4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Motor Trend 2011 F250 vs. 2010 RAM 2500

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I wanted a Ford, I'd have to wait until 2012. I'm just too nervous to buy any new, untested engine in its first year. If I weren't, I'd probably have bought a GM 5.7 as soon as they came out. They sounded really great, too.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:08 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hate the grill on the SD. HATE!

But, I think I'd get the f450 SD right now to pull a fiver... in a couple of years if the engine turns out right.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by dieselJon
So I just read the whole article...

WTH?!?!?!

My wife is a lit geek... She has taught me how to speak english correctly. That article is FULL of mis-communication! They used word like "however", "not so", "but". Now thats not bad BUT (there I used it) they always placed Dodge first and Ford 2nd. "Dodge.....but Ford"..... Just a marketing voodoo.

To place the trucks in the same category, meaning loaded to the hilt, they should have gotten a Megacab with 3.42 gearing. Or a MC and got 4.10's in both of them!

Also, they said that Ford has 400lbs more payload capacity than Dodge. True but misleading! The Dodge can actually carry 100lbs MORE than the Ford because the Ford weighs that much MORE!

Since when is softer shifts a better thing? Granted, to hard is not good but the sledpuller's do not have "soft" shifts.

And quote:

Power delivery as DEFINED BY THEM is the smooth shifting...

New heights of disagreeable marketing....
Same guys that tests a prius
Old 04-15-2010, 03:05 PM

I wish Dodge would up the numbers of the payload and tow ratings to meet Fords.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Squidward
Anyone else find it odd how close the two are in terms of performance given the Ford's huge (on paper) advantages in HP and torque?
Odd? Hmm, no.

Ram: 3.73 rear end, 7500 pounds, 17" rims (less rotating mass)
Ford: 3.54 rear end, 8000 pounds, 20" rims (more rotating mass)

Now for the rear end we should compare each gear ratio and the rpm´s they turn at a given speed.

As for towing heavy loads (10000+ pounds) the Ford should have the edge in acceleration. And it has because of the torque advantage. We´re talking stock trucks here. I guess there´s no denying about this. But a Ram can tow the same weights safely, though it might not be rated to tow the same weight as the Ford.

What I found interesting, why does the Ford offer smaller brakes and is capable to tow more? Every diesel truck can get loads up to speed and hold the speed on a grade. But when it comes to stop that load behind me I want to have the biggest brakes available. Just to be safe!

For me the 2010 Dodge please, 3500 SRW long bed.
That´s why I am at DTR and not on one of the Ford websites. Owned a Ford before, never again
Old 04-17-2010, 08:36 PM

25 years ago

i was treated badly by Ford. The slight little money they ripped me off has cost them $10000's of Dollars...I swore back then I would never buy another Ford. 25 years later I am posting this. I have never owned another Ford nor have I bought any Ford parts.

One day these companies will learn to treat us right.

The local Dodge dealership (had some work done on my old dodge) added about $40.00 on a bill with out my knowledge or permission. They wouldn't take it off. I had no choice but to pay for it. It wasn't worth the hastle.

What they didn't know. Is that I was just about to buy a Dodge truck brand new loaded to the hilt. So guess what....I ordered it from another dealership and didn't even give that one a chance to have my business.

Moral of the story. If you own a business or are a Salesman. Think twice before you rip some body off. It might just cost you 1000's of dollars.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:15 AM

The Ram easily handles anything I throw at it.

The "I've got the higher HP Torque game", larger 20 " tires, more weight and the rest of it only costs me more money.

Considering payload regs in most states it's all just brag to me.

Show me better fuel economy with current engine outputs. Now that's what I'm talkin' about.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:33 PM
edc

Advantage RAM

Although it had minor mention in the article, the simplicity of the Cummins design and ability to meet new emissions reqmnts without urea was big in my decision to not go with Ford or GM (Duramax). It seems this was a key consideration on the part of Motor Trend also:
(from an article in a Cummins newsletter about the award)
The Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel played a huge part in the decision by Motor Trend to select the 2010 RAM Heavy Duty for the coveted Truck of the Year award. In terms of efficiency, Motor Trend judges were impressed primarily with the approach in designing a non-urea-based system to meet 2010 emissions in a pickup truck while providing great performance and fuel efficiency, which set the RAM apart from the competition. When asked what sold Motor Trend on the 2010 RAM Heavy Duty, Edward Loh, senior editor of Motor Trend stated, “I think the big thing is not having to add urea to the truck. That’s huge.”
Old 04-21-2010, 09:12 PM

what is urea?
Old 04-21-2010, 09:16 PM

Just like it sounds
Old 04-22-2010, 08:59 AM
edc

What is Urea

Originally Posted by J-man
what is urea?
Well as you suspected, from Wickopedia:

The Chemical

Urea or carbamide is an organic compound with the chemical formula (NH2)2CO. The molecule has two amine (-NH2) residues joined by a carbonyl (-CO-) functional group.
Urea serves an important role in the metabolism of nitrogen-containing compounds by animals and is the main nitrogen-containing substance in the urine of mammals. Being solid, colourless, odorless (although the ammonia which it gives off in the presence of water, including water vapor in the air, has a strong odor), neither acidic nor alkaline, highly soluble in water, and relatively non-toxic, urea is widely used in fertilizers as a convenient source of nitrogen. Urea is also an important raw material for the chemical industry.

Automotive systems

Urea is used in SNCR and SCR reactions to reduce the NOx pollutants in exhaust gases from combustion, for example, from power plants and diesel engines. For diesel engines, this is called diesel particulate filter regeneration. The BlueTec system, for example, injects water-based urea solution into the exhaust system. The ammonia produced by decomposition of the urea reacts with the nitrogen oxide emissions and is converted into nitrogen and water within the catalytic converter.

Aren't you glad you have a Cummins? Or would you rather carry around a tank of urine, excuse me I meant urea and have to refill it occassionaly as owners of the new Ford and GM Duramax will have to do. Ed
Old 04-26-2010, 03:04 PM

I would rather spend the $2500 on rims and tires that I want to personalize my truck to what I want and still be $5000 less than than Ford off the lot price. Does anyone else hate how much you have to turn the steering wheel of the Ford just to make a turn 4.1 turns is rediculous I will take my 3 turns.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:45 AM

urea will be next for the ram I think.
labarn
Old 04-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by labarn
urea will be next for the ram I think.
labarn
-----------------------------------------------------------
Urea IS used in the 2010 Dodge Cummins 6.7 Cab/Cassis Trucks!

--------
John_P
Old 04-27-2010, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by John_P
-----------------------------------------------------------
Urea IS used in the 2010 Dodge Cummins 6.7 Cab/Cassis Trucks!

--------
John_P
Sad but true. EPA SUCKS!

Quick Reply: Motor Trend 2011 F250 vs. 2010 RAM 2500