4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Damaged tailgate

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 03:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damaged tailgate

I have a 2014 Dodge diesel 3500 with the rear camera etc. During my holidays I had a problem with my 5th wheel where my hitch malfunctioned and my 5th wheel came down on my tailgate. I was able to reduce the damage and it looks like I got away easy and will be a easy repair and fairly inexpensive. My rear camera is still working and am wondering if removing the tailgate is as easy as my old Dodge? I am concerned about the wiring and if it is plug and play. If so I will remove the tailgate and drop it off at a repair shop and will be still able to use my truck.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:11 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Ive never had my tailgate off but I seem to remember that the truck came new with a plug to cover the tailgate connector if the tailgate is removed so it must be fairly easy.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:25 AM

Thank you. I was able to find that it is plug and play but what I thought was an easy and inexpensive fix is not. It appears that if the tailgate is hit from the top edge then fixing it is not possible and a new tailgate is required. My lock handle and camera are OK so all I need is a new tailgate. I am looking for a used one that can be used but may end up buying a new one and have it sprayed at my local RV dealer who has done other work for me.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:09 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Before buying a new tail gate I would check with other body shops. On my 2001 ram I backed into the corner of a brick pillar with the tailgate down, it pushed the top edge in about 2 inches but I was able to get it back to straight and being that the tailgate already has a plastic topper it would hide a very slight imperfection anyway.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:09 PM

I went to another body shop and they told me the same thing. So now I am back to square one. I really id not want to go through my insurance but may have to if the cost is too much. I am in no great hurry but I hate to drive a damaged vehicle no matter how small it is.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to have my tailgate replaced just recently on my '16 3500. According to the body shop work order to the insurance company the cost was $596.00 plus labor & paint.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Backed into a tree being stupid. Even with the beeper system. Ok dealer was 6-700 for gate, Top spoiler was $100 plus, broke it also. Looked on E-Bay for used. Found new painted color match including shipping under $500. Out of Michigan and we were making trip there so even though "Free Shipping" I saved an additional $50. They changed all over for $75, almost while you wait so saved quite a bit over dealer. Can't remember name but an E-bay search should do you.See some are still on there. Only problem I had is mine was a bed liner spray and Linex and other were out of this world price wise for doing just the gate.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by donhov
Backed into a tree being stupid. Even with the beeper system. Ok dealer was 6-700 for gate, Top spoiler was $100 plus, broke it also. Looked on E-Bay for used. Found new painted color match including shipping under $500. Out of Michigan and we were making trip there so even though "Free Shipping" I saved an additional $50. They changed all over for $75, almost while you wait so saved quite a bit over dealer. Can't remember name but an E-bay search should do you.See some are still on there. Only problem I had is mine was a bed liner spray and Linex and other were out of this world price wise for doing just the gate.
Wish our dollar wasn't in the tank, because we get hosed up here. I found one yesterday, new condition with all the emblems and back up camera that I can get for about 900.oo Cdn. I can get it painted at my RV repair shop for a good price. (I practically own this place with all the money I have spent there over the years). I can probably recoup some cash by selling my camera and decals on Kijiji.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:33 PM

I was able to get the price down to 800 bucks due to the colour of the tailgate, the colour of my truck is Prairie Pearl and this one was an ugly Orange and had black logos and mine are chrome. I figure I might be able to sell the camera and decals to help in cost.