4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Motor Trend 2011 F250 vs. 2010 RAM 2500

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 11:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nothing wrong with 17 inch rims, lots of tire choices
Old 04-12-2010, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it sounds to me like the dodge won.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by JT's 6.7
Unless I missed it the the only thing I read was that they both had integrated trailer brakes, nothing about exhaust brakes.
You are right. I am wrong. I apologize.
But... Having driven the new Hd and used the exhaust brake... It's there. Don't know why they didn't mention it.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by DirtEater
And please, Dodge, why would you have oem puny 17" wheels even on the Laramie, along with bologna sized tires. Ford SD's come with 33" and 34" equivalent tires on 18" and 20" wheels.
Who cares what size the wheels and tires are? The tires can easily be changed and, if you notice, the Dodge has bigger brake rotors. To me that is MUCH more important than the wheel size. As long as the wheels are big enough to accomodate adequate sized brakes, the wheel size is completely irrelevant. Why wouldn't Ford put bigger brakes on since the wheels are so big and the towing capacity is more than the Dodge? So the Ford has more bling when it comes to wheels and tires. Who cares? That just means they're more expensive to replace.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by randallp84
Who cares what size the wheels and tires are? The tires can easily be changed and, if you notice, the Dodge has bigger brake rotors. To me that is MUCH more important than the wheel size. As long as the wheels are big enough to accomodate adequate sized brakes, the wheel size is completely irrelevant. Why wouldn't Ford put bigger brakes on since the wheels are so big and the towing capacity is more than the Dodge? So the Ford has more bling when it comes to wheels and tires. Who cares? That just means they're more expensive to replace.
Well, I care, that's why I brought it up. I realize tires and wheels can be changed as I've done it before including my '05 I've had since new.

The Ford is not more blingy. What I'm getting at is when you see the Ford SD, the tires and wheels look right on it and give it a better stance. It looks right! The Dodge tires and wheels look wimpy, and do not compliment the Dodge at all.

Not everyone wants to spend 50K on a new truck and then have to spend another $2500 on wheels and tires in order to make the truck look how you want it. With the tires and wheels Ford has, I'd be content with the stock set-up.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by truckjunkie
I think what Dirteater was trying to say was that Ford has usually been good about filling the wheel wells on their vehicles with 'correct' sized wheels and tires. Compare a stock F250 and up standard wheel package with a Dodge or GM product standard wheel package. The Ford standard wheel packages just usually 'look' more appropriate on the truck.
You undestand exactly where I'm coming from regarding tires and wheels. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:51 AM

id rather have a more reliable motor then a nice set of wheels. thats just me
Old 04-13-2010, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by EverydayDiesel
Agreed.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:06 PM

Well, DUH! Who wouldn't?
Old 04-13-2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by randallp84
Agreed.
And... x2
Old 04-13-2010, 01:21 PM

Haha, see that the fuel economy calculators are "over optimistic." Kinda funny, my '06 lies like a **** but still gets alright hand calculated. Anyone notice the fuel tank in the Ford is 9 gallons smaller? Guess that makes you think you are spending less on your fuel bill. Must be making room for the urea tank.

Awhile back motor trend had a test of performance SUVs where they were testing the SRT8 Jeep and the Chevy SS trailblazer. The Jeep was 2 seconds quicker to 60 but they gave the prize to the SS because it towed more. Motortrend is worthless IMO.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the Ford but would still take the Ram .I was at the ford dealer the other day to look and I see. no way of being able to work on the pos with out crying for mercy. Just look at how packed the engine bay is on the SD you cant stick your hand in any where
Old 04-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Definitely. But there is no reason Ram couldn't have both.

The new Ford interior is nice, but that grill makes me throw up a little in my mouth......
Old 04-13-2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jim O
There also was no mention that you have to buy Urea for the exhaust system and the fact that there is a cost to that may turn some away from the super duty. They mentioned in the text that the Superduty had more options and indicated that it was fancy compared to the Ram but there is several thousand dollars more in the base price for the Superduty and even more in the price as tested
Jim O
From the article:

Unlike the Cummins, Ford's all-new 6.7-liter, 390-horse, 735-pound-foot V-8 Power Stroke (now built in-house) uses a urea-based aftertreatment emissions system.
Last sentence, 1st page.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:42 PM

So I just read the whole article...

WTH?!?!?!

My wife is a lit geek... She has taught me how to speak english correctly. That article is FULL of mis-communication! They used word like "however", "not so", "but". Now thats not bad BUT (there I used it) they always placed Dodge first and Ford 2nd. "Dodge.....but Ford"..... Just a marketing voodoo.

To place the trucks in the same category, meaning loaded to the hilt, they should have gotten a Megacab with 3.42 gearing. Or a MC and got 4.10's in both of them!

Also, they said that Ford has 400lbs more payload capacity than Dodge. True but misleading! The Dodge can actually carry 100lbs MORE than the Ford because the Ford weighs that much MORE!

Since when is softer shifts a better thing? Granted, to hard is not good but the sledpuller's do not have "soft" shifts.

And quote:

We have to admit there is something intangibly desirable about the rumble of the Cummins motor and hard-shifting Ram HD transmission that communicates the truck is ready and willing to work, and work hard. But the refinement, power delivery, driving comfort (when empty and loaded), productivity center, and powertrain technology makes us believe Ford has taken the segment to new heights.
Power delivery as DEFINED BY THEM is the smooth shifting...

New heights of disagreeable marketing....

Quick Reply: Motor Trend 2011 F250 vs. 2010 RAM 2500