ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Fuel tank straps

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel tank straps

Hey guys...This is a warning...I almost lost my tank today and slice a hole in the tank itself....This has happened in the past on my truck...There was a slice on the tank that I could not figure out why when I bought the truck...Well today I found out...The front strap snapped and the tank swinged out towards the driveshaft counter balance..The counter balance almost sliced a big hole in my tank again...Which trust me...Once these plastic tanks get a hole in them...There is no way of patching them...I tried...

I was going to get used straps but went with new ones...I'm going to figure out how to install two extra straps...
Old 06-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Warning heard. With all the gravel road my 97 sees, I wonder how bad they are against the frame where I can't see them.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:28 PM

I don't know Jason...Maybe it's just my truck...This is the second time for a snapped front strap...Like I said...Now I know what happened to the first tank...Almost destroyed the second one..

With the size of these tanks full,thats alot of weight for only two straps...Then pound them on pot holes..Something has to give..Would be a real ordeal if the back one let loose at the same time..Now that would be a mess..I noticed the tank is very front end heavy..

Re-inforcement time..
Old 06-05-2012, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the price of fuel I dont have to worry about having a full tank...
Old 06-05-2012, 09:18 PM

Come on, fuel is 9 cents cheaper in Leduc than other places, like Devon. You're in the land of cheap fuel!
Old 06-05-2012, 10:42 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Thanks for the reminder, I saw a bit of corrosion on my straps a while ago, then forgot to do anything about it. Time to get some located.

As far as an auxiliary strap for emergencies, I remember seeing a couple of farm trucks years ago with a chain running under each strap, just in case. Would probably be pretty easy to rig up.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:02 PM

I'm still P'Od.....I have a nice gash on the side of the tank...I was luck it's not through my perfect replacement tank..But it's very close to a hole....

It's my fault for not inspecting my truck on a monthly basis...I have no idea how long the strap was broken...Noticed something hanging under my truck when I was at the Canadian tire parking lot...

I think a good bounch on one good pothole would of ripped the tank right out..

Got the new straps today...
Old 06-06-2012, 09:24 AM

I stil lcan't believe those new straps come in raw steel too - powdercoated mine before installing. They are officially the cleanest/least rusty parts on my truck.

I also coated the ends that disappear into the frame with waterproof grease prior to installation. I am counting on that to help some.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:52 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave2
I'm still P'Od.....I have a nice gash on the side of the tank...I was luck it's not through my perfect replacement tank..But it's very close to a hole....

It's my fault for not inspecting my truck on a monthly basis...I have no idea how long the strap was broken...Noticed something hanging under my truck when I was at the Canadian tire parking lot...

I think a good bounch on one good pothole would of ripped the tank right out..

Got the new straps today...

Dave, was the fuel tank strap rusty and then it snapped? If it wasn't rusty, I wonder what caused it to fail?

Also, I thought it was possible to plastic weld/repair plastic fuel tanks, perhaps not?

Originally Posted by jstone44720
I stil lcan't believe those new straps come in raw steel too - powdercoated mine before installing. They are officially the cleanest/least rusty parts on my truck.

I also coated the ends that disappear into the frame with waterproof grease prior to installation. I am counting on that to help some.

Great idea.. Powdercoating the straps would be quick, simple & nicely preventative.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:22 AM

Even Rustoleum flat black has to be better than nothing. A friend used some 3M aerosol undercoating on his S-10 straps and they aren't rusty at all after 6 years.

How are the fuel, brake, and E-brake lines and cables holding up? I have had to replace all those on mine within 6 mos to a year of the first strap letting go.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by jstone44720
Even Rustoleum flat black has to be better than nothing. A friend used some 3M aerosol undercoating on his S-10 straps and they aren't rusty at all after 6 years.

How are the fuel, brake, and E-brake lines and cables holding up? I have had to replace all those on mine within 6 mos to a year of the first strap letting go.
So far the orginal fuel lines are ok...But I did replace bought e-brakes a couple of years ago..

The straps did have rust on them.. thanks for the input...I'm going to coat the new ones with something..

I tried to repair the old tank...With the tank repair plus a large area was fibreglassed on top..Roughed up to make sure it had good tooth..I think the fibreglass didn't work because these plastic tanks do flex alot..It lasted about 2 years before it started to leak again..
Old 06-06-2012, 02:56 PM

Higher end autobody shops do have methods of welding the plastic bumper covers on newer cars. The methods are specifically chosen to promote flex and not re-crack. You might be able to find someone that could do that sort of thing for you if you are still trying to repair the old tank.

What brand and source did you use for the e-brakes? O'reilley's is killing me with wrong/bad parts so I ordered Raybestos from rock auto last night. This is what I'm hoping is the last issue of this kind for me on this truck, and everything has hit within a year of that strap dying.