ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Batteries

Battery issues AGAIN.

I put Red Tops in my 12V last fall - they havent missed a beat - so far, Im very happy with them.

Now, my 24V has Costco specials that are only a year and a half old (and are comletely dead). I bought them based on good recommendations from the site members here. I dont really want to invest in another set of Optimas at the moment - so what batteries have you guys had good luck with?

Im asking here because I only want to hear from people that live in the climate that we do.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:44 AM

I got costco batterys in mine, put them in a yr ago, when I had that issue with the grids sucking them dead after I parked it for the night,
Costco has an excellent warrenty, you should have no problems exchanging them...even without the reciept (at least I have never had an issue returning something)
IIRC the kirkland batterys have a 3yr exchange and 100month pro-rated warrenty.
I've put Costco batterys in 2 or 3 cars I've had over the yrs, longest I had was 5yrs on the same batterys in a toyota diesel, when IO sold the truck it was still cranking it over fine,

Funny thing I was in at Excide (117ave -166st approx) Friday. I was doing a pick up, and delivering to 2 different Parts Sources for them, and he (the shipper) was peeling off exide stickers and replacing them with another, he claims they distribute to 98% of all retailers, all just about all batterys no matter who's name is on them is made by the same manufacture, Kirkland is not made by them (excide)
Old 12-07-2009, 12:55 AM

Hmmm....well Im sure I have the receipt. And reasonably sure I wont have trouble with replacement. But still thinking about something better.

Thanks Nick !

Im getting very frustrated trying to keep 2 ageing diesel trucks going when it gets COLD - makes for a long winter.

BTW, you have to come out to some of our GTG's and meet everyone.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:55 AM

I got two Group 31 batteries in my 12v, formerly in the dually. 900 CCA each. Only issue I have had is the acid getting low, had to top them up twice with distilled water. Never let me down yet. I got a single Napa 780 CCA battery in my dually now. Its fine in the warmer weather, I'm tempted to go try and start it in this cold snap to see if if can do it. If it does, I'd be real impressed.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put Autozone Duralast Gold group 65s in my truck October 08. Still running strong. If I had the extra cash to spend, I would buy Sears Platinum manufactured by Odyssey.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought some sort of Canadian Tire battries about 4 years ago..because they where on sale..So far they are working ok...I must of got lucky,but then you guys run your trucks way more than I do...
Old 12-07-2009, 11:02 AM

I am not sure of the manufactures in Canada , I suspect its the same as what avalable in US .
But there are only [ last I checked , when I was in the auto repair bis. ] about 3 manufactures , they make all the batteries and put others brands name on them .
They will not make other batteries as good as there own , and the same with all product / manufacturing .
As far as the best battery to go out & buy , then there is very little variables in the same class of battery , so that leaves mostly the service .
As a past interstate battery dealer [ because of finding the quality & service being what I wanted in my shop ] , they are my 1st choice Interstate Batteries .
At this time I have batteries from BatteriesPlus .
I went around to several sellers and asked if I came in from cross country drive [ no connection to the store ] , what will happen if I bring in a battery during its warranted time , the ones I would not consider were the ones that said I need a receipt or be in there computer .
The way I was told to treat that situation by Interstate Batteries , was just read the date code on the melted into the side of the battery , and of course , it had to be there battery .
Battery's Plus said the same thing .
Old 12-07-2009, 12:00 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
NAPA group 31 commercial batteries, 1100 cca

No blankets, no fancy stuff.

When buying batteries, buy them according to weight. Size for size, the heaviest battery in the bunch is the one to go with. These have more plates in them, and hold charge better, among other positive things.

When using blankets, DO NOT plug them in above -30C. This will eventually boil the batteries, as they make their own heat through charging and discharging. This is a major cause of bad batteries in the north, as people just don't totally understand how to maintain them. ( or check the oil, fill up with fuel, rotate tires, grease..... you get the picture)
There are alaska pad heaters that slip under the batteries, however, on the dodge application with the temp sensors under the batteries, these just don't work all that well.

Good luck
Old 12-07-2009, 01:14 PM

I used to have Deka (East Penn) Group 31's Commercials in my 12V - they were actually worse than the Kirklands. They lasted 2 winters.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got Optima yellows for Ol' red. Great battery.. The Can tire batteries I had were made by Exide, as are Kirkland from what I was told. Also due to bulk purchases of Costco, the batteries can be on the shelf for up to 3 years from manufacture to sale.

I was looking at the NAPA ones as well as DieHard.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:35 PM
The Guru

Napa 31's here and two years old. No issues starting my truck, but I cheat.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
No issues starting my truck, but I cheat.
Why am I not suprised?
Old 12-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Banned

Sears Diehard Platinum, They are Odyssey batteries.
http://www.odysseybatteries.com
Old 12-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 15 Digger
Sears Diehard Platinum, They are Odyssey batteries.
http://www.odysseybatteries.com
They place I went to for my Optima's had Odyssey batteries but for the same unit in the Optima it was another $60.. Near $300 each... I hope Sears sells them cheaper..
Old 12-07-2009, 04:20 PM
The Guru

Mr Evil, I thought that you have two new trucks? I keep my baby parking inside a heated garage. Even the new stuff is difficult to start, go by your dealer, I bet that there are a few new diesels that are running. I remember last year looking at a new 09 last year. It was outside just idling, I walked over to look at it. Next its idling 3000k with a light on dash. That fancy emission/clean air stuff takes a beating in the cold weather. Makes our old iron look good, as I have to worry about is that I have enough juice in the battery. My neighbor up the street just leaves his 05 3rd running 24hrs

Quick Reply: Batteries