4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Want YOUR input on bumper designs!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 08:37 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Mike, I have no pictures of our products on 4th gens because we haven't done any yet! You can go to the Backwoods Bumpers web site and look at 2nd and 3rd gens. When you say a tube bumper, are you talking about the typical pre-runner style like you would see on a desert truck? Basically just a skit plate, winch mount, and tubing? I like the way those look on the right truck. As for weight, our front replacements range from 100-300lbs, depending on winch mount and grille guard.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

So far, the general consensus seems to be:

-Keep the bumper close to the front of the truck (and still fit a winch)
-Keep as much ground clearance as possible. We'll also angle the sides up as much as possible for tire clearance.
-For now we'll probably do something similar to our current deluxe model (many angles and faces).
-unless I hear some more input on the guards, we'll offer the same ones as we do for the 3rd gen trucks

I would like some feedback on rear bumpers.... For now, it's most economical to offer one rear bumper (with more coming a little later). Here are the 3 that we have offered for 2nd and 3rd gens. Which style would most people prefer?
Attached Thumbnails Want YOUR input on bumper designs!-pb193855.jpg   Want YOUR input on bumper designs!-newrear.jpg   Want YOUR input on bumper designs!-deluxeguard.jpg  
Old 01-12-2011, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I would like to see more angles, fewer angles just look plain, if i spend $1000- $2000 on a bumper I don't want a "lil tikes" look!! Not sure what your design will be, but the fab four unit doesn't look bad at all.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:28 PM

Well I should've hit refresh, I like the 3rd gen bumper, ALOT!! like the light gaurds and angles. Is the reciever hitch built in or is it a factory unit and if it is the factory hitch, how easy is it to reach to change ***** ?? Is turning clearances decreased due to the bumper sticking out further? I had a rear replacement on my furd, hated it. The hitch was built in and the way it attached to the frame it ALWAYS slipped down to where the hitch was looking at the dirt... Ended taking it off.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:21 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

It keeps the factory hitch. I have never seen a bumper hitch that didn't slip. I tried making a bumper/hitch combo for my own truck and I wasn't satisfied.

The ball/hitch isn't hard to change. The red truck is mine and I have that same bumper on it. It doesn't stick out much further than the stock one. A few inches at most. Thanks for the compliments and your feedback!
Old 01-13-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Backwoods Bumpers
So far, the general consensus seems to be:

I would like some feedback on rear bumpers.... For now, it's most economical to offer one rear bumper (with more coming a little later). Here are the 3 that we have offered for 2nd and 3rd gens. Which style would most people prefer?
Is the unfinished bumper a Winch Bumper? If so, I would love to see it for a 4th Gen Truck. My purchasing time frame is late Spring / early Summer so I will keep my fingers crossed.

DamMan
Old 01-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Hey DamMan, the customer custom-ordered it like that because he is mounting a winch where the spare tire used to be. There's not enough room to mount a winch behind a rear bumper unless you do something custom like that. It wouldn't be hard to fab up though. I think that style will definitely be in the 4th gen line. Thanks, Evan
Old 01-13-2011, 09:19 PM

this is a TC evolution
If i could do it all over i want to keep the wrap around the lights and fenders. bringing the center A bar or bull bar higher up then it is in this picture but still attaching at the same points and give it a little more room from grill to bumper grill. Maybe a built in skid plate. On the rear i really like the custom winch bumper in the pictures you provided up top but most bumper makers (sometimes not ranch hand) keep them so close to the bed of your truck and barely gives you any room to use it as a step improving the chance of slipping and eating a piece of your tailgate. I would buy a rear plate bumper that gave me at least 10" of platform to use. We just ordered a ranch hand for the rear on our 2010 but still factory on the front.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Hey man, that's a sharp truck - I love the hood. I am also a fan of the Mud Grapplers. I wish I could afford to run them on all 6 of my truck.

I appreciate your reply - this demonstrates the difficulty of what we're dealing with! Some people - like you - want to use their truck for work and want a bulkier design. Others want to use it for sport and want a very slim design. It would be nice to find a happy medium, but maybe the best option is to offer both styles!
Old 01-14-2011, 12:09 AM
DJM

That's a very sharp truck, is there a winch in that bumper ?
Old 01-14-2011, 08:50 AM

Of the rear bumpers shown my favorite is the unfinished one. It looks heavy duty with the oprtion for some nice sized lights. Not a fan of the one on the dually due to the larger end caps on it, I like a clean and simple look. I am asuming there would be provisions for the seven and 4 pin outlets to mount? Will it accomodate the backup sensors?

I agree with other comments made earlier about having the bumpers fit closer to the body. I've owned several brands of front-end replacements and never liked the large gaps I had on my truck.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

People seem to like that design. A member here (majikMD) named Adam custom ordered that (see "project rock" in the 3rd gen non-drivetrain section). It will definitely make it into the lineup. Yes, trailer plugs holes and license plate lights are standard. Backup sensor holes will most likely be a free option.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Backwoods Bumpers
People seem to like that design. A member here (majikMD) named Adam custom ordered that (see "project rock" in the 3rd gen non-drivetrain section). It will definitely make it into the lineup. Yes, trailer plugs holes and license plate lights are standard. Backup sensor holes will most likely be a free option.
Yes, I really like that bumper too. A little more wrap for a dually and it would be just perfect.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

I agree. I've considered dropping our "deluxe" model - red truck above - and replacing it with that one. I would still make the taillight guards an option for those who like it.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by DJM
That's a very sharp truck, is there a winch in that bumper ?
These bumpers come standard with winch mounts but I did some extensive modification to this one to add vents remove tow hook gaps, winch gap, and add a hitch receiver. It's been a while since I bought this I noticed now that they added vents on some TC bumpers.

Quick Reply: Want YOUR input on bumper designs!