4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

In bed flush mounted tool box SB with 5th wheel prep.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In bed flush mounted tool box SB with 5th wheel prep.

Anyone have one in their rig? Looks to be a skinny fit. Looking to get some type of quality watertight unit. What are you using?

Thank you.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:57 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I am using a B&W fifth wheel companion but the feet are probably close to the factory mounting.I looked all over and at the time there was nothing out there except for a custom made one. The problem with the companion is it needs to be lifted straight up to clear the pin before removal. I bought a full width aluminum checker plate that was bed height by 20 inches, I then cut the bottom corner off and was going to weld it back in placed but inverted to give a cut out, unfortunately the width of the saw blade was too much to weld so I used aluminum extrusion on all the corners with PL-pro glue then pop riveted it all back together. After paint in factory paint and clear coat to match the truck it's been awesome and was very cost efficient. I did set mine up on 2x2 aluminum extrusion tube to give clearance underneath for a 2x4 or sheet material.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:04 PM

I had the factory tow package with the picture frame adaptor and had to sell it to make room for my tool box / fuel Cell. The box was 20 inch's deep but with the 1.25 inch's needed for the bed rail against the cab, the box sat right on top of the front two tow package holes. I sold the 5th wheel hitch, Mopar frame adaptor, and changed out the pin box on the trailer to a Goosebox. Now I just drop in the gooseneck ball and go (Hell of a lot easer to move in and out of the truck also). The other option you can look into is the Anderson ultimate 5th wheel which. This would have been a extremely close fit for me, as I was about half an inch off from it fitting, you may have the needed room on your set up.
My fuel cell /truck box was a 60 gallon RDS box that needed to be trimmed to fit behind the wheel wells, make sure you have the room there also.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by silver_2000_tj
I sold the 5th wheel hitch, Mopar frame adaptor, and changed out the pin box on the trailer to a Goosebox. Now I just drop in the gooseneck ball and go (Hell of a lot easer to move in and out of the truck also).
Just wonder if you have had the goosebox very long, I really like the idea of using just a B&W goose ball but I am having a hard time dealing with the safety chains. I know that safety chains aren't required in some states but where I live they are. Do you have to use them all the time and if so are they a pain because of the RV rather than just a plain goose trailer, do you climb into the box or hang over the rail?
Old 02-25-2015, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Busboy
Just wonder if you have had the goosebox very long, I really like the idea of using just a B&W goose ball but I am having a hard time dealing with the safety chains. I know that safety chains aren't required in some states but where I live they are. Do you have to use them all the time and if so are they a pain because of the RV rather than just a plain goose trailer, do you climb into the box or hang over the rail?
Hey there, I have made a few runs with the trailer and the new goose box and can honestly say I love it. I just wish I changed to this sooner. The safety chains are nothing in comparison to the effort and time needed of loading the 250lbs of the frame adaptor and sliding hitch in an out of the truck each and every time we went some where and returned. I have the pucks that drop in the factory tow package and just slide the clip hooks on to them. Heck it takes longer to lower the tail gate then it does to hook up the chains. Truth be told the only way you could be caught is if some one is looking into the bed and see that they are not there.

The ride to me is also an improvement, as it just seams smoother without the bucking and chucking I experienced with the 5th hitch. Now the down side is that it's not as easy to hook up as the ball is just out of sight of the rear back up camera and I'm looking at a way to increase the time and accuracy of connecting the trailer to the ball when I'm by myself. To me the trade off is worth every penny for the conversion...... Did I say how much I love not having to life in and out the adaptor and the hitch....LOL
Old 02-26-2015, 11:53 AM

Not to hi-jack the thread but thanks for the reply and your input on the goosebox. I can see where hooking up the safety chains wouldn't be a problem with the factory tow package but I'm using a B&W turnover and the safety chain attachment is right beside the ball.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:33 PM

I looked at all of them and none will fit with the "picture frame" in place.
I did get a 46 gal. from ATI tanks that fit and was under the bed rail so I can use a tonneau cover.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
silver 2000 tj, I have a simple method to ease in hooking up. Get a fiberglass driveway marker stake and drill a hole in a scrap of lumber that the stake will fit snug in. Preferably a 2x6 or 2x8. Put the driveway marker in the hole and stand it up just in front of your gooseneck ball. Back up until the front of the hitch is just touching the driveway marker and centered on it. You should be in position to hitch up. When not in use remove the marker stake from the board and they don't take up much room in a tool box or along the edge of the bed. I have a chest box in my bed and can not see my ball. This makes hitching up quick and easy. I am in perfect position every time the first try.