4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

New idea, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New idea, what do you think?

Not sure where to post this, but I had an idea for a new option for our trucks. What if Dodge offered a rear seat delete option for quad/crew cabs? It would delete the rear seat and include a complete flat floor to provide storage like a SUV or a van. When my wife and I travel (no kids) we like to pack the rear of the cab with coolers, suit case and of bunch of other stuff. It would be much more pratical to not have the seat and a flat floor would make it easier to pack more stuff. I realize there is a fold flat floor option but you loose space with the seat. There could also be more space for storage bins.
What do you think?
Old 02-01-2010, 09:58 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

I think it would be cool. Can't tell you the number of times I have had to load my tools into the back seat because of rain, or having to park in hd parking lot.

Kinda funny, bout 20 years ago I had a 68 VW super beetle. I took out the back seat, and put a piece of plywood down. That's where I loaded all my tools to get to the job site every day. I called it my VW truck. Ohhhh the glory days!!!
Old 02-01-2010, 10:55 PM

Perhaps a Stow-n-Go option?
Old 02-02-2010, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jaxom
Perhaps a Stow-n-Go option?
A seat release like the third row in the suburbans would be cool where you can take it out of the truck completely. When the seat is folded up it takes up plenty of valuable real estate. The under seat storage comes in handy but if they left the floor completely flat with a hatch (like the new 2010 cooler under the mat but on a grander scale) that used more of the dead space around the frame would be more handy. That combined with a removable seat would be slick!

When I go to meet the guys on hunting trips (Heaven ) I am riding solo and pack up the rear seat area. I though of taking out the seats plenty of times but it would tooooo much to keep doing that. I think of adding a cap or cover but don't want the expense or to be bothered as I use the bed too much.

I think we need to work for Dodge.

Dodge I hope your looking!
Old 02-05-2010, 11:48 PM

get a mega cab it does exactly that. thats why i got mine
Old 02-06-2010, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by sgt snake
Tooooo much cab and not enough bed room.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:26 AM

you can do a long bed conversion for around 2-3 thousand
Old 02-06-2010, 04:22 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
you can do a long bed conversion for around 2-3 thousand
Can you tell me where you can get one for that price. Unless your doing it yourself average price Ive seen is around 5 to 6 grand.

The new megas I find look a little different. They used the shorter doors off of the crew cab and extended the c pillar some.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:24 AM

The other problem is if I stretched out a MEGA I lose room in the garage. With the plow on in the winter I barely have five feet to walk past the rear of the truck in my 30' deep garage. I am putting on the new ranch hand style Boss Hog rear bumper today and see the walking space getting slimmer.

If they made a Suburban/Excursion style like the said back in the late 80's to early 90's I would run out and buy one tomorrow. Well maybe not tomorrow but after someone drove it for a year or so to bring the cost down. LOL
Old 02-06-2010, 11:11 AM

there was a place in texas that i saw that did it for 3000. ill check and see if i can find the place again
Old 02-06-2010, 12:35 PM

Fyi

Originally Posted by MoparNut
Not sure where to post this, but I had an idea for a new option for our trucks. What if Dodge offered a rear seat delete option for quad/crew cabs? It would delete the rear seat and include a complete flat floor to provide storage like a SUV or a van. When my wife and I travel (no kids) we like to pack the rear of the cab with coolers, suit case and of bunch of other stuff. It would be much more pratical to not have the seat and a flat floor would make it easier to pack more stuff. I realize there is a fold flat floor option but you loose space with the seat. There could also be more space for storage bins.
What do you think?
When you are in an accident & one of those objects in the rear of the cab comes flying forward at whatever speed you were travelling you will understand the meaning of pain.

I am always amazed to see people driving with heavy objects stacked behind them & unrestrained in the extended portion of the cab. Only a matter of time till the inevitible happens.

Many serice companies in the oil patch remove the back seats in their crew cabs & quad cabs for increased interior cargo room. When they do they also afix netting that runs across the inside of the cab to protect the driver & occupant from flying objects in the event of an accident.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:03 PM

A skill saw up side the head in an accident will change your mind about tool storage.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by MoparNut
What do you think?
I doubt you would fit a van or suv in the back seat area. LOL Just kidding.
As mentioned...the more unsecured stuff in the cab or even the bed...the more projectiles that can do more harm then if items where secured or not in the truck. I did not want to make this a thread where the safety police are telling you what to do but I have seen it firsthand with a friend of mine that was hit real bad by a loose tool box and then a loose sand bad from the bed...he was in bed and seriously injured for over two yrs.

I would consider removing the rear seat and then make it so that you can secure items.

I watched my laptop destroy the glovebox door and part of the dash in my 01 when I had to slam the brakes on for a deer and some swerving cars...Laptop exploded on impact.

Again, not trying to scare you...just some facts. I think a rear seat delete might be a good idea for the first user but for resale you might need the seat. I bet DOT or some safety group requires the seats to come with the vehicle...I can see someone having a passenger in the rear with no seat suing the manufacturer. For common sense folks it makes sense...for OTHERS...well
Old 02-06-2010, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Scotty
I doubt you would fit a van or suv in the back seat area. LOL Just kidding.
As mentioned...the more unsecured stuff in the cab or even the bed...the more projectiles that can do more harm then if items where secured or not in the truck. I did not want to make this a thread where the safety police are telling you what to do but I have seen it firsthand with a friend of mine that was hit real bad by a loose tool box and then a loose sand bad from the bed...he was in bed and seriously injured for over two yrs.

I would consider removing the rear seat and then make it so that you can secure items.

I watched my laptop destroy the glovebox door and part of the dash in my 01 when I had to slam the brakes on for a deer and some swerving cars...Laptop exploded on impact.

Again, not trying to scare you...just some facts. I think a rear seat delete might be a good idea for the first user but for resale you might need the seat. I bet DOT or some safety group requires the seats to come with the vehicle...I can see someone having a passenger in the rear with no seat suing the manufacturer. For common sense folks it makes sense...for OTHERS...well
Projectiles are a risk in most cars and trucks especially suburbans and SUV's with kids unbuckled in the rear seats which encompass at least 50% of the SUV's on the road. Most parents get head trauma from their kids on impact.

It would be nice to remove the seat easily just for clothing, sleeping bags, tents, rifles and such that you don't want to leave exposed to weather and sticky fingers. Big storage bins sunken in the rear floor wold be good for the potential bullet item that would do you harm. If you transport tools and things low to the floor should keep most safe.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:55 PM

Or if you are going to use the back seat for tools, etc, then just install some hooks or something so you can strap everything down.
But it's a great idea nonetheless.

Quick Reply: New idea, what do you think?