4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Integrated Trailer Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sapper043
Exactly I am used to something a bit more aggressive or progressive while this seems to be a bit on the weak side but I am also curious how many axles I can brake. I know my old controller would do upto 2 axles. I have not been able to find out if this will do upto 3-4 axles or not. I don't want to find out the hard way the first time I try to pull a tripple.
It is rated for up tp 4 axles
Old 06-22-2010, 10:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another issue...

I'm having an issue with my integrated controller also. 2010 3500 dually crew cab. When I hook up my camper with electric brakes, the truck continually tells me that the trailer brakes are disconnected, even though the brakes work and it tells me that they're connected when I apply the truck brakes. It chimes continually and is about to drive me nuts!

Bob
Old 06-23-2010, 04:42 AM
apc

I have had issues with My trailer and the Dodge integrated control , however I had the same issue with my prior dodge and a brakesmart control. I have to connect several times and wiggle the connection to get the truck to sense the brake circuit. In both cases I suspect the connection in the trailer umbilical cord. If there is corrosion or looseness the control does not see a complete circuit. Try checking along those lines.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:17 PM

Am taking mine to the Dealer tomorrow to have controller checked out. It definitely does not act like other controllers ive used. I've monitored the display when I apply the brakes and sometimes it doesnt even show it is applying braking to the 5ver. Other times it seems to load heavy but doesnt reflect that on the display. Majority of the time it seems to stop the Truck and Trailer with no problem but I have been lucky and havent had to really test the brakes so far.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:58 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Darnme2000
Am taking mine to the Dealer tomorrow to have controller checked out. It definitely does not act like other controllers ive used. I've monitored the display when I apply the brakes and sometimes it doesnt even show it is applying braking to the 5ver. Other times it seems to load heavy but doesnt reflect that on the display. Majority of the time it seems to stop the Truck and Trailer with no problem but I have been lucky and havent had to really test the brakes so far.
What kind of brakes are on the fiver? as per Q / A with the Doge boys the other night (and earlier posts in this thread) they don't work with some of the Elec / hydraulic brake setups..
Old 07-13-2010, 11:09 AM

My trailer brakes SUCK!!!! If I push the pedal hard enough to hear my truck tires skidding, then I finally have a little trailer brake. It has got me into trouble a couple times already, and I haven't even loaded the trailer to my "normal" levels.

My old 95 trucks brakes were worse, but at least the trailer brakes work right. This is basically the only complaint I have with the new truck, besides towing fuel mileage...and the dealer wants me to install an aftermarket brake controller...my Uncle and Cousin's Fords don't need one, nor do the 3 Chevy's we have in at work pulling the same trailer.

Junk!
Chris
Old 07-13-2010, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
What kind of brakes are on the fiver? as per Q / A with the Doge boys the other night (and earlier posts in this thread) they don't work with some of the Elec / hydraulic brake setups..
They are Electric only. Took the truck to the dealer today and had to leave it with them overnight so I wont know what they have to say about the controller until tomorrow
Old 07-14-2010, 10:50 AM

UPDATE: Picked up truck from dealer and they told me the diagnostics on the brake controller showed it was working correctly. Guess all I can do is try it again although I told them I consider it a major safety issue for it to have an intermittent problem especially when I am towing 11000 lbs. Didnt seem to phase them. Said it was ok. I will just monitor it and if it acts up again will raise total hell until they swap it out.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:23 PM

i have had the same issues with braking. Either it seems like there is a delay or that it doesn't come on at all. i have a carlisle elec./hyd system on my trailer. carlisle has a part that will connect to the trailer that is supposed to correct the problem and there is an adapter u can put in the truck to put in a new brake controller using the existing wiring. hopefully i will have it fixed one way or another next week.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:41 AM
apc

Wish this control had a lot more response , Dodge has to do something. I have found a quirk for the hook up. I have left key in and radio on while hooking up and I seem to get the trailer disconnected message every time. Tried the wiggle as suggested in My previous post and it only works sometime. If I turn the key off and remove the key then hook up success first time for a good hook up. Now that seems strange but works. I wish it had more aggressive braking capabilities.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:14 PM

Well, I raised hell and they swapped out the controller today. Will have to wait till next time I pull the 5ver to see if it performs the same or better.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boys..I hate to say it, but from what i am reading on this post i am glad by 2010 isnt equipped with an integrated brake controller....

I installed the prodigy that i used in my 07....

Seems to me like a simple solution would be to abandon the factory controller and install an aftermarket...i know this seems like a waste of money since you have one from dodge that came in your truck, but is there really a price on you safety, comfort and confidence when it comes to towing your trailers....

just my 2 cents...
Old 09-21-2010, 08:02 AM

That is probably what I will do if the new controller doesnt prove to be any better.
Not going to give up on getting them to make mine work like it is supposed to though.
Does anyone know who actually makes the controller they use?
Old 09-21-2010, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The integrated brake controller in my dad's 2010 came out yesterday. It just would not work correctly. Sometimes there are brakes, sometimes not. They swapped out the controller, all cables are good, same issue.

The Maxbrake controller should be here by the end of this week.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:37 AM

I will be putting in a MaxxBrake if they can't make this factory pile work any better.

Chris

Quick Reply: Integrated Trailer Brake Controller