summer, but that is an electrical fault, not a system issue. Otherwise, as long as you clean/deburr the return regulator valve, I have seen no problems with this system.

I have installed several up here already, on some trucks that get run hard, and shut off in the middle of nowhere for days on end in cold weather. The pumps never fail to run. These are all 2nd gen trucks, no 3rd gens yet, but it is coming, just a matter of time.

On my unit, I see 18psi, hot/cold/tepid etc. The pre-filter requires attention now and again, you will notice a mild pressure drop when it happens.

Try it out, currently it is the most reliable in all weather situations, next to a mechanical system.

good luck
Old 12-03-2007, 01:19 AM

Festus, I ran my fass for a year, hot cold you name it..,. worked great, never a blip. as for the filters etc, I wouldnt worry about that,, the mud mostly goes back, and the little bit that goes forward dosent seem to affect.. although I did see one guy that took an old mudflap and cut it down to fit in front of the fass,, good idea IMHO

Kevin
Old 12-03-2007, 08:54 AM

If you are worried about the filters Kerry - get the FASS without them or the Walbro.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by morkable
Festus, I ran my fass for a year, hot cold you name it..,. worked great, never a blip. as for the filters etc, I wouldnt worry about that,, the mud mostly goes back, and the little bit that goes forward dosent seem to affect.. although I did see one guy that took an old mudflap and cut it down to fit in front of the fass,, good idea IMHO

Kevin

Good idea indeed. Got me thinkin' now.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
If you are worried about the filters Kerry - get the FASS without them or the Walbro.
Could do that too. Once again I'm thinking still. Mostly about finding a lower price out there. I just think them guys are way over expanding the price of the parts in their kits.

I probably could get the parts lined up myself for cheaper, but at a time expense that I don't have.

We shall see what I can try to make happen when I have a chance.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:26 PM

are you useing a mechanical guage? no isolator or anything.

Mine guage is like that too, sluggish and low. until I get well into to operating temp.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:14 AM

Using the Quad Commander with the bolt right on the CP3. It gives me a fairly instant read corresponding to pedal pressure. I have not used an analog guage to confirm as the truck is usually rolling. I can't get the fuel pressure to drop lower than 4 psi when sitting in neutral and revving the motor. However, I can get it to drop fairly easily on power level 3 and engine is under load driving empty. I can't imagine what it'll do with a real heavy load on a trailer. Most towing so far has been relatively light.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:17 AM

Festus....just a heads up, www.pureflowtechnologies.com (Fuel Preporator) also has all their products on sale right now (both the pump only and pumps with filters)
Old 12-18-2007, 08:15 AM

Thanks Shane. I sent them a message with some technical questions I have.

Air removal from the fuel is a good idea...if it works as advertised.