ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cLAYH
I hear you on the warrenty, doesn't help me either if I'm a half day down a trail in Waiporous, stuck in a frozen mud hole and the battery conks out. Not happy to hear you had trouble with yours. Were they the spiral grid ones like the Optimas? Hopefully mine go longer than yours did.
Nope not the spirals. All CT batteries are made by Exide. Exide has comparable batteries to Optima, but the guy at the counter at AutoValue told me to look at other brands (ie optima)... And Exide is all they sell!!!.. That pretty much told me what to think of Exide..
Old 12-10-2009, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Name:  IMG00675-20091210-0737.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  52.3 KB
Old 12-10-2009, 10:12 PM

well normally a long warranty means they put out a better product, but It doesn't always hold true. The one thing i heard about the spiral battery is when they do go bad they will not give you any warning, not that normal cell type always give warning. I still think i'd like tog et the spiral type, i'm just to cheap lol
Old 12-10-2009, 11:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lil Dog
Nope not the spirals. All CT batteries are made by Exide. Exide has comparable batteries to Optima, but the guy at the counter at AutoValue told me to look at other brands (ie optima)... And Exide is all they sell!!!.. That pretty much told me what to think of Exide..
Umm you took advice from a guy behind the counter at an Autovalue?

Looks like Exide makes the Orbital brand battery and thats what the CT eliminator is.

With all the failures the local 4wd community has had with Optimas I wasn't interested in another one, mine lasted about 3 years and the Jeep only gets driven about once a week. No one seems to want to take a chance on them lately. I read good things on the Jeep site about the eliminators and few guys have had them for about 1 or 2 years now and are still ok so we'll see.

We'll have to drag this thread up a year from now and compare.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by 1-5-3-6-2-4
do these batteries have side posts also?
do they fit on each side of our trucks without modification?
Old 12-11-2009, 12:29 AM

I've had really good luck with the Interstate green top batteries, and really bad luck with the CT Eliminators--drain them once or twice and they never hold a good charge again.

Also had Optima Red Top in a couple of trucks, seems like they can't handle the cold like the Interstates do . . . .
Old 12-11-2009, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Doj Dewd
I had to cut out on end of my battery tray to fit group 31s. Imagine would be same deal with these.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tate
I had to cut out on end of my battery tray to fit group 31s. Imagine would be same deal with these.
Me too - I had to make longer hold down rods as well. Also, be careful with the height on Group 31's - the posts can be awful close to the hood = major sparkage !

Also, these babies are heavy - about 80 pounds each.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Doj Dewd
I believe most Commercial group 31's dont have the dual post configuration. Have dual posts on my Optimas and man is that handy.

Another thing when buying commercial Group 31's - some have screw terminals and not the conventional SAE terminals that we are used to. However you can get adapters for the screw terminals to convert them to the SAE type.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by 1-5-3-6-2-4
they are made in the USA. for sure. I asked the parts foreman, the company is called Power Batteries - IIRC.

any way they are Detroit Diesel brand. Group 31, 1000cca $90 over the counter at Waterous.
Thanks Luke ! Are those a sealed battery?

The more and more responses here I see just reinforces the fact that there are very few battery manufacturers. Probably three different people have recommended batteries and they are all rebadged Dekas. Which is what I initially had. I had premature failure and Im starting to think I just had bad luck - I did replace my alternator last winter, so maybe it was undercharging or some other issue.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Me too - I had to make longer hold down rods as well. Also, be careful with the height on Group 31's - the posts can be awful close to the hood = major sparkage !

Also, these babies are heavy - about 80 pounds each.
I never had sparkage, but I threw gloves over the positive terminals just incase. I also adjusted the hood higher to prevent such incidents.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:04 AM

they are sealed units. yup.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:21 AM

That is exactly what I was looking for - couldnt find them until now.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Monday in the worst of this cold snap my truck wouldn't crank up so i left it plugged in for most of the day with a battery charger on it and it finally lit up.

I work for a John Deere dealer so i just ordered up a pair of the JD batteries, not too sure who makes them but it's super easy for me to return them if I have an issue so that's the way I went.

Hopefully install them this weekend.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:59 PM
The Guru

bump, I need some help to find and get the best batteries for my buck. My truck needs a battery charger on all night to start in the morning, so I'm gonna out on a limb here, that I need fresh batteries. Anyways, I been doing some looking around, it seems that everyone has a different rating on there batteries. The other day, I did a test on my old batteries. Not on the charger and overnight, I hooked up my voltmeter. I measured the voltage drop during the entire time to cycle my heater grids. I could drop my voltage down to 8.4volts, starting from 11.8 volts. Of course once the grids cycle out, the voltage does come back-up to low 11's volts. I have to drive my rig abit here shortly, so I need to get this fixed ASAP. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Batteries