24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need some guidance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some guidance.

Good day,
I have a few questions today some insights and some cheer,

1 , I’ve noticed that my truck’s butt is gingerly light,, I was in a slight bit of mud and at idle torque was enough to get me spinning how much weight in the back to keep my tires communicating with the asphalt?

2, Since my mods I’ve noticed an increase in my MPG, (cheer part here) when I first drove this truck (this year) over head comp said 15.9 AVG MPG, at this time it’s almost to 20 MPG
I’m (obviously) pleased with this but am concerned as to weather or not I should even trust the overhead comp,
Things I’ve done in addition to the upgrades
I’ve cleaned the radiator, (almost 1/3rd closed by oil goop) new thermostat, (180), replaced MAP ( bad) and cleaned the IAT, put stock tires back on.
So in case you didn’t surmise my question can/should I trust that my MPG is actually increasing, I also understand that cooler temps may be playing into this? I did note that one day I was hauling 3k load MPG dropped to 18.6 right quick, has since returned to the 19.7

3, I am looking at the xzillaraider or XZT+ however, unsure as to how to make that choice.
What I’m after in this order is being able to monitor the important related functions, the mileage,
and power options that’s it, so I need to know what I’m after,

4, Will I need to worry about my transmission, injectors?
And by the by, if all this goes well I’m not adverse to future upgrades as long as the mileage stays fairly stable.

thoughts and comments appreciated
Thanks ~Pappy~
Old 10-31-2007, 10:18 AM

Pappy,

Let me see if i can shed some light on some of your questions...

Originally Posted by pappyscrapster
1 , I’ve noticed that my truck’s butt is gingerly light,, I was in a slight bit of mud and at idle torque was enough to get me spinning how much weight in the back to keep my tires communicating with the asphalt?

put about 4 bags of sacrete in the back, that should give you some extra weight.

2, Since my mods I’ve noticed an increase in my MPG, (cheer part here) when I first drove this truck (this year) over head comp said 15.9 AVG MPG, at this time it’s almost to 20 MPG
I’m (obviously) pleased with this but am concerned as to weather or not I should even trust the overhead comp,
Things I’ve done in addition to the upgrades
I’ve cleaned the radiator, (almost 1/3rd closed by oil goop) new thermostat, (180), replaced MAP ( bad) and cleaned the IAT, put stock tires back on.
So in case you didn’t surmise my question can/should I trust that my MPG is actually increasing, I also understand that cooler temps may be playing into this? I did note that one day I was hauling 3k load MPG dropped to 18.6 right quick, has since returned to the 19.7
20 mpg sounds about right, but i think the overhead is just for grins... i'd go by the odometer myself....

3, I am looking at the xzillaraider or XZT+ however, unsure as to how to make that choice.
What I’m after in this order is being able to monitor the important related functions, the mileage,
and power options that’s it, so I need to know what I’m after,
Sounds like your on the right track with that module... i know some guys runnin that and they like it, but its just your preference.

4, Will I need to worry about my transmission, injectors?
And by the by, if all this goes well I’m not adverse to future upgrades as long as the mileage stays fairly stable.
Lot of the automatic guys get they're bands adjusted, but if you plan on going all out with the mods, you're gonna need to upgrade your tranny... i'm sure some auto guys will chime in on the details....

Have a good one!
Old 10-31-2007, 01:01 PM

Just for referance, my overhead is dead on with my odo calculations. Now the real time display probably isn't 100% accurate but my average economy was exactly the same down to the tenth. I average ~18mpg combined on a bone stock HO, can't wait for a few mods to bump that up a little .
Old 10-31-2007, 01:35 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
My overhead is pretty darn close w/ my hand calc's off the odometer and fuel added between fill ups. The variable being how much time I have to wait for the foaming to subside to get to a consistent filling point.
My mpg's went up a tad after opening up the exhaust.
I haul a bit of weight around in the bed but have noticed a definite traction loss when empty and the roads are wet or driving on dirt/mud.
You didn't mention your trucks mileage. As the Cummins ages it tends to loosen up a little and get better and better mileage. Dad's neighbor is getting around 22 with a bone stock 97 auto 4x4 at around 200K, a good thing with diesel at $3.69 a gallon round here! Good luck, Kurt
Old 11-01-2007, 03:43 PM

Hummm forgive but what is sacrete,concreat like?
Thanks for the imput Starkey
Old 11-01-2007, 04:01 PM

Wait for HOSS to chime in, he has a pretty good solution for increasing rear traction.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:22 PM

Lol Timmay! Yeah HOSS has some serious traction...

Yeah Sacrete is the 80lb concrete mix... like QuickCrete...
Old 11-02-2007, 09:14 AM

Ohhhkayyy,,Hoss,, what say you// as to the mileage, does it yo/yo like that these rigs prone to that?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:26 AM

I have an old water bed that I fill up for the winter. 1200 pounds. Kinda fills the bed however haha. Doesn't seem to affect mileage.