ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Checking Rail Pressure

Old 10-15-2012, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checking Rail Pressure

Does anyone have anything I can borrow to check my rail pressures at idle/partial load/full load?

I am in Airdire
Old 10-15-2012, 05:22 PM

it would be a good investment to get a rail pressure gauge,,, it is tough to come by a temp gauge that will handle up to 28k of pressure... I could be wrong, too bad I sold mine, I would have let you use it no problem
Old 10-15-2012, 10:07 PM

I am trying to get a quick check to see how my rail pressure is. I would like to install rail pressure and fuel pressure one day but was hoping to just scan off the trucks sensor.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:01 AM

I hear ya,, unfortunately the only place to check rail pressure is right from the sensor. Which caps at 27900, even if you are higher. Are you having issues with the truck right now?
Old 10-16-2012, 01:04 PM

Looks like I just bought a rp gauge form a local member so I will install that. I am having what I feel to be the very early signs of injector issues (intermittent white smoke) I also feel that my cp3 with 260,000kms on it is a little weak.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:38 PM

ahh, I see.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:02 PM
The Guru

Can you hear the rail relief popping? I have a few spare CP's if you need one.

Lucky injectors aren't that much money and are available these day. I can help you out with replacement injectors if you need something?

You running old style or new style injectors?
Old 10-23-2012, 09:24 PM

Not sure what to listen for? What exactly should I listen for?

I have swapped out injectors and all the same symptoms where still there so injectors is ruled out. I am still waiting to get the RP gauge so I can get a reading on that. How much do you want for a CP? How many km are on them?
Old 10-24-2012, 11:01 AM
The Guru

We can try it and see how well it works. I also have spare rail and injectors. I have a bunch of them, all low miles. Duramax, 5.9L's stuff and one 6.7L

Usually it makes a clicking noise. Each time it occurs the rail pressure loses pressure.

I'm lucky my (6.7L) h&s has a rail pressure indicator, but it still uses the factory sensor. Have to wait till next weekend, I'm down south dakota for abit.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:00 AM

Sounds good no worries. Let me know when you are back. Anyone know how much a diesel shop would charge to just scan the RP for me?
Old 10-26-2012, 12:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Temporarily checking the rail pressure is not that useful unless you have a no start condition or the truck is running really poor.
Just like lift pump fuel pressure, you really need to drive the truck, put it under load and different conditions to see what's going on & if anything is wrong.

I recommend that you go ahead and purchase a rail gauge.
A rail gauge is useful for many things in addition to fuel system monitoring.
You can really see the difference in RP when making HP level and parameter changes with a programmer and if (when) you go to EFI Live.

I've had a DiProcal rail pressure gauge for 6 or 7 years with no issues. It was a pricey investment but it has been worth it.
Unfortunately DiProcal no longer exists.

Options for a RP gauge include the solder in Autometer, although it can be made plug and play with a PPE rail gauge harness, the plug and play Ispro.
Recently the OBDII "gauges" are also able to read rail pressure from the ECM.
The Dashdaq, Edge Insight and the Scangauge are a few examples.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:09 PM

Thats a good point I still want to get one and I will.

I think I am going to go with the EV'2.

I will be ordering from Diesel Manor does anyone else need one/want one?? I want to place the order tomorrow so let me know. We could split shipping charges.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:20 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Classy, I have had an Edge Insight since just after I got my truck. It is good for anything you can read over the OBD2 plus some add on sensors. If you want to know anything about it, just let me know.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:03 PM

Hi Tallguy, I like your screen name. I used to have that nick name a while back!

What kind of useful paramaters do you monitor with yours beside Rail Pressure? I like the mechnical guages but the Insight is interesting.

It looks like I may be able to expand it one day to be able to measure oil pressure or low side fuel pressure. Which are 2 things that I would like to know one day.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Classy, there are something crazy like 20 things I can monitor with my Insight. I currently monitor engine temp, tranny temp, boost, gear, speed and a couple of other datasets I can't remember right now. I have the Edge Accesory System sitting in may barn to add oil and fuel pressure when I get a couple of hours off. With the latest version of the software from Edge you can log a bunch of the data sets while you drive and then download them to a computer later. I don't work for Edge or anything like that, but I have been really impressed with their product and customer service. The only thing I wish I had done differently was I wish I had bought the color touch screen. You get more screen space for data if you have the color touch screen then the older version I bought

PM me with an email address if you want really detailed information. I don't type all that well on this iPad but I can give you lots of info over email, if you are interested.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Checking Rail Pressure