4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Leak with Sinister EGR kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leak with Sinister EGR kit

Hi Guys,

When I deleted the ERG cooler, I used the Sinister ERG delete kit. It went without any problem, but I just discovered that I have a coolant leak at the blue adaptor that goes into the hard pipe. When I installed it, I lubbed it and the o-ring completely and it went in ok.

Before I pull it apart to find out what is up, how did you press yours in and was there much resistance?

At this point, I'm not sure if its the o-ring or the adaptor, it could be either one.

Thanks,
Larry
Old 02-24-2012, 02:09 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I used the H&S kit and the plug seal was very tight on both trucks even though I lubed them up. I just used hand pressure to install.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:36 PM

We got things apart and back together with no leak this time. I checked the o-ring over very carfully with a strong light and a high power magnifying lens and could find no rip or break.

On the adapter, I found the smallest hole you ever saw. I don't know if it was the cause or not, but I wrapped the plug with some high temp tape I have left from a NASA job, replaced the o-ring, greased the inside of the tube, o-ring, and the adapter.

We allowed the truck to warmup for a half hour and with no leak seen, we drove it for 50 miles at highway speeds, checking things a couple times. No more leak.

I'n sure the hole was the cause, but the size was right for the amount of coolant I saw leaking.

There will be a email going to Sinister about it shortly.

All good for now.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:10 PM
RSD
Muted User

Hey Larry, let me know if you need help from Sinister with that leak.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:30 PM

Thanks James. I hope my "patch" holds. But I did ask that they send me a replacement adapter.

If ANYBODY can have a problem it will be me, Bro.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Stargeezer
We got things apart and back together with no leak this time. I checked the o-ring over very carfully with a strong light and a high power magnifying lens and could find no rip or break.

On the adapter, I found the smallest hole you ever saw. I don't know if it was the cause or not, but I wrapped the plug with some high temp tape I have left from a NASA job, replaced the o-ring, greased the inside of the tube, o-ring, and the adapter.
Larry, hate to hear you are having yet another issue! Seems that EGR cooler wants to leak with or without it present. I got the same Sinister kit as you but have not installed it yet. Was the hole along a seam or close to an end? Just curious, I want to inspect mine before I put it on.
Thanks...........JB
Old 02-27-2012, 12:27 PM

There no seam close to it. The hole looked like a casting sand hole. I know these are not cast but at some point the metal is poured. The hole was the size of a straight pin point. A little ragged on the edge. Located near the o-ring groove. I don't have anything to be able to see if it has a matching hole on the inside, but a very intense light inside of the adapter did not show any light through the hole - that only means it makes a right turn or two inside.

This was nothing but a freak, one of a kind problem. I would not be concerned. You'er much more likly to have a torn O-ring. Be sure to grease it up good when inserting it.

I greased the inside of the tube, the o-ring and the adapter. They slid together very easy (both times ).
Old 02-27-2012, 01:35 PM

Thanks, I'll be sure to do that. Hope any other mods you do are trouble free, you've had enough surprises.