4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Newbie - Looking for Some Guidance...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Newbie - Looking for Some Guidance...

Hello All, this is my first post. I am in the North Florida area and I just recently bought a 2012 Ram 2500 Outdoorsman with the 6.7 Cummins. It has about 128,000 miles on it and has had some deletes done, etc. My issue is that I have no experience with Ram Diesels and do not have baseline to measure the truck against so I can't tell if its running right. It's my first diesel truck but I have a lot of experience with gas motors and a little experience with marine diesels.

The truck I bought has a factory exhaust brake but I can't tell its doing anything when on. I am also throwing various codes (mostly egr stuff) and getting an EVIC message that the exhaust needs servicing immediately.

I have done quite a bit of research and spent some time going over, under and around the truck and I figured out it has the following:

• 5 inch straight pipe from the tail to the turbo. Doesn't appear to have any muffler (and yet it's not that loud?) and the NOx, DPF, and Cat are definitely missing. Under the truck I've found the connectors for the exhaust sensors and they are just hanging, not taped or otherwise sealed. There are 5 of them I think plus the two pressure tubes near the trans which are open to the atmosphere.
  • There is a red puck in the engine bay and a rotary switch under the steering wheel. I am 99% sure this is a Power Puck from Diablo. Its plugged in to the MAP Sensor at the back of the engine I think. I can't tell that it does anything when turning the rotary dial.
  • The EGR stuff is still in the truck but it appears to have been unplugged, at least partially. Also I found a small black square with wires (jumper of some type) plugged in between the EGR Actuator and the harness under the Throttle Valve.
  • S&B Intake and AFE Intercooler.
  • H&S XRT PRO programmer. When I hook it up it shows that its running a mild tune (60 HP) and set up for towing. It also shows the aforementioned MIL codes.
  • The truck doesn't smoke at all, not even a wisp of smoke from the tailpipe, even under full throttle although there is some soot in the pipe. I don't really want it to smoke but I understand this may help diagnose some of my issues is why I mention it...
  • The truck feels fairly strong and accelerates good but its not like the "wow" I expected. I haven't towed with it but I did pull my 8k lbs. boat out of the yard and I wasn't super impressed compared to my 2009 Hemi 1500...

I've changed the CCV filter and that's about it. I want to get the codes sorted out and get rid of the EGR stuff and get this thing running clean, strong and efficient.

Questions:
1. Could my exhaust brake be unplugged or malfunctioning explaining the EVIC message?
2. Should I try and update the XRT and re-flash the ECM?
3. EGR and throttle valve delete or new intake horn?
4. Could the motor be starving for fuel? I was thinking of a fuel filter mod and big line kit but will this be enough?
5. The trans seems to shift fine, but under hard acceleration the later gears shift too soon I think. Would a trans tune fix this and is it worthwhile?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!
Old 05-01-2015, 08:18 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
First I would record the codes then clear them and see what comes back, that way you will know which ones are current codes and not from when the truck was first deleted. You can check the exhaust brake by listening to the tail pipe with the brake off then turn it on and the sound should change to almost a whistle. Definitely update the H&S and their transmission tune works wonders and in my opinion is worth the money. I would get rid of the egr cooler and change the intake horn. Take out the pressure/temp sensor in the intake horn and inspect it a new one is under $50, it's the one on the rear and has a single torx screw holding it. Welcome to DTR.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:55 PM

Okay, the exhaust brake is working for sure now and the codes are all gone along with the EVIC message. I updated the XRT Pro and then re-flashed and it seems to have cured the codes and all. Also the brake whistles loud now when idling so its definitely working.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:13 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by JPnC
Okay, the exhaust brake is working for sure now and the codes are all gone along with the EVIC message. I updated the XRT Pro and then re-flashed and it seems to have cured the codes and all. Also the brake whistles loud now when idling so its definitely working.
That's great but don't forget to check the pressure/temp sensor in the intake manifold, you might be amazed at how clogged and dirty it is.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:01 AM

Removed and cleaned the MAP sensor and you were right, it was gummed up pretty good.
Worries me about how the rest of the intake/exhaust looks...

I removed the power puck and the BD power adder that was plugged into the MAP sensor. The original owner had several power adders stacked up on top of the XRT Pro...

So far no codes or messages and its running better. Still not a lick of smoke either...

Thanks to all for your help.

Now on to adding gauges in a dash pod so I can see what she's doing and getting the cooler out of there...