4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

New 2500 HD - Tire/Rim Size Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 2500 HD - Tire/Rim Size Question

I just picked up my new 2500 Crew Laramie 4WD 6.7 with 3.73's. From what I've been reading and from my previous experiences ('04 w/3.73, '06 w/4.10), I'm not worried about having enough torque - but curious what maximum size tire with what offset rim I can stick under this truck. As usual, the only complaint I have with Dodge is that the tire/rim combo looks anemic under this truck, but you can't go up much in size without lifting. I have the 2 in Truxxx leveling kit, but otherwise don't want to lift. I see "Roger.T" says he has 35's under his with just a leveling kit - does this make sense? I don't see how I can go much more than an inch taller than stock (which is 31.6 inches) without hitting the rear of the front fenderwell in a turn...
Old 04-03-2010, 06:19 AM

you can go to a 35 with maybe minimal rub at full lock. i put 34's on before levelling kit and no rub. my wheels were like -18mm offset and maybe stick out of the fender 1 inch. they tuck nicely under like a stock wheel with this offset
Old 04-03-2010, 12:23 PM

Wow - I'm surprised. I think the TRUXXX kit is only two inches, but it sounds like I don't have to worry with 34's at least. I'll have to check out those rims - I know the width and offset can make or break the position (hence rubbing).
Thanks.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:17 PM
"DTR's Wormiest Member"

I am not sure of the offset of my rims. i do know that they stick out about 3 inches. I did have a little rubbing at first but i removed that little plastic corner molding at the bottom of the fender next to the door. and i also had to tie the plastic inner guard back up to the frame. a small hole and a zip tie did the trick and now no rubbing at all. not even at full turn on an incline.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:39 PM

Well, the truck's still at the dealer's - seems the tires [U]I[U] spec'd out weren't LT series, and I didn't check the load ratings. After mounting and installing, the inability to get the TPMS to stop warning of low pressure clued them in that the max pressure of 35 psi meant the tires weren't for light trucks. That, and when they drove it the mushy feeling... My problem was I assumed all Terra Grapplers were light truck tires - learn something new every day!
So now gotta get a slightly different size, since the LT series didn't come in the 275/60R20 size with 33 inch diameter. Closest LT size in the Grappler is 275/65R20, which is an inch larger in dia. (34)(but same width). So hopefully they fit without rubbing, or if they do, the tie back of the plastic well that Roger did works for me...
Old 04-18-2010, 01:13 PM

275/65/20's are what i have
Old 04-18-2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by djcheez
275/65/20's are what i have
O.K. djcheez (pls tell me you don't spin cheezy music...) - the only thing I am worried about then is what the difference in offsets will do...you noted you have a negative offset while mine is postive - about an inch difference between us. Off the top of my head (since the truck is at the dealer's over the weekend), it seems like an inch further out will still have the tire's outside rear corner inside the fender at full lock, so if you're not rubbing then I shouldn't...altho...who is the mfr of your leveling kit?
Old 04-21-2010, 12:57 AM

Alright, got the 275/65R20's Grapplers on now, and combined with the Vice 20 in. wheels, the truck looks simply SWEET! No rubbing either, and these are 34 inch diameter tires. Can't get over how much better it makes the truck look - I can now be happy without the 5 inch lift I had on my last 2500.
Folks at the dealer were taking pics as it's the first Laramie they've had there with the accessories I have on it - all of which are available from Mopar and/or your local dealer. The GM had the Parts manager order all the items I have on mine as he liked the look enough to want to put one out on the lot for sale with those as dealer installed accessories. (but they promise they won't do that to one the same paint color as mine - don't want to be like the minivan commercial on TV where the guy is upset because his friend steals his style)

'10 2500 4WD Crew two-tone Laramie with grappler 34's on Vice 20's w/Truxxx leveling kit, chrome Mopar step bars and chrome bed bars over Linex'd bed.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:19 PM

Now it´s time to take some pictures of your truck ^^
Old 04-21-2010, 02:07 PM

Just put a 2in levling kit and have 35s
Old 04-22-2010, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by 05 dodge
Just put a 2in levling kit and have 35s
Nice truck - Wrong Thread - this is for the 4th gen trucks and yours is 3rd gen...
Old 04-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ramtradxb
Nice truck - Wrong Thread - this is for the 4th gen trucks and yours is 3rd gen...
And its not even a 6.7

Blasphemer!

Get the hot oil...

Just kidding, still a nice truck though.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
And its not even a 6.7

Blasphemer!

Get the hot oil...

Just kidding, still a nice truck though.
"Blasphemer" is right! LOL And yes, it is a nice truck. But he's got more'n just a leveling kit - I can see aftermarket steering stabilizers underneath - if I remember correctly, '04's had just one shock, and it wasn't that purty...
Old 04-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ramtradxb
"Blasphemer" is right! LOL And yes, it is a nice truck. But he's got more'n just a leveling kit - I can see aftermarket steering stabilizers underneath - if I remember correctly, '04's had just one shock, and it wasn't that purty...
Good eye. Could be just the stabilizer doesn't look lifted much. I do know Rog's runs fine with just the leveling kit. I'll be home in a few weeks and doin the same to my mega, leveled with 35's/20's.

We'll park em side by side for comparison pics for y'all.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:52 PM

I have never mastered the art of posting pics, or I would. Yes, I do think the leveling kit (on mine, and Rog's) really made it look a 100% better, besides allowing us to put larger tires on. And unlike Rog, I didn't have to trim plastic or tie anything back with the 34's - amazing what a silly little inch can do, eh?
Seems to me like the short beds don't look as raked down in front without a leveling kit as do the long beds - I really didn't like the look of it before I leveled it. Can't say for sure how the Mega's looked - they have the same length WB as the long bed Crews, don't they? But maybe somehow the additional body mass doesn't make the lower front look as obvious? Or that weight drops the rear justy enough so the angle isn't as much?

Quick Reply: New 2500 HD - Tire/Rim Size Question