4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Motor Trend 2011 F250 vs. 2010 RAM 2500

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by randallp84
Sad but true. EPA SUCKS!
-------------------------------------------
Yeah Randall,........I agree!

What puzzles me is why the "regular" Dodge CTD 6.7 2500 and 3500 trucks like most of us drive DON'T need the urea, but the Dodge Cab/Chassis Trucks do..........
Old 04-27-2010, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John_P

What puzzles me is why the "regular" Dodge CTD 6.7 2500 and 3500 trucks like most of us drive DON'T need the urea, but the Dodge Cab/Chassis Trucks do..........
Yeah I don't really get it either. Maybe they figure they will be pulling heavier loads a lot more often which means they will use more fuel which means more emissions. But if that's the reasoning they use, it's flawed because there are a LOT more 2500s and 3500s on the road.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:53 PM

Cummins is using the Injected Urea concept in some OTR and RV app's - larger engines - so it's only a matter of time before they start using them in the smaller pickup engines...unless someone comes up with a better mousetrap before the reg's tighten again (and again and again).
Old 04-27-2010, 04:34 PM

I've always been a Cummins guy but I think the new Ford has some promise, after all third time might be a charm for their new engine(6.0 crap, 6.4 crap, 6.7??). Personally, I would rather have a Urea engine than an engine with EGR and a DPF. To me urea is something simple that doesn't choke down an engine like egr pumping a bunch of crap back in the engine then a DPF using even more fuel to do a regen.
As far as the comparison article I would like to see what gear ratio the Dodge had compared to the gear ratio in the Ford. I would bet the Dodge had 3:42's and the Ford had 4:10's, if this was the case I think the results in the towing test would be significantly different had the ratios been equal.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ellerman,

Why is it that MOST (not all, me included) CTD fans knock anything that Ford has made before they come out? Yes, EVERY mfg has problems on first year engines, including the 6.7L CTD. The 6.4L is proving it's self a MONSTER with intake, exhaust, and a Spartan tune. About as fast as a DMAX with a EFI Live but no limping of the tranny.

The CR technology with the CP4 and peizo injectors are proving themselves...
Old 04-27-2010, 10:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by John_P

I remember reading about this and it had to do with the duty cycle of the engine in the cab/chassis models. I wish I could find that info, I have flat out forgot.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:39 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselJon
ellerman,

Why is it that MOST (not all, me included) CTD fans knock anything that Ford has made before they come out? Yes, EVERY mfg has problems on first year engines, including the 6.7L CTD. The 6.4L is proving it's self a MONSTER with intake, exhaust, and a Spartan tune. About as fast as a DMAX with a EFI Live but no limping of the tranny.

I agree. Sure the 6.0 was a disaster, but the 6.4 is a good strong engine, and the Cummins isn't exactly as bulletproof as it was 15 years ago. To me, the Ford is a pretty good second choice to the Dodge, and has some qualities that are even better. Urea may actually turn out to be a better way to go than DPF, if the mileage of the new PSD ends up as good as these test drive articles indicate. What could be better than a truck that runs on pee?
Old 04-29-2010, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Spooler
I remember reading about this and it had to do with the duty cycle of the engine in the cab/chassis models. I wish I could find that info, I have flat out forgot.
I think I saw that same article. As I remember, the urea was added to the chassis cab models due to anticipated extended idling use, as in a bucket truck or service truck. I recall that they still have the EGR and DPF as well as the urea injection.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:26 PM

DieselJon and Torquefan, maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying but I'm not coming out and saying the 2011 Ford is junk at all. I think it may be a decent truck. I do believe that the 6.4 is crap- I have three friends who own them and two of them are in the process of getting them taken back under the lemon law. They seem to go through turbos, intercoolers and radiators on each tank of fuel but this has only been my experience with them. Only time will tell on the 2011.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ellerman
I've always been a Cummins guy but I think the new Ford has some promise, after all third time might be a charm for their new engine(6.0 crap, 6.4 crap, 6.7??). Personally, I would rather have a Urea engine than an engine with EGR and a DPF. To me urea is something simple that doesn't choke down an engine like egr pumping a bunch of crap back in the engine then a DPF using even more fuel to do a regen.
As far as the comparison article I would like to see what gear ratio the Dodge had compared to the gear ratio in the Ford. I would bet the Dodge had 3:42's and the Ford had 4:10's, if this was the case I think the results in the towing test would be significantly different had the ratios been equal.
Sorry to tell you this but Ford still needs the EGR and DPF and Urea and more.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ellerman
... They seem to go through turbos, intercoolers and radiators on each tank of fuel but this has only been my experience with them. Only time will tell on the 2011.
...and those tanks of fuel come often. 11 mpg is the norm with the 6.4
Old 05-25-2010, 11:25 PM

mot sure if it was already said but how bout the fact they are comparing a 2011 to a 2010???
Old 05-26-2010, 02:27 PM

Will be interesting to see what Dodge/Cummins have up their sleeve for the next iteration of the CTD. It's already 3 years old and 3 years ago was on a level playing field with the PSD.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:52 PM

i test drove a powerjoke the other day just because we were looking for a vehicle for my wife and she likes the explorers. After i drove the powerjoke i loved my truck even more. The guy kept trying to talk me into trading mine in. I told him I love my CTD
Old 05-26-2010, 06:14 PM

Dodge vs Ford

I have to say both trucks pretty much fit the bill, both are beautiful and both are very expensive. I just sold my 08 6.4 Lariat, Crew Cab Ford Powerstroke because I am buying my buds 04 Quad Cab Dodge 5.9 in Oct/Nov. I would say the 6.4 was not a crap motor, had good power, HORRIBLE FUEL MILEAGE, but never gave me any major issues. I really look forward to joining the Cummins Family.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend 2011 F250 vs. 2010 RAM 2500