ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, Im going to invest in a couple of magnet heaters for the oilpans. Have to see if that helps.

I shoulda been born in the South (and no I dont mean Calgary)...
Old 12-07-2009, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by pind
NAPA group 31 commercial batteries, 1100 cca

No blankets, no fancy stuff.

When buying batteries, buy them according to weight. Size for size, the heaviest battery in the bunch is the one to go with. These have more plates in them, and hold charge better, among other positive things.

When using blankets, DO NOT plug them in above -30C. This will eventually boil the batteries, as they make their own heat through charging and discharging. This is a major cause of bad batteries in the north, as people just don't totally understand how to maintain them. ( or check the oil, fill up with fuel, rotate tires, grease..... you get the picture)
There are alaska pad heaters that slip under the batteries, however, on the dodge application with the temp sensors under the batteries, these just don't work all that well.

Good luck
Same choice here----new ones put in the first week i brought the truck up from warmer climate(Nevada/Wash/Oregon) about a year ago.First -20C day and they were dead, not used to this type of weather---no problems now with the NAPA's($120each) and it fired up Sunday evening no problem sitting for 36 hours in the cold spell this past weekend ---unplugged.DW
Old 12-07-2009, 08:29 PM

Those are the same Group 31's I had - I may just have bad luck.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Banned

Sears might be cheaper, they always have sales plus easy to return. They might cost a little more but you usually get what you pay for when you shop price only.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by 15 Digger
Sears might be cheaper, they always have sales plus easy to return. They might cost a little more but you usually get what you pay for when you shop price only.
Thats good info - but to my knowledge, all Sears Auto service shops in Canada have long since been closed.

Kal Tire may still have the Die Hard batteries but they are Dekas.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the info fellas - as always, its much appreciated.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:34 PM

I have always had good luck with the eliminator batteries from Canadian Tire.. but to be honest I havent had to replace a battery on a vehicle for a few years,, LOL,, never keep them long enough
Old 12-08-2009, 03:38 PM

Yeah, I would like to be able to afford that...
Old 12-08-2009, 04:05 PM

you could,, banks have lots
Old 12-08-2009, 06:25 PM

I'm still a proponent of the Optimas. Dry cell, never have to worry about freezing, ya da ya da ya da.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:39 PM

I always heard the Optimas don't like the cold as much as a wet cell. Something about not holding their charge as well when the temps get down to wintery.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
I always heard the Optimas don't like the cold as much as a wet cell. Something about not holding their charge as well when the temps get down to wintery.
800 CCA at 0*F (-18*C) as per specs on website for the Red Tops. Higher CCA as temps increase.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:20 PM

I like the ford batterys, not sure who actually makes them but the ones built for a six liter are over 900cca i belive, and they have a good warranty i belive, i used to take the good one when someone replaced a set that only had one bad battery, second hand they lasted. My second chioce would be a napa battery, had good luck with them too. I would just go to a parts store you like to deal with and see what warrantys they offer on there batterys. Usually a good warranty long warranty means they are selling quallity.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Battery issues AGAIN.

I put Red Tops in my 12V last fall - they havent missed a beat - so far, Im very happy with them.

Now, my 24V has Costco specials that are only a year and a half old (and are comletely dead). I bought them based on good recommendations from the site members here. I dont really want to invest in another set of Optimas at the moment - so what batteries have you guys had good luck with?

Im asking here because I only want to hear from people that live in the climate that we do.

Thanks guys.
I had this issue for years. I wired in a trickle charger eventually(at $50, way cheaper than new batteries). Then my starter went, and I got a new starter. I never had battery issues again. Since the starter had always worked, and (apparently) well, I never looked at it...
Old 12-09-2009, 10:12 PM

I got a couple extra Detroit group 31 batteries in my service truck leftover from a job. jeeze i just replaced the alternator in it last week, maybe I should throw one in my jetta while I'm at it.

I'm not sure who makes them but they;re cheap now. like $99 over the counter I think. pretty sure they're somewhere over 1000cca. but I'll double check.

Quick Reply: Batteries