4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Back again

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back again

hello all,

I'm back again after a year away from the forum as my 2007.5 6.7 drove me crazy with constant trips to the dealership. Spent the year away with a GMC 6.2 with the max package and just didnt cut it towing and having to use high test.

Anyway I'm back with another mega cab, this time a 2011 3500 with the hand shaker transmission. I heard they were some big changes from 2007.5 and now when it comes to how the trucks run and I hope they are mostly true and I can once again live happily with my cummins diesel.

No looking to run any mods or delete but I am looking for a slightly louder throaty rasty exhaust. What do you all recommend?

Matt-
Old 02-19-2012, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Matt, if you not planning on doing any deletes than I would not spend any money trying to change the exhaust system. There is no way to improve the sound on the 6.7L engine exhaust without removing the Nox filter, Catalyst or the DPF in the exhaust system. These all muffle the sound just like a muffler.
Jim W.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Agreed. I bought a muffler delete for a friends 6.7, no change AT ALL.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:24 AM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jim W
Matt, if you not planning on doing any deletes than I would not spend any money trying to change the exhaust system. There is no way to improve the sound on the 6.7L engine exhaust without removing the Nox filter, Catalyst or the DPF in the exhaust system. These all muffle the sound just like a muffler.
Jim W.

I concur. The factory muffler is the least restrictive muffler available. It is a straight-through design. I would leave it 100% stock if I were you.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:55 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Is there anything in particular I need to be on the look out for with this truck? It feels a lot different from my 07.5, not necessarily engine wise but it is a bit louder in the cab and I hear the turbo winding up down the highway which is nice but the cab is quiet over rough roads.

Glad to be back on the road with dodge and cummins.

Are there any guys out there with the manual who can give me some advice on towing with this transmission?

Thanks again.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:22 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MaineRam
Thanks for the info guys. Is there anything in particular I need to be on the look out for with this truck? It feels a lot different from my 07.5, not necessarily engine wise but it is a bit louder in the cab and I hear the turbo winding up down the highway which is nice but the cab is quiet over rough roads.

Glad to be back on the road with dodge and cummins.

Are there any guys out there with the manual who can give me some advice on towing with this transmission?

Thanks again.
If your gonna stay stock, tow you little heart out, you wont have any issues other than the weak clutch. Then if it does does go, a good single disc from South Bend will have you fixed up.

If you get the mod bug, go with a DD3250. It has held perfectly the little I drove it, and will be taking a little trip with the RV when I get home in May so I can give more info. Lil noisy, but I got 7qts of Gorilla juice sitting at home waiting to go in.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:05 AM

Thanks for all the advice.

Does anyone else want to share thoughts/driving tips with the manual transmission? I use second gear from a stop so far and have yet to tow with it because we still have a lot of white stuff up here.

I have been up shifting around 2200 rpm and it seems happy, it will up shift at lower rpm's and wont bog down but it seems happier around 2200.

Thanks.