4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Cabin Filter Mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure why it's taken so long to get this done, but I was looking at prices for the components on the interweb and found this place that put together a "kit". It can be bought cheaper elsewhere, but thought it was interesting that a vendor mated them.

http://allmoparparts.com/1500-cabin-filter-p-3863.html
Old 01-06-2014, 05:41 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
That certainly is a good price I paid more than that for just the cover. They do catch a ton of junk but the price of filters has kept increasing in leaps and bounds, some places want $34 for just the filter. I made up a washable one then I thought that a 3M electrostatically charged furnace filter would do a better job so I took one that has the aluminum retainer on both sides and cut into 6 filters around the outside, cost was just over $2 each.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:43 AM

Did the Cabin filter mod yesterday. Easy mod, the hardest part was contorting my body to cut the hole! I didn't heat the blade up, I just used a brand new sharp blade. It cut pretty easy(thin plastic) I just followed the outline at an angle, filter slid right in and cover snapped on. Thanks to Geno's! I got a Mopar Cover and a Wix charcoal filter $25.95. Now see how long the filter last. May put a "Hog hair" filter in if the Wix gets full quick, then I'll have a reusable filter. Thanks for the Post, I never would of known I could filter the incoming debris.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't got my new truck yet but was wondering if the 2014 3500's are the same as my old 2010 which had the mod?
Old 08-06-2014, 09:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just had a look in my '14 and the slot is there, ready for you to take the knife to it.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by sledhead01
Just had a look in my '14 and the slot is there, ready for you to take the knife to it.
Thank you. It will be first on my list.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:10 PM

Hi guys,

Just did the filter mod on my 2014 3500 and it was really easy. $20.00 for the cover at dodge and $17 for the fram filter at lordco. I like the idea of not having all the dust going into the cab.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:32 AM

I am down in Yuma right now and decided to buy some extra filters to take home and just about fainted when I found the filters had doubled and tripled in price since last year. Can someone explain how to make up our own filters and where do buy them and what size would work?
Old 02-20-2015, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Albertaguy
I am down in Yuma right now and decided to buy some extra filters to take home and just about fainted when I found the filters had doubled and tripled in price since last year. Can someone explain how to make up our own filters and where do buy them and what size would work?
If you look back through this thread it explains how to make cleanable ones but I made 6 from a single 20X25 3M electrostatically charged furnace filter from Costco in a 3 pack, one that has the aluminum mesh on both sides. Cost was about $2 each, they don't look as pretty but do the job. I used tin snips and cut from around the outside of the filter to the same size as the original one.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Busboy
If you look back through this thread it explains how to make cleanable ones but I made 6 from a single 20X25 3M electrostatically charged furnace filter from Costco in a 3 pack, one that has the aluminum mesh on both sides. Cost was about $2 each, they don't look as pretty but do the job. I used tin snips and cut from around the outside of the filter to the same size as the original one.
Is the thickness close to the regular cabin filter?
Old 02-21-2015, 11:21 AM

It's close if I remember but could always make a washable one from a washable furnace filter, the draw back with the washable one is the frame cuts down on the surface area where the 3M ones don't, you get full airflow plus the amount of things the 3M filters stop is incredible, they are listed on the package.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:49 PM

It's close if I remember but could always make a washable one from a washable furnace filter, the draw back with the washable one is the frame cuts down on the surface area where the 3M ones don't, you get full airflow plus the amount of things the 3M filters stop is incredible, they are listed on the package.
One last thing, is it stiff enough to allow entry into the slot? I was thinking whether there was a way of beefing up the three sides that do not have the aluminum edge?
Old 02-22-2015, 09:07 AM

The 3M filter has aluminum mesh on both faces of the filter not the edges, I use them in my house furnace and they catch very fine dust that would normally go through a cheap filter because of this the filter can become clogged quickly, I think 3M uses the mesh to prevent the filter from collapsing if it becomes clogged.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:45 AM

The 3M filter has aluminum mesh on both faces of the filter not the edges, I use them in my house furnace and they catch very fine dust that would normally go through a cheap filter because of this the filter can become clogged quickly, I think 3M uses the mesh to prevent the filter from collapsing if it becomes clogged.
Sounds good, thanks.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:13 PM

Tanx for the info ..... does any one knows why is it that the 4gen ram don't have a cabin air filter in them to begin with??

Quick Reply: Cabin Filter Mod