4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Power Steering HISS

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Power Steering HISS

woke up early to take my son and my 2 nephews fishin and started the truck (39 degrees outside) and had this HORRIBLE hiss noise coming from the steering column area. turn wheel or press brake and it would go away.

SO everyone knows, there is a TSB for this very noise. the plastic line inside the hose running from the pump to the hydro-boost comes loose. have an apt at my dealer back home in the morning. will post results

also getting oil change #2 while I am there
Old 08-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Chapter President

sorry for not posting sooner. was on vacation when the noise started. as i expected, it was the PS line from the pump to the hydroboost. there is a plastic liner inside the rubber line and it becomes separated and makes a bad HISSING noise. replaced, got the oil change done while I was there and mo betta
Old 08-15-2011, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine is doing it too. Guess since I am deleted I am going to have to live with it, or find a dealer that will fix it without doing any ECM flashes.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Chapter President

there is no flash required. its a 2 wrench job with some fluid. looks like you have "cali" deletes so just take it in, make sure you tell them

NO COMPUTER UPDATES

I used the excuse that my truck runs killer, getting great mileage so don't F with it!! service writer was like "ok dude" we won't touch it. i have also threatened to watch over the techs shoulders too (when traveling and use a strange dealer).
Old 08-18-2011, 10:08 PM

Had this happen this week...

I was told the replacement hose is on national backorder and can't give me a new date... Meanwhile steering pump is louder than ever, and the honking on right turns hasn't happened in a long time.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:54 AM
Chapter President

national backorder huh? the dealer can do a search in other dealers inventory and do a transfer. my dealer had it in stock.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:13 AM

My dealer say they dont replace the hose, they simply remove the plastic insert.
We will see when I take it in. I am taping my ECM port closed so they can't flash it since there are a couple of madatory updates out there.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:25 PM
Chapter President

HUH! take it to another dealer.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:22 PM

Same problem

Just had the hose replaced for the second time in 6 months! The dealer charged me (12 months or 12k miles) but a call to Chrysler got me a refund. I asked if a lot of people are continuing to have the issue and was told just a hand full!
Old 08-28-2011, 09:46 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I had the exact same problem back in July towing about 11K lbs of our HHG from NM to NV. The problem started when we were at Smith's getting a case of water. I went to start the truck, put it in gear (auto) and the brake pedal sank to the bottom. After giving it a minute, the brakes came back and seemed fine. As soon as we got up on the highway the hissing noise started. It went away when turning the steering or slightly pressing on the brakes. Power steering pump was loud as well prior to the hissing even starting (about a month). Anyhow, once we got to Vegas, I scheduled an appointment with the dealer. They replaced two power steering lines. They told me this was a common problem.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but does anyone know if those lines at all tie into the transmission? It could be just me, but it seemed the transmission shifted smoother afterwards.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:29 AM
I think I can... I think...

Another OT question.
My truck hasn't been flashed since I purchased it 1 yr ago nor do I have any performance upgrades "YET".
Will getting the latest flash kill the ability to run a tuner or do any of the deletes??
I'm getting the power steering noise and have had the check engine light the last couple of times that the fuel was low.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:52 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by 6.7L MegaCab
I had the exact same problem back in July towing about 11K lbs of our HHG from NM to NV. The problem started when we were at Smith's getting a case of water. I went to start the truck, put it in gear (auto) and the brake pedal sank to the bottom. After giving it a minute, the brakes came back and seemed fine. As soon as we got up on the highway the hissing noise started. It went away when turning the steering or slightly pressing on the brakes. Power steering pump was loud as well prior to the hissing even starting (about a month). Anyhow, once we got to Vegas, I scheduled an appointment with the dealer. They replaced two power steering lines. They told me this was a common problem.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but does anyone know if those lines at all tie into the transmission? It could be just me, but it seemed the transmission shifted smoother afterwards.
no the pump is not tied into the trans. what is scary is that the above posted that the dealer just removes the plastic liner in the line. its a safety issue as the pump provides pressure to the hydroboost for brake assist. Ever driven one of these that the hydroboost fails? NOT FUN AT ALL.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:55 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by capt.Ron
Another OT question.
My truck hasn't been flashed since I purchased it 1 yr ago nor do I have any performance upgrades "YET".
Will getting the latest flash kill the ability to run a tuner or do any of the deletes??
I'm getting the power steering noise and have had the check engine light the last couple of times that the fuel was low.
it won't hinder you from doing deletes. what is the code when the CEL light comes on? I don't think it is related to having low fuel as our trucks are not like GM trucks in the way that if the ECM does not see fuel gauge movement it will set a light. My 06 dmax would do that because of my aux tank until I wired the sending unit from the aux tank to the factory gauge sending wire and on a switch. our trucks also don't have evap emissions on our fuel systems to control fuel vapors like a gasser has.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:53 AM
I think I can... I think...

Originally Posted by cbrahs
it won't hinder you from doing deletes. what is the code when the CEL light comes on? I don't think it is related to having low fuel as our trucks are not like GM trucks in the way that if the ECM does not see fuel gauge movement it will set a light. My 06 dmax would do that because of my aux tank until I wired the sending unit from the aux tank to the factory gauge sending wire and on a switch. our trucks also don't have evap emissions on our fuel systems to control fuel vapors like a gasser has.
I haven't been able to pull any codes yet. I have an OBDII code reader but it won't pull any codes when I connect up. The only reason why I feel that it could be fuel related is because this is the only time that I've seen the check engine light on. I had another strange incident today. I got in the truck and the battery is so dead that it doesn't even "click" when I turn the key.
I put my big booster on it and set it at 200amps. The first time I tried it the thing just clicked.
I cut it back to 40amps for a few minutes then raised it back to 200 and it fired right up. Driving down the road with everything off I'm showing 13.4 volts through the cigarette lighter. at idle it's 12.9 volts.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Chapter President

that is a little odd. did ya leave anything turned on overnight?

Quick Reply: Power Steering HISS