Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-high-performance-accessories-2010-up-200/)
-   -   Might Deletes have to be undone? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-high-performance-accessories-2010-up-200/might-deletes-have-undone-309594/)

Crabjoe 01-21-2013 02:51 PM

Might Deletes have to be undone?

Over on CF there's post on the 4th Gen Powertrain forum, subject Rrt#12-019.

The guy took his truck in for an oil change and the dealer reflashed his ECM. He didn't know what it was and the short of the story is that it locks the bootloader in the ECM. Makes me think one won't be able to reload the delete tune.

"Secure Bootloader software
If the Engine Control Module (ECM) does not have a calibration installed, or has an unapproved calibration installed then the ECM will be in a Read Only Memory (ROM) boot state. The ECM will have power but the lack of approved software will not allow the vehicle to be started and driven. No further diagnostics of the ECM will be available at this time. This code will be cleared and issue resolved when the ECM is updated with the correct approved calibration.

Refer to the DealerCONNECT > TechCONNECT > Service Information for more detail. DTC U1601 set outside of the dealership with a no crank (towed in), no start condition caused by unauthorized (up-rate) software will NOT be covered under the terms of the warranty. DTC U1601 code may also be set when a legitimate flash is interrupted for any reason. "

On the CF posting, someone posted the TSB, so you can read it for yourself...

Reads as though Ram is getting in on the action of not allowing deletes even on prior model years....

Busboy 01-21-2013 04:05 PM

OBD2 lock box.:cool:

NB64 01-21-2013 04:56 PM

This is the second time I've heard of this New reflash. Another post I read said the dealer had told him it has something to do with better fuel mileage but very little else was said about it. I can't seem to find anything and I don't usually bring my truck to the dealer. Has anyone info on this reflash?

NB64 01-21-2013 06:08 PM

Ok I found what I was looking for.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/at...-rrt12-019.pdf

Lary Ellis (Top) 01-21-2013 08:26 PM

Why would you take your vehicle to the dealer if you have deletes done? I don't trust them to change the oil properly let alone do anything technical....

SOhappy 01-22-2013 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top) (Post 3161828)
Why would you take your vehicle to the dealer if you have deletes done? I don't trust them to change the oil properly let alone do anything technical....

Sounds like that's the new standard rule for those with deletes- you are now TRULY your own warranty station. Unless you can lock the dealer out of the OBD port or they'll promise not to connect the star scan tool your deletes will be..uh..undeleted. Too bad this happened in conjunction with the EPA going after tuner companies, else it'd be easy for them to just program a work around. Probably not going to happen now....unless some 3rd party comes along to save day.

Hoss 01-22-2013 08:22 PM

I'd be having a very serious discussion with any dealership that reflashed/locked MY truck without my permission. Especially if it prevented me from deleting or programming. They may have the right to void my warranty, but they don't have the right to prevent me from doing what I want with my truck.

06RAM2500 01-22-2013 09:12 PM

They are NOT to perform ANY UNAUTHORIZED service or maintenance to your vehicle without YOUR permission FIRST!!

Bring in for an oil change, and that's the only thing they're suppose to do. Aside from anything extra that might be included with it (check and top off other fluids).

SOhappy 01-23-2013 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by 06RAM2500 (Post 3162107)
They are NOT to perform ANY UNAUTHORIZED service or maintenance to your vehicle without YOUR permission FIRST!!

Bring in for an oil change, and that's the only thing they're suppose to do. Aside from anything extra that might be included with it (check and top off other fluids).

In a perfect world, yes. But back in days of the dreaded "back up alarm" flash, guys were getting that uploaded automatically when they'd go in to the dealer for anything. It's just S.O.P. for the mechanics to connect the star scan tool, which recognizes which TSBs the truck needs and automatically uploads them. When I took my 2003 in for some warranty work (fuel pump) I specifically told them "I do not under any circumstances want you to plug in the star scan and upload the 'back-up-alarm' flash" (or whatever it was called) and they said "oh, it's a good thing you said something because we would have". Some dealers went as far as to say they were required by law to upload it because it was a safety recall. That was when I first dreamt up an OBD port lock-out device, but figured a small cable-luggage lock could accomplish the same thing.

Mike Holmen 01-25-2013 10:26 AM

Convert the truck to a P7100 pump, tell EPA to re-flash the ECM as much as they want.[laugh] Its wouldn't be that difficult to do.

We should really give back the truck to the dealer, put a stop payment on the loan, buy older truck. Issue fixed.[laugh]

I'm getting really tired of fixing the dealer junk.[duhhh] My old truck can run 50000-75000 miles a year with no cel, my 2010 drove off the dealer lot with the cel on.[duhhh]

krusty 2 01-25-2013 12:59 PM

If I did have to un-delete and load the stock tune back in the ECU. Can the XRT pro be sold and installed into another truck? Or is it locked to the first truck it sees?

SOhappy 01-25-2013 01:27 PM

I think Dodge is going to lose sales over this. I mean, how many times has somebody logged on here with the question "should I buy a 4th gen or not?" we tell them "sure, they're great trucks and if the poor mpgs and extra engine wear/potential reliability issues caused by the emissions system bother you, you can always delete". Next thing you know they're posting about their new truck, then the very next post is "hey I bought a delete kit, how do I hook it up?". I think a lot of people are going to be turned off by the idea of having no other option but to run it stock.

I mean what percentage of these trucks out there have the deletes? On here I bet it's over 75%, probably less than that in the general population but still greater than half. How many of you would've bought your truck knowing you couldn't have deleted?

[rant]

NCPADiesel 01-30-2013 07:17 AM

Haha I just mentioned this concern in Crabjoe's 2013 thread in the regular forum...I don't want to go and delete our 2012 and then have to take it the dealer and they flash it and then I have a useless $400-$1000 tuner sitting there.

Mike Holmen 01-30-2013 09:11 AM

Curious on why you guys reflashing your trucks? I haven't had mine done ever.

I had a recall for emission equipment reflash, but told dodge they can forget about that one. I even told dodge to forget the hvac reflash. If its not broke, why reflash and break whats not broken.

If your trying to make dodge recall center happy forget about doing the delete in the first place.

NCPADiesel 01-30-2013 10:37 AM

Haha I understand where you're coming from but if say something stupid happens other than motor related and I want it fixed under warranty. They want to plug the truck in and some tech says "oh this doesn't have the most recent flash so I'm going to flash it" then I'm assuming I'm SOL.