ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Bone head engine removal question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, all this talk of twins makes my mouth water.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:17 PM
The Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jason, we just have to get a set on your 12v
Old 07-09-2009, 11:08 PM

Tate I have a mig here, lots of wire, and a full bottle of gas... I am just not a good welder. I also have a banks IC so it is bigger inlets than a normal IC too,, we will probably have to modify the pipe some, but thats not a biggie. And I am sure that we can get some 4 " muffler pipe or some flex pipe to work. I have a 5" to 4" adaptor already. I think that all I really need to pick up is a battery, some cable and ends.... the rest you should have,, if you are able to get a head gasket that is
Old 07-10-2009, 08:27 AM
The Guru

Kev, I think once Tate welds up the new elbow, it should go pretty smoothly. The worst case is you have to buy some 3in exhaust bits and do some more welding. I'm going to buy a piping bender that can bend stuff up to 3in, just so I don't have to weld bits and pieces together. Thats where air leaks seem to be. You might want to do some leak checks. I just use soapy water and some air pressure. Then you can see how good of a welder you are. Then I cheat and put a 3in hose over the weld and put on some clamps, as I'm lazy. It doesn't have to be pretty, to work.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:38 PM

If you need the GT42 adapted at all (90 degree welded on, or a reducer ect...) I have a TIG at home and would be happy to weld it on before it goes up to you. I owe Mike some beer anyway so I can just pick up the turbo when I go to drop that off.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:50 PM

Thank you for the offer,, but to be honest, i dont actually know what I need, LOL,, this is going to be seat of the pants,, i wish I was closer
Old 07-10-2009, 05:26 PM
The Guru

Kev, is the head on the truck? How together is the truck? Let me know if you still want the turbo, its just sitting around waiting its turn to get abused.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Kev, is the head on the truck? How together is the truck? Let me know if you still want the turbo, its just sitting around waiting its turn to get abused.
His head is sitting in the front entry way of my current residence.

I'd think if we can get some boots, it would be easier than welding. Easier to fix leaks, and faster to change things around. And that will be a big help since we will be under the gun. If the discharge is 3", get a 3" 90degree boot, and then from 3" to whatever the IC is (4"?) and we can just run a straigh pipe to it. You don't have AC anymore, right? If you actually do a hood(less) stack, we could have that turbo running in no time. As long as the oil lines will work. Mike, you have those set up already?
Old 07-10-2009, 11:36 PM
The Guru

No I have done nothing with the oil lines. The drain will work,the supply shouldn't be that big of deal either, I think. I do have about 3ft of 3 1/2in flex hose available if required. Its what ever you want to finish the truck with Tate, as your the guy doing the wrenching, I have to go to the State for abit, so I'm not a lot of help with it project.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:00 AM

When I get back to home I will do some measuring.

No AC anymore,, lots of room to work, no wheel wells either. I think what I am going to do is buy some flex pipe to run the exhaust. I think that will be the easiest.

I am going to try and work on it as much as possible in the mean time,, but I need some help with welding on a couple of things. But I should be able to get a few of the other things done,, should have the nitrous all figured out for the most part,, might have the battery re located should have the front driveshaft hoop changed out. If I really get motivated I might even have the front springs done too.

I really want to go racing, can you tell,, LOL
Old 07-11-2009, 12:03 AM

What kind of line does a person need for the oil line on that unit? I have a fair quanity of steel braided line here, -4 -6 and -8an line.. just need to buy the ends for it
Old 07-11-2009, 12:16 AM

what kind of flex you thinking of?

I'm pretty sure I have a section of new 5" flex in my garage. that stuff ain't cheap I remember. if you got a way. I got it.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:47 PM

Could you get it to Tate? That would be awesome! THanks Luke,, or give it to Mike, and he will get it to Tate
Old 07-11-2009, 07:04 PM
The Guru

The oil and drain line off your S366 should work. Worst case you run a 5/8 heater hose to the turbo drain on the oil pan. You get the head on? Everything back together, is it running? If all you have to do is install the turbo, buddy, I think that your racing. Worst case take the truck to a exhaust shop or find a welding outfit. They have them up there. Most are pretty decent welders. The turbo is in my garage, on my spare motor. I'm heading to Chicago, anybody going to Mcmurray? I really want you run this turbo buddy, I have lots of fingers crossed.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:46 PM

Tate is going to pick it up from you. He has my head already. When are you going to Chicago? Is there a way for Tate to get that from you? I think he is in Edmonton right now

Quick Reply: Bone head engine removal question.