ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Any suggestions on what next?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any suggestions on what next?

OK guys im going to be looking at putting some cash into my truck. Iam wondering if anyone can give me some advice as to what i should purchase next. Besides a clutch, that is going in in the spring over breakup. Iam thinking about the edge juice with attitude since i dont have gauges and i like the adjustability on the fly since my driving conditions change on a daily basis. Ideally i would like to achieve the 550-600 hp mark so if i could get some info on getting geared up to obtain this level it would be much appreciated. I would like to spend about 1g or so. All my mods are listed in my sig. Thanks guys.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:24 AM

Definately the clutch first.... The edge is decent unit, especially if you are only looking to get into that 500 ish mark... but I think that it is worth allmost a g all by itself

Kevin
Old 12-09-2007, 01:36 AM

Yeah i got it priced@1100 installed. I would really like to do my clutchs. Do you have any idea how long it would take to get clutches and have them instsalled? Do you think the edge setup would be the safest for now till i upgrade a few things.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:43 AM

I think that a clutch takes about 4 hours, mayhbe more. Some go by the book and could be 10hours. So If you are lookin for 550-600hp heres a small list.

1. Clutch(Dont spare get a DD first,then u dont have to upgrade again)
2. Gauges(unless your gettin the edge)
3. Fuel System upgrade(FASS or walbro or Air Dog)
4. Exhaust and CAI
5. Smaller chip(Like the 2 you already have)
6.Turbo and Exh Manifold(if you you tow,dont go to big or get a set of twin,BD or MPI are good)
7. Injectors(again maybe 50-90HP or so, good quality, Don M or DDP)
8. Upgraded injection pump
9. Studs or a good head gasket(Depends on the turbo or turbos u go with)

Just a starting point. The edge is nice, but ill take my current setup over the edge. I had one but i sold it to a friend cause it didnt make ther power i was hoping for. Now if i was to start over again, id go with twins instead of buyin a single. Id also put a clutch in but my "Bionic" clutch as some on here would put it, will not slip, hence why i have not changed it out. I will get a DD one day.I have not dyno'd yet but judgin by the calculation on 13% lost in driveline, im over 500, but once i dyno, ill find out. Maybe after christmas. But since you have a G56, id do the clutch first as they were ment to hold maybe 80hp over stock. just some food for thought.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:45 AM

Also, i seen in ur profile that you are a Tester, Who do you work for.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:58 AM

Thanks for the tips. I think my clutch will come first then before i start getting to crazy, as i do rely on my truck for work. Should I just go with the smarty and analog gauges? As opposed to the edge? I work for Reform energy services out of Red deer. We are drilling underbalace with coil right now out by claresholm. Im on the night shaft!!
Old 12-09-2007, 11:18 AM

It all depends on where you really want to stop, I was able to get over 600 hp with the edge.... but it wont keep up after that point, which makes me very sad cause I really liked the edge. I laid down over a 1000 hp with a diablosport and a dr p unit.

Kevin
Old 12-09-2007, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by MegaMagoo3500
Thanks for the tips. I think my clutch will come first then before i start getting to crazy, as i do rely on my truck for work. Should I just go with the smarty and analog gauges? As opposed to the edge? I work for Reform energy services out of Red deer. We are drilling underbalace with coil right now out by claresholm. Im on the night shaft!!
O nice. Ya i have only done UBD a couple times as we used to have guys that did that and then tsting on another end.Ya i also know what you meen about the night shaft thing, as im a night guy also and i have been gettin shafted alot lately. Darn Day shift. Ya like kevin said, the HOT edge will get you to 500-600 no problem, but thats about it. I trust my analong gauges a little more thats all. But then agian thats all i have ever run. I have the smart and for the 5 minutes it takes from going to stock to wild, ill keep it. Just cause i can make alot of power with it and have the ability to adjust the tire size and read any codes that come up. And also clear them. The other reason i like the smarty is cause it is more stackable with other chips and such. I have had mine set up like this and it worked good.
SMARTY 60hp , EDGE EZ 70hp , BD RAM X POWER 130hp. That us what settings i had it on and it got hot, but it didnt get as hot as it used to when i just had the EZ and BD box.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:52 AM

This is such a dillema for me right now on trying to decide which route to go.I rushed into it early on and bout the diablo sport but i didnt like it plus it slipped my clutch on lowest settings, and not to mention their customer service! I guess besides the clutch upgrade i want some thing that is gonna give me good power gains but not have to put a bunch more mods to get there. Well at least not untill my warranty is up anyways. Im already at 45k since i bought it in march.But on the other hand i figure why buy things twice. So if i do go withe edge/att does anyone know a good place to take it and get it done in edmonton or area?Every one tells me they can do it but i wanna make sure its done right since im new to this still.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:00 AM

oh ya and also would you guys trust buying a used programmer or module, or should i just play it safe and buy a new one? Thanks.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:31 AM

Well the edge is a simple one to do your self. Im sure some of the members on here would have no problem giving you a hand installing it. I did the one in buddys truck in about 1 hour with drilling th pyro. I bought a used one before and never had any problems with it. Just my opinion. I have also sold all of the ones i have tried, but they we not very old. You can deffinatly save a few hundred on a used chip.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:56 AM

Yeah I wouldnt be scared of a used one,, but make sure that they send the pyro with it, without that is worth a lot less. It is an easy install,, like Kiel said, around an hour including drilling the manifold.

Kiel you should delete that edge ez out of your combo. You are just doubling up on pressure (that is also what the bd box does ) that is probably why it got hot. The bd box is basically a rebadged dr p box.

Kevin
Old 12-10-2007, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by morkable
Yeah I wouldnt be scared of a used one,, but make sure that they send the pyro with it, without that is worth a lot less. It is an easy install,, like Kiel said, around an hour including drilling the manifold.

Kiel you should delete that edge ez out of your combo. You are just doubling up on pressure (that is also what the bd box does ) that is probably why it got hot. The bd box is basically a rebadged dr p box.

Kevin
Nope, it was a duration box. I had no timing added so it got hot. As soon as i added some timing(turned the EZ up to 70) the temps went down. But now with the smarty, they are way down. Besides im just waitng to here back about maybe an upgrade to something a little bigger for a turbo,or maybe a second one.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:10 AM

Well i think iam going to bite the bullet and try to get the clutches done and a new programer all at once! If I want to hit the 500-600hp mark evetually, what kind of clutch should i go for? I do some towing at times 11,000lbs, and spend alot of time playing in the bush so i would like to get something i can still tow with. Should it be a DD? I think iam gona go with the edge juice/att for now till i start making more boost then i realize i will need analogue gauges to measure the boost, right? Its their safety features that intrigue me the most. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:31 AM

Ya id get a DD. They will take the most abuse. I think the FE from southbend will be to jerky of a clutch for towing. Once i go to buy one im gettin a DD. And ya once you bite the bullet to get your number right up there. then id get differnet gauges.

Quick Reply: Any suggestions on what next?