4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

New custom headache rack installed!

Old 09-26-2012, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New custom headache rack installed!

Name:  photo3.jpg
Views: 14499
Size:  79.7 KB
Old 09-26-2012, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work looks great.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:11 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Very nice but not what I'm looking for.. Has anyone installed a quick release type of back rack? I need something I can install for hauling long pieces but removable for RV towing.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Busboy, do you mean you need a back rack for near the tailgate that can be removed? Or would you want to take the actual headache rack off. I understand the rear rack would be in the way but a headache rack should clear a huge 5th wheel easily.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rollin'_Coal
Busboy, do you mean you need a back rack for near the tailgate that can be removed? Or would you want to take the actual headache rack off. I understand the rear rack would be in the way but a headache rack should clear a huge 5th wheel easily.
I want one up behind the cab but I also want to be able to quickly remove the whole thing. I have a short box with a B&W goose and companion. With no rack I can almost turn at 90 degrees partly because of the B&W hitch but also because of the design of the front of the trailer. The height is also a concern as well, my son has the same truck and with his headache rack it rubs the door seal on the bottom of the 7 foot garage door. I have a tool box in the back and may use some 2 1/2 inch receiver fastened to each side of the box then make an aluminum rack out of 2 inch square tube to slide in if I can't find something suitable soon.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an aluminum rack made by interior off road, since you're in Edmonton I assume you already know exactly what it looks like as they are everywhere down there. I guess I would have to see your trailer to understand the concern. My old truck was a short box with the same rack and I never had any problems towing a big 5er. Does the front of your trailer actually come within 3-4" of your back window?
Old 12-23-2012, 07:54 PM

Under normal driving it doesn't come close but I do take the 5ver into a couple of very tight spots one at home where I normally park it when not in use the other at the farm where it has to fit between the shop and another 5ver the same size because the hook ups are there. Adding a normal back rack would cut 4 inches off the available cab to the corner of the 5ver clearance but apart from that I would also be tight getting under the garage door seal and as I don't use the rack much anymore, I just hook a trailer up and use that. It's when I want to haul a ladder or pick up a small amount of metal that taking a trailer becomes a pain and a back rack would work great. After the holidays I'll get busy and make one that attaches to the sides of my tool box that way I can also make it a fraction lower to better clear the door seal.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice work. I just installed a Ranch Hand Hauler rack on my truck a couple of days ago. I REALLY like the way it looks during the day and at nights with the lights on. Very pleased with it. I was actually coming here tonight to post pics when I saw you're thread, but I don't wanna hijack so I'll start another.