4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Cummins needs to step it up soon!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What they all need to do is make the trucks affordable. Starting price for all of them will probably be near $50K. That's ridiculous. Keep everything as simple as possible (and no simpler) so I can maintain it, up the MPGs by 50+%, strengthen the tranny so it will handle some mods, and get the price down. I paid $32K for my '05 Laramie when the 06's came out. Man am I glad I bought when I did.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by grantx5
What they all need to do is make the trucks affordable. Starting price for all of them will probably be near $50K. That's ridiculous. Keep everything as simple as possible (and no simpler) so I can maintain it, up the MPGs by 50+%, strengthen the tranny so it will handle some mods, and get the price down. I paid $32K for my '05 Laramie when the 06's came out. Man am I glad I bought when I did.
Wouldn't that be nice. They are so far in the hole why not go a little more. Oh wait someone has to pay for the green technology. Sure is nice to breath since that is about all we can afford any more since it takes twice as much fuel to run the new motors.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by grantx5
comparing prices with something 5 years ago isnt a fair evaluation. I bought my laramie in 04 for 36k and sticker was 44k. If i look at a comparably equipped laramie for 2010, im looking at 50k, a difference of 6k. When you figure teh new trucks have more emissions crap that has to be on there, more bells and whistles that are standard, and the costs of goods going up in 5-6 years, 6k increase is about right. Yes you are gonna pay more right now for the 2010 if you want the truck, if you wait more incentives will come out and you ought to be able to get one in the low 40's , high 30's if its a plain jane.

IF you dont want to pay 50k, get an ST model or keep the truck you have. Some peopel prefer the extra stuff and i dont think the price is too far out of line for what it is. To each his own
Old 12-17-2009, 06:37 PM

Not everyone needs the power that the new FORDS will have.... Cummins needs to back off the HP/TQ Race and keep reliability and MPG's up..... Sure Make a H.O. Version for the NEED/WANT Crowd! Lower the Warranty Time on the H.O. Engines and see which most buy!
Old 12-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Chapter President

Why base the purchase of a truck off of the factory ratings? A simple tune and your above any of the ratings anyway, the ones that don't tune usually buy for reasons other than tons of horsepower. Even if the Cummins has the lowest power rating of the big three, I would still buy one for the fact that it is a Cummins, has legendary reliability, and stands the test over time and time again. I took a test drive in a 2010 2500 today and that things pulls like no other, and the new truck is incredible. Dodge really has a winner with this one. My next truck when the prices go down a tad.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:53 AM

Should be interesting to see how the Cummins sans urea injection does against the Ford with it. Urea does sound nice promising to bring back up to 4 mpg, almost make diesels seem worth it again. But refilling that bottle and the DEF could get to be an expensive pia.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Administrator
I agree with you there. I love the power of my truck, but I hate the mileage. My 6.7 is getting about 13-14. I remember my old 24v getting 18 to 20. Man I miss those days...
Ditto
Old 12-21-2009, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by rufushusky
Should be interesting to see how the Cummins sans urea injection does against the Ford with it. Urea does sound nice promising to bring back up to 4 mpg, almost make diesels seem worth it again. But refilling that bottle and the DEF could get to be an expensive pia.
Wondering how much the SCR-Urea setups cost on them also. Wasnt there a pretty good $$$ increase with just the DPFs/EGR on 6.7s? Love my 06 . I am sure that 6.7 Ford engine is not cheap, but compared to a dodge??? Who knows.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by purduepurdy
Wondering how much the SCR-Urea setups cost on them also. Wasnt there a pretty good $$$ increase with just the DPFs/EGR on 6.7s? Love my 06 .
With any emissions equipment the total cost basis of the vehicle goes up. Whats SCR look appealing is if it can follow through on its 3-5 mpg claim, depending on the the cost DEF, it could be one of the few systems that helps your wallet. That being said I am not getting rid of my 04.5.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My question is, whats going to happen when that urea freezes and won't thaw. It freezes at 12 degree F, up here we have 5 months where the temperatures never get ABOVE 12 degrees.

I can only imagine some good old boys having a few barley pies and "helping" someone fill their urea tank in a bar parking lot, then the guy wondering why his vehicles power is reduced...

Some interesting reading...
http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdf...es/MB10033.pdf
Old 12-22-2009, 11:28 AM

They keep uppin up the horsepower and makin the motors bigger which are more fuel thirsty so they can pass the emssion crap and push it through all the restrictions. If you got rid of all that, it would have plenty of power, and be much better on fuel and much simpler... I miss the old days when everything wasn't so green. Its ruining our society.