4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Drove a new 2500 with 800 HO motor today

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People who say there 6.7 is much nicer than a 5.9 have never taken there intake horn off and looked at the grid heaters!!............
Old 01-31-2012, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by terb
People who say there 6.7 is much nicer than a 5.9 have never taken there intake horn off and looked at the grid heaters!!............
No problem if deletes are done early. If you wait too long you might want to clean the grid when doing the deletes. I won't argue the the clogged up stock motor is better. It certainly performs well enough but needs some "help" to avoid later service issues. An immediate side benefits of the deletes is cleaner oil. However, if I could get the 5.9 combined with the six speed auto and integrated engine brake that would be the best of both worlds. Deleting is a crummy way to have to overcome the issues caused by Federally mandated emissions levels.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:15 AM

I live in Calif. If I do the deletes on a 12 I am going to have problems with warranty and smog checks down the road, right? If I don't do them my MPG will suck and so will the smog devices, if they don't kill the engine. Besides, pay 50K for a truck that doesn't run right? I am not bashing, just trying to figure it out.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:54 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by terb

I suggest you go play somewhere else...

Originally Posted by Highway 4x4
I live in Calif. If I do the deletes on a 12 I am going to have problems with warranty and smog checks down the road, right? If I don't do them my MPG will suck and so will the smog devices, if they don't kill the engine. Besides, pay 50K for a truck that doesn't run right? I am not bashing, just trying to figure it out.
Not necessarily. Some guys are getting 15-17 with them as it rolls off the showroom floor wit no bluetec issues.

Its not that it doesnt run right, it just runs so much better without the EPA junk.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Boojie_00786
Speaking of which; do the heavy duty trucks come with the wifi hotspot like the 1500s? If so, how well does it work and who is the mobile service through?
Just saw this....

Im really not sure. Sorry bud.

I just use my jailbroken iPhone for a hotspot.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:57 PM

Is there anyone in the So Cal area that has done the deletes and done it in such a way that inspections won't be a problem down the road. Not just visual but also codes set and there forever. I know the warranty would be gone. But the state can really put a hurt on you for smog stuff not there, or at least that's what I have herd.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:59 PM

Run a programmer and just the delete pipe. Dont even touch the stuff under the hood.

When its inspection time you could have the DPF and NOX scrubber back on inside of an hour. Get inspection done, redelete. Its a pain, but would be worth it.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:47 AM

Thanks for the info but my gut feeling is that diesel is in a time of transition as many things are. Maybe in a few more years they will have it figured out. Sad, the new cab and trans is sweet but not sure the neg side is worth it . I really don't tow that heavy, total weight added to truck inc TT is about 8K so the thought of eventually going back to gas is a thought and as the market sits today there is some argument for it that could be explored here except this is a diesel forum. Don't get me wrong, I love my diesel and if there weren't the issues there are with the new ones I would probably be in line for one like I was in 03, but things change. Todays new diesels, with smog, are not set up as a good short drive DD as mine is. Add the $7K diesel option price tag and the added price for fuel, throw in the lower MPG and higher maintenance. Unless you really tow heavy or really love diesel, and live in delete friendly state you're in for a rough decision. JMHO
Old 02-04-2012, 11:54 AM

highway i am in total agreement with you. i just bought a c&c 3500. while i love the way it down shifts and applies ex brake and the integrated trailer brakes i am not in love with the mileage. this truck has become my back up truck since i bought a larger truck recently. so now this is kind of a daily driver backup work truck. now i am worried about the sooting issues etc. i really hope the urea on this minimizes this problem but we will see. lately it is getting 13mpg mixed highway/some local. i really was hoping for better than this seeing as they derated the motor for better mileage/longevity. the other thing is i plow snow with it and when doing so it seems to be in constant regeneration(computer dosent tell me) but makes the sound of it and throttle response gets weird. we'll see how this pans out for me but i would love to trade it for a manual 5.9 at this point.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:34 PM

Confused

Hey guys...I'm confused. I thought that all 2011s 6.7's that have auto's were 800's. Reading this post, 2011.5's only?? I don't give credit to "just badges"...does the VIN number give any hint?
Old 05-25-2012, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by BARTMAN
Hey guys...I'm confused. I thought that all 2011s 6.7's that have auto's were 800's. Reading this post, 2011.5's only?? I don't give credit to "just badges"...does the VIN number give any hint?
Hi, the HO 800,s were started the in the first week of May 2011. Not any before that time were 800,s. Don't know about the VIN number part.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:15 AM

1200 miles on my 12' 3500 Laramie srw 4x4,w 4:10 rear, and LOVE it!! No issues as of yet,other than a bump induced rattle on the passenger side will let dealer track it down hopefully on first visit. Gonna be hooking up the toyhauler next week for the first road trip of the summer. So far compared to my 6.0 King Ranch, this truck is a pulling beast and plan on deleting after some more miles, to make my smile even bigger while driving it !!
Jim
Old 05-28-2012, 12:13 AM

Traded a 2005 Ford 6.0 towing 14.5K for a new Longhorn 3500 dually 6.7. So far no issues with the epa crud. I have been a Ford man for long time. My 6.0 was good to me. But I do not hot rod my tuck. I was running a juice edge and modified exhaust and intake. The Dodge which I am growing to love is different from Ford. Ford puts a lot more metal in the bodies. Can't use my wind shield on the top of my Dodge due to the flimsey roof top. The intergrated braking system on the Dodge doesnt come close to being as smooth of operation as the Ford. The Ford Transmission shifts much smoother than the Dodge. The exhuast brake on the Dodge is absolutely AWESOME!!! Gave up 5 mpg towing with the new Dodge. And about the same empty on the highway. Not mad at the Dodge, just saying what the differences are. If I could delete without losing my warrenty I really feel that I would see close to the same mpg. all in all I would most likely do it again. Dodge in my opinion is the best looking truck on the road. Just hate the mpg.