4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Question about panic button on key fob?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about panic button on key fob?

Ok, time for the stupid situation of the week. This morning, when I reached into my pocket to pull out the fob, I accidentally hit the panic button . Horn going off, lights flashing, dogs howling me fumbling to turn it off to no avail. i hit the unlock button, hit the panic button again, unlocked the truck with fob and key, started the truck, all to no avail. The alarm just kept going off. It is 7am, dogs howling up a storm and I am sitting in the truck reading my owners manual trying to find out how to shut it off. Couldn't find jack in the manual on how to do it. Eventually it went back off. I assume it just timed out? How do I turn it off if this ever happens again? I feel like an idiot!
Old 09-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
OK....first thing to remember when hitting the panic button is to try and not PANIC!

Sorry couldn't help myself

I have no answer as my truck doesn't have one but I am guessing you have to hold the panic button down or press it twice something like that. drive out in the country and give it a try
Old 09-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
John if we only had a video camera hidden across the street to post it up along with the question! LOL

DESCRIPTION

POWER LOCKS
The power lock system allows all of the doors to be locked or unlocked electrically by operating a switch on either front door trim panel. When an actuation input signal from the door lock switch, WIN or FOBIK signal is received, the door modules turns on the output drivers a provides a voltage level to the door lock motor for a specified time to lock/unlock the door. Their are two door modules, the Driver Door Module (DDM) and Passenger Door Module (PDM). The door modules have an unswitched battery feed from the TIPM, so the locks can be actuated in any ignition switch position.

The door modules locks the doors automatically when the vehicle is driven beyond the speed of 25.7 km/h (15 mph), all doors are closed and the accelerator pedal is depressed. The rolling door lock feature can be disabled if desired.

This vehicle also offers several customer programmable features, which allows the selection of several optional electronic features to suit individual preferences.

The power lock system for this vehicle can also be operated remotely using the FOBIK.

Certain functions and features of the power lock system rely upon resources shared with other electronic modules in the vehicle over the CAN data bus network. For proper diagnosis of these electronic modules or of the CAN data bus network, the use of a scan tool and the appropriate diagnostic information are required.

AUTOMATIC DOOR LOCKS
When enabled, this feature will lock all of the door locks if all of the doors are closed and the vehicle speed goes above 25.7 km/h (15 mph). If a door unlock has occurred, then the door modules will perform another auto lock, if the doors did not electrically unlock, another auto lock will not occur.

DOOR LOCK INHIBIT
When the FOBIK is in the ignition (in any switch position) and either front door is opened, the door lock switches LOCK functions are disabled. The UN-LOCK functions are still functional. This protects against locking the vehicle with the FOBIK still in the ignition. The FOBIK will still lock the doors. After the FOBIK is removed from the ignition or the doors are closed, the power door locks will operate normally.

REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY
A Radio Frequency (RF) type Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) system is an available factory-installed option on this model. The RKE system allows the use of a remote battery-powered radio transmitter to signal the Wireless Ignition Node (WIN) to actuate the power lock system. The WIN operates on non-switched battery current through a fuse in the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM), so that the system remains operational, regardless of the ignition switch position.

The FOBIK transmitters are also equipped with a Panic button. If the Panic button on the FOBIK transmitter is depressed, the horn will sound and the exterior lights will flash on the vehicle for about three minutes, or until the Panic button is depressed a second time. A vehicle speed of about 25.7 km/h (15 mph) will also cancel the panic event.

The RKE system can also perform other functions on this vehicle. If the vehicle is equipped with the optional Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS), the FOBIK transmitter will arm the VTSS when the Lock button is depressed, and disarm the VTSS when the Unlock button is depressed.

The RKE system includes two transmitters when the vehicle is shipped from the factory, but the system can retain the vehicle access codes of up to a total of eight transmitters. The transmitter codes are retained in the WIN memory, even if the battery is disconnected. If an FOBIK transmitter is faulty or lost, new transmitter vehicle access codes can be programmed into the system using a scan tool, (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8E - Electronic Control Modules/Electronic Control Modules - Standard Procedure) .

This vehicle also offers several customer programmable features, which allows the selection of several optional electronic features to suit individual preferences. Customer programmable feature options affecting the RKE system include:

Automatic Door Lock - Customer programmable feature that allows the TIPM to perform an automatic door lock if the vehicle speed is above 25.7 km/h (15 miles-per-hour).
Automatic Door Unlock On Exit - Customer programmable feature that allows the TIPM to perform an automatic door unlock if the vehicle speed is 0, vehicle in park and driver door is opened.
Flash Lights with Lock and Unlock - Allows the option of having the park lamps flash as an optical verification that the RKE system received a valid Lock request or Unlock request from the FOBIK transmitter, or having no optical verification.
Programming Additional Transmitters - Allows up to a total of eight transmitter vehicle access codes to be stored.
Remote Unlock Sequence - Allows the option of having only the driver side front door unlock when the FOBIK transmitter Unlock button is depressed the first time. The remaining doors unlock when the button is depressed a second time within 5 seconds of the first unlock press. Another option is having all doors unlock upon the first depression of the FOBIK transmitter Unlock button.
Sound Horn on Lock - Allows the option of having the horn sound a short chirp as an audible verification that the RKE system received a valid Lock request from the FOBIK transmitter, or having no audible verification.
Certain functions and features of the RKE system rely upon resources shared with other electronic modules in the vehicle over CAN data bus network. For diagnosis of these electronic modules or of the CAN data bus network, the use of a scan tool and the appropriate diagnostic information are required.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Chris. It was sadly hilarious! I kept hoping my wife wouldn't walk out the front door and yell "what in the *#*#%^#(* are you doing?" Oh well, live and learn..............
Old 09-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by yellowhemi
Thanks Chris. It was sadly hilarious! I kept hoping my wife wouldn't walk out the front door and yell "what in the *#*#%^#(* are you doing?" Oh well, live and learn..............
Here is how this is going down inside her.

She is keeping it quiet and storing this event inside that woman roledex and will bring it up years later when you least expect it. it will be like (sound of a roledex spinning around), SEEEEEE, I've got cliff notes too! WANNA SEEE!!!

Listen to Rodney Carrington to get full description of the above statement.