Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   ABDTR #5 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/abdtr-5-123/)
-   -   Bone head engine removal question. (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/abdtr-5-123/bone-head-engine-removal-question-245752/)

Swamp_Donkey 06-20-2009 03:32 PM

Bone head engine removal question.

I am in the final stages of removing my engine from my 98. I have everything undone/removed except for the engine mounts and the transmission bell housing bolts. Big question is do I have to undo my torque converter bolts or does the torque converter come out with the engine? Cant seem to figure out where the torque converter bolts are accessed and removed from the flex plate. Unless it is where you would put in an engine barring tool..... might pull that off. Going to twist off a few more bolts and check back in an hour. The $100 + factory service manual is vague. Undo this and that and lift out motor. No mention at all of the flex plate/transmission!

Mike Holmen 06-20-2009 03:40 PM

There is two plugs in the front aluminum housing (passager side, behid the turbo). You have to remove the plugs to gain access to the bolts for the TC. Yes, remove the TC. You have to remove the transmission or slid it backwards with the torque converter. You can leave the transfer case attach but you have to remove the axle u-joints. Its darn darn heavy stuff. Tons of work removing the engine in these trucks. The entire truck has to come apart.[laugh] Having fun buddy...[laugh] Said any nasty words yet..[laugh]

1-5-3-6-2-4 06-20-2009 03:44 PM

yes pull the converter bolts and leave the converter on the tranny....you will thank yourself later.

the access port is directly above or below the turning tool port. can't recall exactly but they're top&bottom to each other on the passengerside of the flywheelhousing. 6 bolts. you'll have to support the tranny before pulling those bolts. floor jack and a board under the pan would be fine. then chain up the bellhousing to the frame after the engine is out. so it doesn't creep down on you and crack a housing or something like that.

Swamp_Donkey 06-20-2009 03:56 PM

Whooo hooo. Thanks guys. Going to see what I can wreck! So close that it is my mission to get the motor out today.

Mike Holmen 06-20-2009 04:11 PM

You can use a pry bar to rotate the engine on the starter ring. You have to remove that little access door that faces forward. If you have a barring tool, you could use that instead (most of us don't). Impact tools and knowing where all the bolts are helps. You can do it pretty fast, but its good to take lots of pictures as it comes apart. You'll thank yourself afterwards.

Swamp_Donkey 06-20-2009 06:29 PM

Pictures? What is that? [dummy] It is pretty much out now and not one single pic. My memory is not that good considering I started taking the motor out of my truck like a month ago or more it could be a little interesting putting it back together...... LOL

Tate 06-20-2009 10:58 PM

If you can't remember where the bolts go, do yourself a favour and bag and tag them, or, screw them back into the holes after you get the part removed. 8mm bolts are all over these engines, and some are slightly longer than others.

ram4by 06-20-2009 11:45 PM

Yeah dont do like me,, I have bolts everywheres in my garage. It will be fun putting it back together. BTW Tate, my heads done, I just have to go and pick it up

ram4by 06-20-2009 11:46 PM

LOL, Can you tell Steve is at my house, I am obviously logged in as him

Kevin

Diesel Dave2 06-20-2009 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by ram4by (Post 2509165)
LOL, Can you tell Steve is at my house, I am obviously logged in as him

Kevin

[laugh][laugh][laugh].................

Tate 06-21-2009 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by ram4by (Post 2509163)
Yeah dont do like me,, I have bolts everywheres in my garage. It will be fun putting it back together. BTW Tate, my heads done, I just have to go and pick it up

Right on brother. When is the big wrenching week? This week I'm back to work, and sounds like I'll be back there again on the 17th.

morkable 06-21-2009 11:50 AM

Works for me!

Tate 06-21-2009 12:50 PM

I should clarify, I'll be back at Dow on the 17th. Are you gonna have parts around the 10th or so?

morkable 06-21-2009 06:55 PM

I have basically everything here, except the head (which is done, just needs to be picked up) and a couple odds and sods, other than the twins.

I am going to be in GP on the 10th and 11th, coming home on the 12th. If that works for you?

Kevin

Tate 06-21-2009 11:34 PM

Lets tentatively book it for me coming up on the 12th then. You have a stock turbo/manifold we can throw on for running the truck without the twins?