4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Fuel tank plumbing

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel tank plumbing

I'm in the process of installing a auxiliary tank in the bed tank in my new 2014 dually. My plan is to cut the metal filler vent tube between the ground screw and the rubber hose.

Anybody know if the Dodge guys put some computer, or secret sensor, valve, or god knows what else in the tube downstream towards the tank, that I shouldn't be messing with?

Thanks

Oh, Love the truck. Not missing my 05 at all, but thats another story.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
no you are ok. i have a 110 gallon aux tank in mine. I use an electric solenoid to shut fuel off though but I also have a 150gph pump going thru a 2micron filter from the top tank to the bottom tank. I always fill the top tank and xfer fuel so it gets filtered. Found the solenoid on ebay with 1/2" pipe threads. I have had it overfill even with the switch in the on position and pump off. 110 gallons of fuel has a nice heavy hydrostatic pressure especially when its 100 degrees out and the tank is trying to pressurize itself.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:22 PM

Thanks cbrahs, I'm curious how long it takes the OEM fuel gauge to catch up with the transfer. On my 05, it took a key cycle before it understood the mid air refueling.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Chapter President

well it takes a long time that is for sure. since I have a 150gph pump just to transfer fuel, I have to shut the pump off when the gauge reads 1/2. by the time it catches up it is actually a tad over 3/4. I have forgotten the pump and left a nice trail of fuel on the ground .
Old 05-10-2014, 03:45 PM

Just finished it up this morning. Works great. Thanks for the moral support.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I want to add a gravity fed tank to my 2013. My truck does not have a fuel cap but a push-in, spring-loaded stopper. It appears that stopper creates a seal. My question is, can a gravity fed aux tank in the bed be allowed to continuously "drain" into the truck's tank and not leak (out of a vent or the spring-loaded stopper)? timk006, is that what you are doing by chance? Thank you.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:14 PM

Personally, I wouldnt trust those little flaps that far. I cut into the metal vent tube, between the ground screw and the rubber hose, down by the tank. I have a pump that feeds into a T fitting at that location. I could get under there and get you a picture if you like.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:33 PM

Anyone out there letting their bed tank continuously gravity feed the truck's tank with success? Anyone out there try it and then get a leak?
Old 06-04-2014, 06:37 PM

Mine gravity feeds from a 45 gallon aux tank. Parts bought from northern tool that feeds into filler hose neck where I added the shut off t connection. Ball valve in it shuts off the fuel flow when fuel fills up to the vent. Works real well. Just dont tak3 off the fuel cap while the aux tank is full. It will flow out.
I know when the aux tank is empty when my fuel gauge moves below full.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:47 PM

I did what JabotheHutt did. Thanks for the suggestion. I ordered the kit from Northern Tool for 2013-up Ram trucks. Install was a bit of a challenge. I removed the entire filler neck assembly which as 5 hoses. The large fill tube is made out of metal and I didn't want to cut it in the truck allowing all the shavings to enter the fuel system. One of the 5 hoses "zip ties" at the top of the filler neck assembly so I cut the zip tie and left that hose in the truck. The other 4 hoses had to be disconnected on the "truck" or "inner" end. 2 of the hoses for the DEF tank had push-in quick-disconnects.....very easy. The fuel tank metal tubes had hose clamps and they were positioned RIGHT ABOVE the frame rail....dumb. There are 3 screws under the fuel door that need to be removed. The kit only came with 2 large hose clamps and 4 are needed....dumb. Be sure and cut out the length of filler tube that matches the length of the kit's adapter. I cut out a portion close to where the rigid metal fill tube meets the flexible rubber hose (longest section of straight fill tube). No leaks and system is working well so far. I've read there is potential for an error code with newer trucks. So far my trips have only been around town. After I take a road-trip and drive for several hours I'll post the results.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:04 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by handymantim
I did what JabotheHutt did. Thanks for the suggestion. I ordered the kit from Northern Tool for 2013-up Ram trucks. Install was a bit of a challenge. I removed the entire filler neck assembly which as 5 hoses. The large fill tube is made out of metal and I didn't want to cut it in the truck allowing all the shavings to enter the fuel system. One of the 5 hoses "zip ties" at the top of the filler neck assembly so I cut the zip tie and left that hose in the truck. The other 4 hoses had to be disconnected on the "truck" or "inner" end. 2 of the hoses for the DEF tank had push-in quick-disconnects.....very easy. The fuel tank metal tubes had hose clamps and they were positioned RIGHT ABOVE the frame rail....dumb. There are 3 screws under the fuel door that need to be removed. The kit only came with 2 large hose clamps and 4 are needed....dumb. Be sure and cut out the length of filler tube that matches the length of the kit's adapter. I cut out a portion close to where the rigid metal fill tube meets the flexible rubber hose (longest section of straight fill tube). No leaks and system is working well so far. I've read there is potential for an error code with newer trucks. So far my trips have only been around town. After I take a road-trip and drive for several hours I'll post the results.
how big is your aux tank? have to remember that the stock tank when TOTALLY full is near 40 gallons. if you have gravity feed and a full aux tank and then include the heat of the summer, it has to go somewhere with the hydrostatic pressure plus the increased pressure from the heat and expansion. I highly suggest installing a ball valve to shut off fuel from aux to main. even with a cap (mine is 2011) with a full main and a full aux, I forgot to shut off my switch (i have an electric solenoid that controls fuel and also a fass 150 gph pump to transfer going thru a 2 micron filter into the main tank) I have left a trail of fuel a mile long before I saw it
Old 07-01-2014, 08:47 PM

After 2000 miles, not one issue. No leaks and no computer codes thrown. System worked awesome. It was great having double the capacity.