4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Heavy Duty Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Heavy Duty Comparison

Anyone read the test results from the new "Big 3" truck test yet?

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....roduction.html

No surprise, it would have been nice to see the Ram atleast beat the Ford...Still wouldn't change my decision, But Ram has to do something to compete a little more in my books......
Old 08-15-2011, 01:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Running the Ram at W.O.T. just doesn't seem right. Not a 4th gen guru, but my truck performs better if I keep it in its sweet spot. No doubt the results would be different if the driver were allowed to experiment a bit with the throttle.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:03 PM

I think the Dodge did pretty well. It is after all a straight six. With a better transmission it would have been a different game. But like it was noted all of these trucks are ridiculously over powered for the average consumer. I have way more power than I need as it is pulling a 10-11K 5th wheel. I'm very happy with my truck with the new interior, ride and price. But if Dodge does ever go with the Allison well then..........................
Old 08-15-2011, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly, these acceleration tests mean nothing to me. I tow allot and just got back from a trip in the mountains. The straight six did amazingly well and good fuel economy too. I need reliability, durability and most importantly low end torque. The 6.7 provides me that in spades.

If I want to go silly fast I have a KTM RC8 sitting in the garage.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by 6 Shaker
Anyone read the test results from the new "Big 3" truck test yet?

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....roduction.html

No surprise, it would have been nice to see the Ram atleast beat the Ford...Still wouldn't change my decision, But Ram has to do something to compete a little more in my books......
While on paper and print I would agree but I question some of their ethics any way. I think there current commercial stating the legacy of their diesel pretty much says it all. We all know all the power in the world doesn't mean a hill of beans if you are stuck on the side of the highway. Also based on 1st hand experience with some of my friend with the new Fords and Chevy's the average truck off the lot doesn't seem to do as well as these "test" vehicles.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:42 PM

Not shocked, But i know one thing the dodge looks so much better!! The Ferd and cheby look like something an 8 year old would draw...POS IMO. + H&S fixed my truck so I have the best of both worlds now
Old 08-15-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by klx650a2
Honestly, these acceleration tests mean nothing to me. I tow allot and just got back from a trip in the mountains. The straight six did amazingly well and good fuel economy too. I need reliability, durability and most importantly low end torque. The 6.7 provides me that in spades.

If I want to go silly fast I have a KTM RC8 sitting in the garage.

How do u like the RC8??
Old 08-15-2011, 05:58 PM

These comparisons really make me laugh. I think at the end of the day, whatever you buy; someone will always find something wrong with it.

I remember when my Uncle bought '90 Cummins. Folks laughed and said it sounded like a tractor. 600k miles later, it still hauls 14k of hay.

I am sure the Chevy and Ford can do the same, but I know personally the RAM can.

It is matter of perspective.

My soapbox is now empty.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:39 PM

It kills me to see people get bent over a mere second in a quarter mile. I couldn't care less if a chevy out accelerates a Dodge by a few feet, its still a chevy with and antiquated interior. The fords engine is a time bomb just waiting for a cab off repair. I'll stand fast with Dodge win, lose or draw.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:08 AM

All are good trucks. The GM interior can't compete, The FORD is unproven reliability wise and only has a 60,000 mile warranty. As said before, who runs their trucks WOT and races to the top of a mountain? Also, DEF consumption and cost factor was left out.....If I'm spending 50k plus on a truck I want reliabilty. Hence the medium duty engine in the Dodge is a no brainer. OH service interval and vehicles the cummins is used in (including FORD meduim duty trucks, dozers, tractos, etc.) make the dodge a no brainer. Ford and GM are going after a market that prefers a truck to react like a gas engine (quick and fast) and all the test emphasize this. The Dodge is a a lot cheaper off the lot also. Most people trade their vehicles in after 100,000 miles and don't tow much or tow heavy so the big strong point of a dodge (durability) is not as much of a factor. I'd like to see this test after the trucks have 200,000 miles on them, cost of repairs up to that point and DEF consumption..... Tow that load of 19,000 lbs for 200,000 miles and abuse the trucks like they did in the test...I bet the outcome is much different.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by deere nut
All are good trucks. I'd like to see this test after the trucks have 200,000 miles on them, cost of repairs up to that point and DEF consumption..... Tow that load of 19,000 lbs for 200,000 miles and abuse the trucks like they did in the test...I bet the outcome is much different.
I agree, long term test with operating cost's. I bought a dodge (1st one ive ever owned) because it was the only one available with a manual trans. I love this truck !!!
Old 08-16-2011, 09:10 AM

Dodge will increase their HP when they go to Urea injection next year. Of course, Chevy and Ford will keep increasing too.
In another five years we will have trucks with 800 HP that get 4 MPG. Yipee.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:17 AM

I have both a 2010 dodge and a 2011 Ford. Fords auto does a lot better job then the dodge auto. When the dodge shifts the tq converter unlocks rpms go up a few hundred rpms then it slowly goes to the next gear, now wait a few seconds and the tq locks. This just has to kill the dodge in a head to head race. When the ford shifts it is smooth and quick and the tq converter locks almost instantly.

Now I pull a lot heavier then what the truck is rated for and I have had no problems with the dodge auto after 27,000 miles. I would really like to see dodge come out with a HD clutch for the G56 so they can up the power ratings. When it comes to Dodge trucks manual transmissions are still the towing kings.

On the downhill test where the duramax down shifted to 2nd gear and was turning 4150 RPM's I don't think that was a good thing at all. That will effect long time durability
Old 08-16-2011, 10:55 AM

Why is everyone still so against Urea? If you are not deleting, it IS A BETTER SYSTEM!! If you are deleting, then why do you care?

SCR/Urea lets you use less of the "in cylinder" emissions, and lets the engine be more efficient, then you clean up the exhaust. Why in the world is this a bad thing?

Chris
Old 08-16-2011, 11:35 AM

anything that lets the engine use less EGR is a good thing to me. And I would be in the camp of keeping the current torque/HP ratings & working on the MPG.

Quick Reply: Heavy Duty Comparison