4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Steering Stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Stabilizer

Looking at the ads in Diesel Power for these Steering stabilizers. I cannot see the benefit as much as I would see from using an aftermarket track bar kit and even solid bushings in the upper and lower control arms. Am I correct here? I cannot even figure out what this stabilizer does. After all I believe the steering gets loose as the bushings in the aforementioned stock parts get softer right? Isn't the chassis area where the steering box is nice and solid or does this part strengthen that area. Please, if someone could chime in and advise. I don't like chucking useless $$ at the truck.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by DodgeChallenger
Looking at the ads in Diesel Power for these Steering stabilizers. I cannot see the benefit as much as I would see from using an aftermarket track bar kit and even solid bushings in the upper and lower control arms. Am I correct here? I cannot even figure out what this stabilizer does. After all I believe the steering gets loose as the bushings in the aforementioned stock parts get softer right? Isn't the chassis area where the steering box is nice and solid or does this part strengthen that area. Please, if someone could chime in and advise. I don't like chucking useless $$ at the truck.
I always thought of a "steering stabilizer" as the horizontal shock absorber that comes OEM, and that a lot of lifts add to make it double - but dug up the DP article and see that this is a strengthening device as they claim the steering box loosens and the frame rails aren't as rigid up front where the box is, as they could be.
Frankly, the only issue I have had with my 4x4 Rams (on my fifth now so have some experience) is that the larger tire/wheel combos when hitting bumps can yank the steering one way or the other - which I've cured by having the double horizontal shock absorbers on the steering arm. Seems like the stock shock is only good for (and just barely) the stock tire/wheel. I have had two-inch square tube crossmembers welded between the rails up front to mount a receiver hitch and tow plates on on the last two trucks, so that may have unintentionally cured any looseness from frame rail flexing - but I'm having a hard time buying that that is really what happens (flexing frame rails).
Old 12-01-2010, 02:10 AM

I have been running a KORE stabilizer since '06. It was best 500 bucks I spent and I swapped it over to the '11. Its nitrogen charged and adjustable, I keep mine at 60psi and the truck tracks straight with 12.50-35"s.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by picdodge
I have been running a KORE stabilizer since '06. It was best 500 bucks I spent and I swapped it over to the '11. Its nitrogen charged and adjustable, I keep mine at 60psi and the truck tracks straight with 12.50-35"s.
Is that the "Race Series Steering Damper" they talk about, with the Bilstein 7100 "shock"?
Old 12-01-2010, 02:44 PM

I installed a steering box stabilizer on my truck and I`am very happy with it. It was well worth the money because it does keep my truck from wandering down the road. Its relay noticeable when I haul my fiver . I`am not at the wheel correcting the truck from following the hollows on the pavement. This is one of a few good things I have tried That I read on this site. Thanks again guys. later Don T
Old 12-02-2010, 04:42 PM

OK I found more info. The item I was referring to is a chassis/steering box support. Cost is $245 CDN plus shipping. Check out www.solidsteel.biz/ I believe DonT has the same thing on his truck.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:55 PM
The Guru

The DSS steering brace is a bearing and shaft that add under the steering gear box. Help to reinforce the gear box as tend to they flex. I have them on my of 02 trucks. Help to reduce steering wheel wiggles (death wobble), really needed for the guys that run the big tires.

Steering stablizer is a hydraulic/gas shock that helps to elimate death wobble. The twin stablizer shocks are sweet deal. I run a kore on one of my trucks and a BDS dual on my other truck.