ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Montana Shipping Trip this Summer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 02:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Montana Shipping Trip this Summer?

I'm in need of 4 new truck tires for our 5th wheel and will likely cruise to Sweetgrass Montana sometime in the next month or so.

Anyone else heading down there in the near future?

If not, and if anyone needs anything, I would be happy to pick it up for them.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Joe...give me a call before you head out...I have rims to ship...But my new ones are still back ordered.....

I'm hoping they will be here soon...
Old 06-04-2013, 07:23 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Now I have been through Sweetgrass but it seemed there was next to nothing there, we didn't stop, just passing through but is there anywhere to buy parts or do you have to get them shipped there then pick up?
Old 06-05-2013, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel Dave2
Joe...give me a call before you head out...I have rims to ship...But my new ones are still back ordered.....

I'm hoping they will be here soon...

Will do Dave. I'm in no hurry, perhaps in a month or so.

Originally Posted by Busboy
Now I have been through Sweetgrass but it seemed there was next to nothing there, we didn't stop, just passing through but is there anywhere to buy parts or do you have to get them shipped there then pick up?

LOL, there is nearly nothing in Sweetgrass except 2 large warehouses that cater to Canadians shipping goods there for pickup.

Shipping within the US is much cheaper than shipping to Canada plus you can avoid any brokerage charges plus many times the border patrol will let you thru without paying GST.
Many of us have picked up goods there previously. I've picked up goods there too many times to remember over the years.
However Sweetgrass is about a 6 hour roundtrip from Calgary so you have to make it a large load to make it worthwhile.

http://www.montanashipping.com/

http://www.attheborderstorage.com/Sw...l_Storage.html

I recommend Montana Shipping Outlet. They also have a warehouse in Eureka (just south of Fernie/Roosville).
Old 06-05-2013, 12:58 PM

I was pretty sure that was it but you never know what's hiding over the hill,. Thanks for the links I've bookmarked them, it is a long way from Edmonton though.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StealthDiesel

LOL, there is nearly nothing in Sweetgrass
Soo true, Central and Western Montana is beautiful, but in the North, there's where people go to die LOL the town in the banjo scene in Deliverance looks a lot more appealing.

Joe,
I did got a taillight for my wife's car shipped to Mars Gas and Grocery but I'm in no hurry to pick it up as I don't wanna do the drive just for that, so if I make a trip there with my truck I'll get in touch, and if you do get there before me, could you please pick it up for me? 403-483-5858
Alex
Old 06-08-2013, 07:39 AM

No problem Alex, I'll keep this thread updated as time progresses.

I just got the trailer back from a wheel alignment at Standens $$$. I may try to stretch the crappy Chinese Goodyear Marathon ST tire's another summer which would delay my Sweetgrass trip to this fall.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:24 AM

Well I was about to order the tires from Tire Rack but decided to stop by at Costco for another price check.
Costco is the cheapest for Michelin and BFGoodrich.

4 x LT245/75R16E BFGoodrich Commercial T/A All Season.
These are a highway summer rib truck tire excellent for RV trailer use.

Costco = CAD$980. All included: GST, mounting, balancing, high pressure valve stems.

Tire Rack = US$680 + $120 shipping to Montana + GST + mounting/balancing + high pressure valve stems + fuel + 6 hours travel.
=US$1040 + 6 hours travel.

It looks like Tirerack pricing has gone up and local Costco pricing has gone down. Definitely not worth going to Sweetgrass for these tires.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:37 PM

I just replaced the tires on my 2012 Rv 5ver with Michelin XPS ribs from Costco, I told them I wanted the old tires back for my dump trailer as they were almost new, the guy that did the change over kept them but the next day when the used tire bin was emptied they threw them out so they were gone. Costco was very good about it and compensated me well, I use Costco for my tire needs they are hard to beat especially the $15 mount and balance with free flat repairs and road hazard.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:44 PM

The Michelin XPS Ribs are likely the best 16" trailer tire you can get. That is an excellent choice.
However they are nearly twice the price of the BFGoodrich Commercial T/A All Seasons.
While the Michelin's are better than the BFGoodrich's, they are not twice as good!

Bridgestone also makes some excellent highway "rib" tires that would be excellent on an RV trailer but they are equally expensive as the Michelins.

The extremely expensive Goodyear RST G614's used to be a good RV trailer tire but they are now made off-shore and reports of failures are getting to be too common for that tire.

The next step up from the Michelin XPS rib would be to go 17.5" wheels and tires and then get into a true commercial tire.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:14 PM
Banned

Sweetgrass trip

I might be going or help someone that goes with the fuel/beer, I have a AFE turbo back exhaust(60"x19"x14" and 87 lbs), the firestone airbags and a tail light for my wife's WV, for what I have to pick up all I need is wife's car.
Anyone else having stuff to be picked up at Sweetgrass?
What do you have to be picked up(size/weight)my truck is a pig but I could haul my 4'x8' utility trailer with the VW?
I can go anytime between this weekend and 4-6 weeks from now when I'll have enough money for the tuner I'll need for the exhaust.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:52 AM

magiriano,

Have you gone to Sweetgrass yet......or is anyone else going in the near future?

I have (1) 80 lb package (outfitters tent stove), and (1) 3 ish lb package (wife's item) that I have just received emails that are there to be picked up.

Please let me know.

Kerry(780) 220-9753

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Festus
magiriano,

Have you gone to Sweetgrass yet......or is anyone else going in the near future?

I have (1) 80 lb package (outfitters tent stove), and (1) 3 ish lb package (wife's item) that I have just received emails that are there to be picked up.

Please let me know.

Kerry(780) 220-9753

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was there on June 30th, my exhaust and airlift are on since last Monday.
I do however wanna buy a front receiver hitch, it's 45 lbs and most likely 50"x20"x20", free shipping to the US or $30 to Canada. No rush so if I could help someone with their fuel cost I can have it shipped to Sweetgrass instead.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still wanting for my back ordered rims....