4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Drove a new 2500 with 800 HO motor today

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 06:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by shlen
2012 HO Here, 2 months old...so far...fantastic. Except for a boulder/big rock jumping out and attacking and crushing the rear dually box quater panel.
Ouch, that's gotta' hurt. Last month my neighbor's daughter took their brand new Laramie crew longbed around a rock wall corner too sharp THE DAY THEY BROUGHT IT HOME and tore the side all up. Dude was in tears.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife still hates to drive my truck - she is certain that SOMETHING is going to happen when shes behind the wheel.
I really would not divorce her if something happened,
I really would not divorce her if something happened..................
Old 12-03-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Stargeezer
My wife still hates to drive my truck - she is certain that SOMETHING is going to happen when shes behind the wheel.
I really would not divorce her if something happened..................
I can assure you a new truck is cheaper than a divorce.

My 6.7L has been problem free. 1st turbo, 1st dpf, 1st everything.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:43 PM

We just returned from an 800 mile trip with my 2012 3500 C&C crew cab. I pulled my equipment trailer with 2 Jeeps (approximately 10,500 lbs.) to Rausch Creek Offroad Park in PA. Overall fuel mileage average was 9.1. We found that this truck was very quiet and comfortable with 5 people in the cab. The exhaust brake and the trailer tow transmission function work so well, that no brake application was necessary to slow the truck on down hill grades. The integral trailer brake control, exhaust brake, trailer tow function and the large brakes on the truck, stopped the rig in a very controlled and positive way. I found that the fuel mileage increased when the trailer tow function was "OFF", and I would engage it on an uphill grade, which downshifted from 6th. to 5th., just before I sensed that the transmission was going to downshift on it's own. Doing so prevented the "hunting" between 5th and 6th. gears. There were some uphill grades that I used the downshift control on the shifter to drop from 5th. to 4th. in order to maintain speed.
Overall I am very pleased with the truck, but I wish that it had the same fuel economy, pulling the same load as my son's 2004 2500 with a Banks 6 Gun.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Stargeezer
Any time I read phrases like "Everyone I know who..." the BS meter lights up and whistles blow as the needle swings to the far end of the scale.

I'll only add my vote to the upcoming chorus of 6.7 owners who really dig the new ride and motors. There are no problems with a 6.7 that deleting the EPA won't cure. Frankly, that’s true of anything on wheels today.

With the tag line showing a 91 1/2 W250, perhaps you might like take one of the new ones for a test drive - things have gotten better since Fred Flintstone and Barney double dated Wilma and Betty. After all, its always better to form opinions based on experience than rumor.

Ya, I never drove one...except for the first one off the truck at the dealership where I worked.
I also was not likely to have replaced any DPFs or turbos because of the soot build up.
Having worked at the only Dodge dealership in a 20mi. radius I probably also didn't know very many people that owned them either.

I'm not totally hating on the new trucks, just saying what most of us know: the EPA helps screw up a lot of good things. Believe me, when I go out and start up my 1st gen. in the 6 degree morning weather I'll be wanting those heated seats and steering wheel.

Hope there's no bad blood with you 4th geners. I might be able to drop $50K on a truck one day and would hate for you guys to still be mad at me then. LOL
Old 12-05-2011, 07:23 AM

Geez Boojie, Did somebody spill ketchup in your beer? Just lighten up the attitude and if you have something to say - contribute.

I havn't heard some one with that big of a chip on their shoulder since the 5th grade.

Remeber that if you work in a SERVICE dept, you only see the trucks that have a problem, not the hundreds (like most of us) that don't have a issue. Sure we'd like to be rid of the EPA crap, but thats not going to happen under ob....

As for buying a 4th gen - keep doing a good job sweeping the floor at your dealership and you just might own one. A better move is to do whatever needs to be done to shuck off the dispair I hear, step to the plate and own the place.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Now Larry. Lets not be to critical. Im sure Boojie has a point, but like we know, plenty of good 6.7's out there.

Besides,

Technology is a good thing, just dont tell that to the 12 valve guys.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Boojie_00786
Ya, I never drove one...except for the first one off the truck at the dealership where I worked.
I also was not likely to have replaced any DPFs or turbos because of the soot build up.
Having worked at the only Dodge dealership in a 20mi. radius I probably also didn't know very many people that owned them either.

I'm not totally hating on the new trucks, just saying what most of us know: the EPA helps screw up a lot of good things. Believe me, when I go out and start up my 1st gen. in the 6 degree morning weather I'll be wanting those heated seats and steering wheel.

Hope there's no bad blood with you 4th geners. I might be able to drop $50K on a truck one day and would hate for you guys to still be mad at me then. LOL

"I have a friend who's girlfriend's ex boyfriend knows a guy that said these 6.7 engines are horrible."

LOL

Tobin
Old 12-06-2011, 11:05 AM

If there were an option to get a 12valve in a 4th gen I would certainly take it.

I had an '89 1st gen and while the motor was great, I do not miss the Salvation Army inspired interior and suspension.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Nevada

I had an '89 1st gen and while the motor was great, I do not miss the Salvation Army inspired interior and suspension.
Maybe, but the red kettle coin tray was a nice feature.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I love my '90

Probably more than my '11

The '90 is a sentimental thing though.

The '11 is a tad more comfy.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by M Penwald
Maybe, but the red kettle coin tray was a nice feature.
You must have got the luxury model! LoL.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Now Larry. Lets not be to critical. Im sure Boojie has a point, but like we know, plenty of good 6.7's out there.

Besides,

Technology is a good thing, just dont tell that to the 12 valve guys.

Speaking of which; do the heavy duty trucks come with the wifi hotspot like the 1500s? If so, how well does it work and who is the mobile service through?
Old 01-05-2012, 10:36 PM

absolutely love mine. no worries at all.
realized no info in sig line
2011 srw longbed 4x4 68rfe 3500 HO mm dpf delete.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I already loved my stock 2011 HO Dually. Now that she's deleted and chipped she's even better. What a beast!

Lucky to live in a place with no smog police.

Quick Reply: Drove a new 2500 with 800 HO motor today