4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Green fuel?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Green fuel?????

Every time I have filled up my truck, the GREENEST stuff comes out of the pump – it looks like antifreeze. With living in corn country, I’m assuming that this is bio-D, but there are no signs on most pumps. I’ve tried several stations around here and they all seem to have the same stuff in the fuel. One pump that was labled said it may contain 5 to 20% bio fuel.

After I got home I checked my OM to see what was permissible in my 2011 – 5% with warnings not to exceed.

No big truck stops around here so my options are not large, are there any additives I should be using to protect things from the evil witches brew? Any problems I need to watch out for?

Treehugers!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2011, 11:21 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
if you do decide to use an additive, make sure its "bio" capable.

off topic, you get your vibration/noise fingered out?
Old 05-27-2011, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Startgeezer,
Here is a copy of the Q & A on ULSD fuel from the Clean Diesel Alliance web site and the link to the home page.
Q.Do ULSD and LSD fuels differ in appearance?

A. The refining process that removes the sulfur can cause ULSD fuel to generally look lighter in color and possibly have a colored tint. ULSD fuel may have less odor than other diesel fuels due to the reduced sulfur content. Changes in color and smell do not impact the performance of ULSD fuel. ULSD and LSD fuels for non-taxable use may be dyed red, similar to today’s non-road diesel fuel. These possible changes in appearance also might be noticed in LSD fuel, as downgraded ULSD fuel can be sold as LSD fuel.

http://www.clean-diesel.org/highway.html

So you may not be using Bio-D at some of the stations you are filling up at.
I know that every station that I have used from North Carolina to South Dakota have had the same color looking fuel. Except in Kentucky where one station was still dispensing LSD fuel.
I normally cut a part both of my fuel filters on my truck at every filter change. They normally are just black with no debris in the paper element. When I have been forced to used Bio-D, I have found some debris in the filters, not a lot but something is in the paper element.
So I keep two fuel filters in my truck as spares at all of the time in case of plugging.
Jim W.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seems to me back in the days before they regulated the sulfur content, "clear" fuel had a definite green color to it. Fuel today has a very pale green tint to it.

That's my $.02.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
off topic, you get your vibration/noise fingered out?
It's in the shop now. The conversion company fllew a tech here and he changed a few things with little change. He was able to solve the noise from the front driveline - too sharpe an angle on the driveshaft. They changed to a high angle carden joint and changed the front springs to ones that give a 4" lift.

He also dropped the carrier bearing 1/2" with no change in the noise in the back.

The heavy shutter on takeoff was unchanged - it feels just like a clutch slipping.

With the truck on jackstands they ran it up to 50mph and found a big noise coming from the rear diff. So now it's back at the local dealership to see what that is. I don't know if these limited slip axles have clutches in them anymore but, if so, it might be the cause. Otherwise, the gears back there are shot.

I hope we find out today.

How are you doing?
Old 05-27-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by scot pa
Seems to me back in the days before they regulated the sulfur content, "clear" fuel had a definite green color to it. Fuel today has a very pale green tint to it.

That's my $.02.
Thanks Scot. Way back when I had a diesel before - back in the late 80's - it seemed that the fuel was yellowish color (or was that the Army diesel??) I can't remember for sure, but it was NOT green. I would not have been surprised to have found the Army stuff green .

Thanks again.
Larry
Old 05-27-2011, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jim W
Startgeezer,
So you may not be using Bio-D at some of the stations you are filling up at.
I know that every station that I have used from North Carolina to South Dakota have had the same color looking fuel. Except in Kentucky where one station was still dispensing LSD fuel.
I normally cut a part both of my fuel filters on my truck at every filter change. They normally are just black with no debris in the paper element. When I have been forced to used Bio-D, I have found some debris in the filters, not a lot but something is in the paper element.
So I keep two fuel filters in my truck as spares at all of the time in case of plugging.
Jim W.
Thanks Jim. I've got to admit that I'm not up on these things like I was many years ago. The Bio thing concerns me a lot after I heard of one guy having his fuel system, (filters, lines, rail, injectors the whole thing) wasted by bio-D and Ram telling him "too bad, no warrenty". I don't care to run the stuff.

If it's all green, how do you know what your buying if theres no label?
Old 05-27-2011, 12:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have seen ULSD from almost clear to a slight blue/green tint. I assume it's the lubrication additives adding some color to the fuel.

MikeyB
Old 05-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Stargeezer
It's in the shop now. The conversion company fllew a tech here and he changed a few things with little change. He was able to solve the noise from the front driveline - too sharpe an angle on the driveshaft. They changed to a high angle carden joint and changed the front springs to ones that give a 4" lift.

He also dropped the carrier bearing 1/2" with no change in the noise in the back.

The heavy shutter on takeoff was unchanged - it feels just like a clutch slipping.

With the truck on jackstands they ran it up to 50mph and found a big noise coming from the rear diff. So now it's back at the local dealership to see what that is. I don't know if these limited slip axles have clutches in them anymore but, if so, it might be the cause. Otherwise, the gears back there are shot.

I hope we find out today.

How are you doing?
i am doing well. was at the VA today and got some meds hope they find the issue with your truck. can't wait to see it!
Old 05-28-2011, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stargeezer
Thanks Jim. I've got to admit that I'm not up on these things like I was many years ago. The Bio thing concerns me a lot after I heard of one guy having his fuel system, (filters, lines, rail, injectors the whole thing) wasted by bio-D and Ram telling him "too bad, no warrenty". I don't care to run the stuff.

If it's all green, how do you know what your buying if theres no label?
I usually only buy from the same station all of the time. I buy from Meijer's in Oswego IL. Then will use Murphy Oil and Shell, I never use BP as every time I have looked at their fuel it is Bio. I try to stay away from Pilot and Flying J as they now use Bio in IL. When we pull the 5er I will fill up at a Loves or Shell oil.
Jim W.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:23 PM

Excuse me for saying this and being off topic, but do these people realize how many poor family mouths could be fed with all the corn being wasted?

Star, I see the same thing down here in Texas with the fuel. Don't sweat the color. As far as additives, I have heard good things about Racor. I am trying the product as of now.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by baileymotorsusa
Excuse me for saying this and being off topic, but do these people realize how many poor family mouths could be fed with all the corn being wasted?

Star, I see the same thing down here in Texas with the fuel. Don't sweat the color. As far as additives, I have heard good things about Racor. I am trying the product as of now.
I can see your point, honestly. I think the set aside program for agriculture is the most ridiculous thing in history, but isnt the corn used for fuel dent corn???
Old 05-28-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
I can see your point, honestly. I think the set aside program for agriculture is the most ridiculous thing in history, but isnt the corn used for fuel dent corn???
I have no idea regarding the fuel dent corn. I googled and this came up. If this is true, then I have no problem with using that type of corn. Any farmers on here know the real story?

http://www.ilcorn.org/ethanol/6-food-and-fuel/
Old 05-28-2011, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
I don't know about the whole country, but the farmer that leases our land raises corn specifically for ethanol. It's a special 'breed' that Monsanto came up with just for that purpose. They use the stalks for bio-diesel somewhere in Michigan too. A few years ago he was raising it for Kellogg's. I think he grows for whoever is paying the best projected prices and can't say that I blame him. I know his soy beans, which he grows on the other half of our property, can be for anything from animal feed to human food additives to bio diesel. Again it's who ever pays the most at harvest time.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:41 AM

I've spilled a little in the snow and it's been a cool light green color. Maybe it's just winter diesel?

Quick Reply: Green fuel?????