Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Opinions / Ideas ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions / Ideas ??

Well Saturday I put in my new Vp and some 60hp injectors and adjusted the rockers got it all bled out and running yesterday evening and thought things were ok. Now this morning I went out to go to work and I had to crank it for about 10 seconds before she fired up,now I had a repeat 4 hours later when I went to lunch,but when I got back I shut it down and then tried it and she fired right up. Sooo I am guessing that somewhere I am loosing pressure? I looked at lunch and couldn't find anywhere at all that looked wet from fuel and it seems ok other than I am nervous about shutting her down. If this sounds like the problem is there anyway to find out where since everything looks to be ok? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by SKINNERBOY
Well Saturday I put in my new Vp and some 60hp injectors and adjusted the rockers got it all bled out and running yesterday evening and thought things were ok. Now this morning I went out to go to work and I had to crank it for about 10 seconds before she fired up,now I had a repeat 4 hours later when I went to lunch,but when I got back I shut it down and then tried it and she fired right up. Sooo I am guessing that somewhere I am loosing pressure? I looked at lunch and couldn't find anywhere at all that looked wet from fuel and it seems ok other than I am nervous about shutting her down. If this sounds like the problem is there anyway to find out where since everything looks to be ok? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
First two things I'd look at are: did you put in a new fuel filter? and check to see if your leak is sucking air instead of spewing fuel...
Old 10-29-2007, 09:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Does your fuel filler cap hiss when you take it off? In other words, does it appear that your fuel tank is pressurizing a little?
Old 10-29-2007, 10:09 PM

are all of your injection lines fully tightened.... particularly #6... easy way to see is with a flashlight from underneath the truck... you'll be able to see a little fuel on the line if it's not fully tightened
Old 10-30-2007, 05:03 AM

Thanks for the ideas. How might I check to see if the leak might be sucking? My fuel lid does not hiss when taking it off,and I didn't change my fuel filter Saturday because I had just changed it two weeks ago because I initally thought maybe that was part of my problem. I will get back under the hood tonight and triple check all the injector lines. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I fought the same problem as you for 10 months after an injector change. Everything seemed to help a little, and then finally I got greasy again and tightened every fitting on the return line system. Just follow it from the overflow valve on the VP and work your way back. It is tight and a real pain but good starts are priceless. You probably just put a little stress on the return line and for some reason, the clamps are really loose from the factory. Another place to check is the actual overflow valve. It is the Banjo Bolt on the return line=line farthest from the front of the truck, there are only two lines, one feed, one return.

FYI my biggest help came from tightening the clamps on the tee fitting where overflow fuel from the injectors/ head meets with the overflow from the VP and then returns from there to the tank. This tee is right behind the fuel filter housing, I had to remove my fuel filter housing to access this fitting area.

Sometimes I have hard starts due to the yellow lever on the fuel filter canister not closing air tight and allowing the filter housing to suck air and of course all that air gets pushed into the VP.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That overflow banjo bolt has a metal ball and a spring that is supposed to open at 15 psi. When I blew mine out with compressed air, it totally fixed my problem for 2 weeks. I think that the overflow gets a little dirty over time and lets air come back up the return system into the VP. I didn't discover my return system leaks till later so I think that the clean overflow was actually holding the air out of the VP till it got dirty again. Since tightening all the return line fittings, i have not had a problem.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:53 AM

Ok I will go back through everything i'm right in the middle of harvesting corn but iI gotta get this old girl running right it is driving me nuts. Thanks for all the ideas I will post back and let you know how things came out!
Old 11-05-2007, 05:11 AM

Ok I have traced every line that has fuel in it and checked every fitting on the truck. I took the check valve off the fuel return line at the pump and kind of washed it and blew air through it and everything seemed fine.Then i took a bottle of soap and water and squirted all over the engine and fuel lines to look for bubbles and couldn't find anything. Is there anything i could have set wrong adjusting the valves that might cause my problem? What about those crossover lines inside the head to the injectors is there anyway they are leaking and me not seeing it? I thought i might have heard a hissing coming from my bhaf but couldn't tell for sure if it was the AC eventhough I had it totallly shut off. If any of you can think of anything else let me know it is breaking my heart having to crank the old girl so long to get her running.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:48 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It could be a tight valve. What did you set them at? If the leak is sucking air it won't make bubbles. Try spraying starting fluid on the lines & listen for the change in engine sound. Check your dipstick to make sure that fuel isn't going into the crankcase.