ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Injector problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 10:28 PM
krh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector problems

Hey guys, I've got more issues with the dodge, wanted to get your opinions.
Been burning more and more fuel lately, and smoky when cold, longer cranking to start. I figured i was due for injectors.
This morning the check engine light came on and i lost power, bad vibrations and sporadic smoke.
Checked the codes and its a p2149 and 0204. Looks like a bad injector. Checked the harness visually up to the valve cover and it all looks golden. Cleared codes, unhooked batteries and let it sit, immediately throws a code. Starts and runs rough most of the time, some time runs ok.
1.Does this sound like an injector?
2.My truck has 256000km on it, 50000 of those are on an out-of-frame rebuild. Should I do the complete set?
3.Would you change the gasket/harness while you were at it?
4.Would you change the lines from the rail to the crossover tubes?
5.Would you change the crossover tubes?
6.Anybody know anybody for a good price on parts?
7.Should i just light this no-good cummapart on fire?
8. Last question. I have dynamite diesel 50hp tips on the injectors, Had them there since the rebuild. Would you swap these to the new injectors or are there other options.

I appreciate any help you guys can offer. Currently without wheels, short on cash and moving into a new house at the end of the month. So any suggestions, info and insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:54 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
The wire that breaks loose is internal you need to pull the valve cover to check. The #4 injector wiring where it passes through the gastket to the external connections breaks loose. Cut the little plastic tie strap and the wire will most likely come loose from the connection. Replace the gastket if that happens. Injector resistance should be less then 1 ohm but more then 0 ohm if not replace injector.

I circled in red where the loose connection could be if injector check OK
Old 11-01-2011, 10:53 AM
The Guru

Originally Posted by krh
Hey guys, I've got more issues with the dodge, wanted to get your opinions.
Been burning more and more fuel lately, and smoky when cold, longer cranking to start. I figured i was due for injectors.
This morning the check engine light came on and i lost power, bad vibrations and sporadic smoke.
Checked the codes and its a p2149 and 0204. Looks like a bad injector. Checked the harness visually up to the valve cover and it all looks golden. Cleared codes, unhooked batteries and let it sit, immediately throws a code. Starts and runs rough most of the time, some time runs ok.
1.Does this sound like an injector?
2.My truck has 256000km on it, 50000 of those are on an out-of-frame rebuild. Should I do the complete set?
3.Would you change the gasket/harness while you were at it?
4.Would you change the lines from the rail to the crossover tubes?
5.Would you change the crossover tubes?
6.Anybody know anybody for a good price on parts?
7.Should i just light this no-good cummapart on fire?
8. Last question. I have dynamite diesel 50hp tips on the injectors, Had them there since the rebuild. Would you swap these to the new injectors or are there other options.

I appreciate any help you guys can offer. Currently without wheels, short on cash and moving into a new house at the end of the month. So any suggestions, info and insight is greatly appreciated.
I have a complete set of used injectors for an 06, low miles. I can also source new injectors. The 05 has multi connector wire harness, which is different than the above picture. You could the ohm test on the wire harness and pull the injectors out for testing. Could be lots of issues from a bad lift pump, bad CP and/or injectors.

As for burning the truck to the ground, not sure what to say. Been there a few times myself. Really not much of a common rail fan, they have way to many issues to me.

I have a spare fresh common rail engines 03/04 and to couple 4.5-07 CR's. I don't even own a 5.9L CR truck. 6.7L have similar issues, so its not much of an upgrade.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:37 PM

Measure the resistance on each injector should be ~0.8ohms, I believe. Sounds like its #4,5 or 6. If the solenoid is bad you can change just it, if you can find a good used one.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
There was a thread on ABDiesels with good info on the same codes & issue.

http://abdiesels.com/forum/index.php...opic=4618&st=0

Here's a quote from my post on that thread:

The P2149 DTC is a bad one for the commonrail engines as it does usually mean a #6 injector failure which can be disastrous for the #6 cylinder & the engine.
(P2149 means that the ECM has detected a problem with firing injectors in bank 2, cylinders 4-6.)

Here is some PD info on P2149:

Case Number K30540141
Vehicle Issue MIL and the engine runs rough. P2146 or P2149 are logged.;No wiring problems such as a chafed or shorted wire are found per P2146 / P2149 diagnostics.

System or Component Engine Misfire,Rough / Unstable / Erratic Idle,Lack of Power / Sluggish;DTC / Error Message;Yes - Continuously

Recommendation One at a time, disconnect both wires from each injector and insulate the terminal ends so the circuit will not short to ground on the effected bank (1-3 for P2146 or 4-6 for P2149).
Clear the codes and start the engine, check if the same code resets. If an injector is disconnected and the code does not reset, replace that injector.

As always, make sure the oil level has not gone up & if it has, do not run the engine until the issue is fixed.

Good luck Kevin & I hope it's nothing serious..
Old 11-06-2011, 11:35 AM
krh

number 4 injector measures at 1.4 ohms. the rest are down between .3 - .5. Could you PM me what you want for the set there holmen, as well as what one injector would run me. If anyone wants to buy this truck it is for sale. Moving just down the street from work. PM me if you're interested. Or look on kijiji
Old 11-06-2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by krh
number 4 injector measures at 1.4 ohms. the rest are down between .3 - .5. Could you PM me what you want for the set there holmen, as well as what one injector would run me. If anyone wants to buy this truck it is for sale. Moving just down the street from work. PM me if you're interested. Or look on kijiji
If you can find some one with a bad injector but still a good solenoid just change #4 solenoid out you don't even need to remove the injector. Of course 6 new injectors would be the best way to go but might not be necessary.