ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Moving the calgary...maybe

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving the calgary...maybe

I had this posted in "other" but was told to post it here so here it is:
Alright guys so Im in the middle of some things that might be turning my eyes to canada. Its personal none of it is legal troubles or anything like that, mostly for school and my best friend lives there (calgary). Does anyone one what it takes to be able to work? I plan on doing an EMR course there then continuing on to my EMT at Prairie Univeristy. Id like to be able to go there at the beginning of the new year or a year from now. First off Ill be driving there from Fresno, California, so Ill have my truck, my dog, possibly a dirtbike, and a whole bunch of other belongings. What do I have to get to be able to work while studying there? What do I need to be able to live and study there? I heard that canada really has no problem with our trucks except for lifts and tires, do I need to get some kind of paperwork for my dog (pitbull), and the dirtbike is iffy but is there more paperwork I need for that too other then the ps and stuff? Im not going to even ask about guns cause I know its kind of a ironclad rule that non citizens cant own guns legally.
Wow, sorry for all the questions but I just wanna make this as easy as possible. Thanks guys
Old 08-25-2011, 02:21 PM

Dog and dirt bike I can answer, the rest I am not sure.

Dog, just make sure to have his/her vaccinations up to date (Rabies parvo ect...). You will have to be able to provide proof of this from a Vet.

Dirtbike you will need proof of ownership. If it is registered, and you have proof of registration even better, if not they should let you through with just proof of ownership.

Lift and Tires is only an issue if you plan to import it and register it here. If you plan to keep it reg'd in Cali it won't be an issue. It will also only be an issue at the time of inspection for import. This depends on how big of a lift (bumper height and head light height) Tires as long as they are inside of the fenders or flare should be fine.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:31 PM

As for work, you need to apply right away for a work visa. You shouldnt have too much problems with going to school. If you were going to just come to find work, you would need to find a company to sponsor you in order to get your work visa. Which in Fort McMurray is not hard to find at all,, not sure about Calgary, but I would think that it wouldnt be too tough there either. But you will need to get on that right away as it take some time for the process to happen.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:34 PM

If your registering it here you should check out a out of provence inspection report.. They want your brakes and other bits to be almost new..
Old 08-25-2011, 06:24 PM

I've taken the EMR course in Calgary. years ago mind you, but I'm certified EMR. Theres a few private schools that you can take the EMR course at, and get in quick. but they are more expensive than trying to take it at SAIT. At SAIT (Southern Alberta Institute of Technology) its harder to get in, as in get a seat, might have to be wait listed. but is far less expensive than the private places. The EMT-A and EMT-P programs are very expensive no matter where you go.

Wheres Prairie University? Never heard of it.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:33 PM

dvst8r: My truck has a 2" spacer up front with an add a leaf in the back and 37"s, the tires flair out 1-2 inches maybe more. How long would I be able to keep my truck reg'd california? If I could just do that, that would make things quite a bit easier, if I plan on staying in canada thats a different story. Thanks for your help

morkable: Do you have any idea what the visa costs if it does at all? My buddy works for a guy who does residential painting and he said he'd hire me no problem. Thanks for your help

Grand Geek: Like I said Ill be heading from california, not sure which route ill take, google maps has two different routes both taking 24-26 hours, one taking me through oregon,washington,idaho,montana, and the other through nevada, idaho, and montana. So if I can I dont really wanna go out of my way to get a good check in unless its absolutely critical.

1-5-3-6-2-4: Not sure what place it is that ill be doing the emr class, my buddy has already completed it and he knows all the info, I believe it costed him right around $900 for everything. Prairie is a christian college somewhere in alberta I think haha.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:50 PM

Ah I did not mean the emr course was expensive. When I did it about 10 years ago now, The emt-a was around $7000 and the emt-p was into $13,000 plus you have to do all the ridealongs and practicums

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2011, 12:14 AM

hey neck -

i'm sure the other guys are better at answering your truck/visa/dog/gun questions - but i can help you out with the EMS stuff. i am a paramedic here in alberta and did all my school at SAIT through & through (EMR, EMT-A, EMT-P). i started my first course in 2003 and have been working in the industry since completing EMT-A in 2005.

SAIT is a decent option, a little less expensive because the school gets govt funding, plus you can apply for a few scholarships. downside is class sizes - they are huge. private schools have much smaller class sizes, but are more expensive with less scholarships available. i have yet to hear of prairie university in talking with my peers and co-workers though . . .

some people go to school straight thru for all 3 course - i decided to work for a few years after completing EMT-A to make sure this industry was for me . . . all personal preference and/or whatever you get talked into!
Old 08-26-2011, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Doj Dewd
hey neck -

i'm sure the other guys are better at answering your truck/visa/dog/gun questions - but i can help you out with the EMS stuff. i am a paramedic here in alberta and did all my school at SAIT through & through (EMR, EMT-A, EMT-P). i started my first course in 2003 and have been working in the industry since completing EMT-A in 2005.

SAIT is a decent option, a little less expensive because the school gets govt funding, plus you can apply for a few scholarships. downside is class sizes - they are huge. private schools have much smaller class sizes, but are more expensive with less scholarships available. i have yet to hear of prairie university in talking with my peers and co-workers though . . .

some people go to school straight thru for all 3 course - i decided to work for a few years after completing EMT-A to make sure this industry was for me . . . all personal preference and/or whatever you get talked into!
My friend said he went to ahasti, then took the provincial exam. But if I were to go to SAIT I could get scholarships even as a non citizen? Thanks for the info!
Old 08-26-2011, 08:07 AM

http://sait.ca/pages/alumni/awards/s...ds/index.shtml
that is a link to the SAIT student awards page - lot's of links with lot's of info. should be able to find some answers there. i don't recall having to have canadian citizenship as any of the eligibility requirements for the awards i have applied for in the past . . . or maybe i didn't even think twice about it or notice because it would have not applied to me. if you can't find what you are looking for just call the awards office and they will steer you straight.

i have heard of and know many people who went to ahasti - sounds like the program is short and sweet . . .
Old 08-26-2011, 09:29 AM

Iirc it is 6month's straight, and then it will have to go back across the boarder, and then back again. I have a friend in BC, that lives near the boarder and all of his vehicles are registered and insured in Washington, he just has to take them across the boarder at least semi annually.

Other then the tires sticking out past the fenders it shouldn't be a big deal. If you do decide to register and insure here, find a cheap set of used tires, or see if you can borrow some stocker's for the day of the inspection. Everything else will have to be in tip top condition (Steering, brakes, driveline, glass, parking brake, lights, ect...)
Old 08-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Neck,
I figured that Dodj Dewd would help you out with info about the EMT stuff but since he had really mentioned it on the board I wasn't really comfortable spilling that news on my own.
I will be rather interested in hearing what you think about the winters in Alberta. They are going to be a tad chillier than you are accustomed to in Fresno.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tallguy67
Neck,
I figured that Dodj Dewd would help you out with info about the EMT stuff but since he had really mentioned it on the board I wasn't really comfortable spilling that news on my own.
I will be rather interested in hearing what you think about the winters in Alberta. They are going to be a tad chillier than you are accustomed to in Fresno.
hahahaha, the biggest thing im worried about is learning to drive in the snow and ice. Big trucks dont like to stop quick, but I can handle the cold. Im sure im gonna get sick and tired of it but Ive been sick and tired of fresnos 110 degree summers for the last 20 years!
Old 08-26-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by TheNeckasaurus
hahahaha, the biggest thing im worried about is learning to drive in the snow and ice. Big trucks dont like to stop quick, but I can handle the cold. Im sure im gonna get sick and tired of it but Ive been sick and tired of fresnos 110 degree summers for the last 20 years!
Go find an empty parking lot after a fresh snow and go whip donuts and learn how to control getting out of them. And slow down. 4wd doesn't help braking, and a lot of the vehicles you see in the ditch are mid sized 4wd SUV's. If you plan on spending time up here, invest in an Espar heater. They make -40 morning starts much easier.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:09 PM

bring cash and lots of it...

Quick Reply: Moving the calgary...maybe