4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Might Deletes have to be undone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:57 AM
The Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just went thru my transmission throwing codes and going into limp mode. Basically not shifting gears at all. I run the H&S overdrive. I thought that the transmission was done.

I took the truck to the dealer, they found that my line pressure sensor was NFG and replaced it under warranty. No BS about my H&S tuner or my OD programer. They told me that they work on H&S deleted trucks all the time and have no issues with the programmer.

Yes they bugged me to do the recall reflash, but I refused it. I get along fairly decently with my local dealer. I've bought 6-8 vehicles for my business over last 6 years.

I even offered to pay for the repair, but they told me it was done under warranty.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NCPADiesel
Haha I just mentioned this concern in Crabjoe's 2013 thread in the regular forum...I don't want to go and delete our 2012 and then have to take it the dealer and they flash it and then I have a useless $400-$1000 tuner sitting there.
I took my 08 in for the latest flashes that were available in Aug of 09. I had the truck up-dated and have not been back since. In Aug 09 I deleted and installed my Smarty and became my own warranty station. The only warranty issue I ever had up until that time was the emission equipment and software for the emission equipment. So now 40K miles later I have never had any issues with the engine or transmission since I deleted. Get your flashes done before you delete and never ever go back for any type of service to protect your programmer.

(Chrysler) Ram closed my dealer and sent me a postcard stating that the new to me Chrysler car dealer would perform all warranty and service work on my truck. Will I ask the service writer if they had any level 4 techs that could work on a diesel truck? Will the service writer stated that any mechanic that they employed would work on the truck when service is required. Will that told me I did the right thing and will never be going back their ever, even to buy a new truck.
Jim W.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:34 AM

Hopefully on topic:

Can the dealer reflash a vehicle to where it cannot be deleted/accept a tuner?

ie: reading a carfax report on a '10 and says reflash emissions equipment.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by fullsizeaggie
Hopefully on topic:

Can the dealer reflash a vehicle to where it cannot be deleted/accept a tuner?

ie: reading a carfax report on a '10 and says reflash emissions equipment.
No, they cannot prevent you from deleting. But what could happen is if you were deleted and the dealer flashed the ECM than this could lock out your programmer. Smarty informs all users to return the ECM to stock before having service work done to the truck to prevent the programmer from being locked out. You would need to either have your programmer repaired (un-locked) or buy a new one after a re-flashing was done.

Now on the 6.7L ECM they will detect if a programmer was used and there will be a tell-tale sign on the programmer.

I also believe there have been several updates to the emission software for each model year and the dealers are required to bring the truck up to the latest software by Ram at time of service. So this is why the truck was re-flashed by a dealer.

Jim W.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jim W
No, they cannot prevent you from deleting. But what could happen is if you were deleted and the dealer flashed the ECM than this could lock out your programmer. Smarty informs all users to return the ECM to stock before having service work done to the truck to prevent the programmer from being locked out. You would need to either have your programmer repaired (un-locked) or buy a new one after a re-flashing was done.

Now on the 6.7L ECM they will detect if a programmer was used and there will be a tell-tale sign on the programmer.

I also believe there have been several updates to the emission software for each model year and the dealers are required to bring the truck up to the latest software by Ram at time of service. So this is why the truck was re-flashed by a dealer.

Jim W.
I'm getting ready to take my deleted 2010 in for some electrical glitch I've been having. I use a Smarty Jr. I just wanna make sure that if I use my Smarty and put the truck back to stock programming and they re-flash it, will I be able to load my Smarty after the dealer is done?
Old 04-12-2013, 08:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Interior-...12&t_pt=101554
Old 04-13-2013, 11:57 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Dieselbuilder
That won't work with a H&S plus it's not lockable so anyone can just remove it and do what they want.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:07 PM

My truck was in the hop for the fifth time Dpf problem. They put a mey flash in my truck and under the hood was a decal with the flash id no. Then a few weeks I got tired of the same thing.
I hooked up my smarty and it would not work. I got it updated with a new download and it worked perfect. You need to purchas your smarty from someone that can help you with the problems. Do not shop for price.
I can not get over how much better it runs with a smary
Old 04-15-2013, 12:35 AM

It's pretty sad that this is what it has come to. Another reason why I do all my own work and maintenance. Hypothetically could there not be a company building standalone ECMs offshore somewhere that only need say some EFI Live programming and locked by YOU. Boom, you've got a working, dealer-no- touchy ECM? I thought I saw a company building standalone ECMs for the 5.9s common rail trucks, called the zeus or something?

I wish I could go back in time and pick up a couple 93' 12 W250 ext cab 4x4 5 speeds brand new and stash them away so I could avoid crap like this. Heck they were only what, 20-25k brand new back then? Sure beats the 70k msrp chrysler asks now!!
Old 04-15-2013, 01:53 PM

I had bought a 2012 in Nov. of last year with the plans of Deleting but now thats out it looks like.
Sure wish I had my 2007 5.9 back!!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Curious on why you guys reflashing your trucks? I haven't had mine done ever.

I had a recall for emission equipment reflash, but told dodge they can forget about that one. I even told dodge to forget the hvac reflash. If its not broke, why reflash and break whats not broken.

If your trying to make dodge recall center happy forget about doing the delete in the first place.
Used to be that each new Smarty update included the latest factory software load as well. Still true? I used my old 2nd gen Smarty to update a couple trucks by loading SW1 and then returning to stock, but I've never seen anything that confirms the latest load is installed (like a dealer verifying what's in the ECM afterwards). And on a slight side note, do the newest "emissions legal" programmers still void the warranty like the old ones?
Old 04-19-2013, 06:51 PM
The Guru

Not sure on what smarty does currently. My truck has H&S blackmaxx on it version 6.8.21 I'm way out of being current for my 2010 for dodge and way out being current with H&S. As long as the truck works, not sure on how much I care to be up to date.

Not sure why there are 41 different 'tunes' versions on the H&S site for my black maxx
Old 04-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Crabjoe
Over on CF there's post on the 4th Gen Powertrain forum, subject Rrt#12-019.

The guy took his truck in for an oil change and the dealer reflashed his ECM. He didn't know what it was and the short of the story is that it locks the bootloader in the ECM. Makes me think one won't be able to reload the delete tune.

"Secure Bootloader software
If the Engine Control Module (ECM) does not have a calibration installed, or has an unapproved calibration installed then the ECM will be in a Read Only Memory (ROM) boot state. The ECM will have power but the lack of approved software will not allow the vehicle to be started and driven. No further diagnostics of the ECM will be available at this time. This code will be cleared and issue resolved when the ECM is updated with the correct approved calibration.

Refer to the DealerCONNECT > TechCONNECT > Service Information for more detail. DTC U1601 set outside of the dealership with a no crank (towed in), no start condition caused by unauthorized (up-rate) software will NOT be covered under the terms of the warranty. DTC U1601 code may also be set when a legitimate flash is interrupted for any reason. "

On the CF posting, someone posted the TSB, so you can read it for yourself...

Reads as though Ram is getting in on the action of not allowing deletes even on prior model years....
Currently, EFILive does not flash the bootloader on these ECM's. So, if you have an ECM with the anti-tuning bootloader (ends in 601) you will not be able to directly flash it with efilive. You can, however, change the bootloader to something that efi can flash. I have had success doing this with both smarty and h&s. Basically, all you need to do is flash the ecm with one of these programmers and then return it to stock. The bootloader version will now be changed to a version that can be flashed with efi. Now, just flash your efi tune and that's it. You do have to have access to another programmer which can make it difficult.

Mike
Old 04-28-2013, 11:35 PM

h&S says to return to stick when going to the dealer. They can then so whatever and when you pick up the truck, just apply your tune and life is good.

2012 Dodge 3500 Dually 4x4 Mega Cab | Mineral Grey Metallic | Mopar EVIC | Recon Smoked Tail/Fender Lights | S&B CAI | Rickson 19.5 Wheels | Toyo 265/70R19.5 M608Z Tires | Retro Solutions 55w HIDs | Putco Int LEDs | GDP Open Breather Kit | Gateguard II Tailgate Assist | Geno's Condenser Guard | SuperBrightLEDs - cab lights | Geno's QR Grill Kit | Royalty Core Grill | ConsoleVault Safe | Air Lift WiFi Air Bag Control | Carli LT Air Bags | Mag Hytec Rear Diff Covers | Xpel Bra | Reese Elite 5th Hitch & Gooseneck | Viair 480c compressors | Iron Cross Steps and Bumpers | Carli Pintop - Full Leafs/Control Arms/Sway Bar/Lower Steering Stabilizer/Ball Joints | H&S MiniMaxx
Old 06-04-2013, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
I just went thru my transmission throwing codes and going into limp mode. Basically not shifting gears at all. I run the H&S overdrive. I thought that the transmission was done.

I took the truck to the dealer, they found that my line pressure sensor was NFG and replaced it under warranty. No BS about my H&S tuner or my OD programer. They told me that they work on H&S deleted trucks all the time and have no issues with the programmer.

Yes they bugged me to do the recall reflash, but I refused it. I get along fairly decently with my local dealer. I've bought 6-8 vehicles for my business over last 6 years.

I even offered to pay for the repair, but they told me it was done under warranty.

Hey Mike what dealer you use for getting work done.

Quick Reply: Might Deletes have to be undone?