ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

How smokey should aftermarket injectors be on a 3rd gen truck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 01:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
How smokey should aftermarket injectors be on a 3rd gen truck?

So I took the injectors out of my old toasted motor and put them in the truck(the '03). I'm getting a fair bit of smoke from them. Almost enough that I wonder if I had a bad injector that toasted the old motor. Obviously I don't want to toast the new motor.

They are edge stage 1 nozzels. With the Edge J/A on start up the truck pours out a huge cloud of grey smoke. Once warmed up if I just blip the throttle it belchs out a pretty good cloud of smoke.

Is this common for aftermarket injectors on 3rd gens or is there a problem?

When I had the '01 I put RV275s into it and never noticed a smoke increase.....
Old 04-25-2009, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What level on the Juice? On level 5 (hot) my truck would smoke pretty good,, that cloud of grey though worries me,,, I would allmost think that your injectors are bleeding,, something like that
Old 04-25-2009, 11:16 PM

What was the rating on the toasted engine again? They ran pistons with different bowl diameters. The wider the bowl, the more timing you can run without spraying outside the bowl. If you are running wide angle injectors on a small bowl, with timing advanced, then that may be causing the smoke issue. Something to look into.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:31 AM

The Edge is on 0(stock).

The toasted engine is in an HO, I'm running an SO now.

The injectors had similar numbers on them... Plus wouldn't the nozzels set the pattern?
Old 04-26-2009, 03:35 PM

you definately have an issue with your injectors. On level 0 you should not have smoke on start (shouldnt have that anyways) and you shouldnt have much smoke under WOT. Pull those injectors before you end up with another issue
Old 04-26-2009, 09:57 PM

Well I went to play with it today and they are MUCH better behaved. No smoke on startup or at idle or at WOT on setting 0-2, 3 and 4 have a haze. Setting 5 will get me ticket if a cop ever saw it. Car behind me completely disappeared. This was with the Edge's smoke settings all on the lowest level.

I pulled the valve cover anyway and disconnected all injectors one by one to see if there was much difference but didn't notice anything.

I then hooked up the new redneck toy hauler(about 8K empty) and took it for a spin. All was good.

Still more smoke than I like but I HATE smoke and would prefer my truck not to have ANY at all.

Power is defiantly up. Low end is WAY up. Setting 1 on edge now feels like 3. Funny thing is top end feels about the same, maybe a bit smoother. The different settings on the Edge don't have the same "kick" up in power as they used to when rolling up thru the levels. Level 5 feels the same but puts out 10X more smoke.

As a comparison with my stock injectors and the edge on levels 0-4 I didn't get any noticeable smoke at all.

Maybe I just didn't go for a long enough test drive yesterday....

Not sure yet how EGTs will be. I could hit 1300F pretty easy with the trailer on rolling up to speed on the highway. I was also driving in snow so we'll see hoe it is once the weather warms up.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:24 PM

Im glad that they are working better,,, now you need a pressure box. That will help out immeasureably.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:20 PM

What will a pressure box do for me? I saw an Edge EZ for sale pretty cheap awhile back. If I remember right it does pressure.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:55 PM

edge ez is an excellent little box, either that, or a dr P, or an MP8. My personal choice would be the dr p, then the ez, and lastly the mp8. A pressure box, will give you the extra power at the top end that now seems lacking. I found that once I added a pressure box, I never wanted to drive without it
Old 04-27-2009, 11:39 PM

Too slow, the EZ was gone already. too bad good price.

I imagine it would be a good idea to have a rail pressure gauge on before playing around with a pressure box?
Old 04-28-2009, 12:15 AM

nah,,no real need. They will only ramp it up so far.. and to be honest, you arent going to be looking at that darn gauge anyways, unless you really mean too, trust me I know.... you should be able to find an edge ex for less than a 100 or a dr p for around 2 hundred
Old 04-28-2009, 07:46 PM

ok thanks I'll keep an eye out.....
Old 05-27-2009, 06:16 PM

I just insalled my nozzels the other day and they did the same. And at start mine was hazy too. But after going for a good drive it smartened right up. As for smoke, these things are not as bad as i thought there were gonna be. Im thinkin that im gonna get a CP3 and clutch real soon as im now draining the rail(i get a pop in 2-3 gear at WOT) and i can finally make the clutch slip(it is still the original clutch with 228061km on it). But so far for the price that anybody got the edge jammers for the 03-04's, well worth the money IMO.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the info.

I did a heavy tow over the long weekend and since then it seems they've quieted down quite a bit. Still hear a rattle but not nearly so loud.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:32 PM

Ya i just left my smarty on 9 and my ez on 50 and so far so good but i need a clutch really soon. All i can say though is i didnt think they would make that much better power and resonse but they sure did.

Quick Reply: How smokey should aftermarket injectors be on a 3rd gen truck?