4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

I am only Making 22LBS of Boost!!!! Low Boost?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I am only Making 22LBS of Boost!!!! Low Boost?

This is my attempt to reach out for some ideas and direction on this. I have been up late every night trying to figure it out...

Background info---

I purchased my wife a 2011 with 36k on it and drove it home about 800 miles. At during that drive the regen cycle would really stink up the cab and I decided I wanted to avoid exposing my wife and kids to that stench.

I purchased a DPF-R kit that is basically a counter reset unit, some sim plugs and a piggyback wire that sends a signal from the exhaust pressure sensor down to the pressure differential sensor plug.I built a straight pipe that went from the flange to the muffler swedge with a bung for my O2 sensor.

Once installed it worked as advertized with no codes or lights, however, the truck would puff black smoke at random times for a second then stop. It didn't seem related to throttle at all. Also, the truck would puff large flakes of soot when she would let it run for 20min in the morning. I read up some on this and decided to let her drive it with the EGR unplugged and see if it would resolve, which it did. After unplugging the egr, the truck did not smoke.

Last week, I used the truck to move my bobcat, (appox. 12k lbs.) the truck had absolutely no power. It was clear that there was something wrong.

I hooked up my pocket scan tool and the live data feed for boost was maxing out at 22lbs. Exhaust brake is working but can't tell if its weak.

Things I have attempted-----

It has a new fuel filter, I have cleaned the exhaust pressure sensor, cleaned the MAP Sensor, I have also performed a smoke test on all my turbo plumbing and intercooler.

I am looking for some direction on how to mess with the turbo a little. I have the cleaning protocol from cummins for the turbo but I can't find the kit with the cleaner and port adapter.

Any help/insight/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Chad P.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:15 PM

I forgot to mention, there are no codes other than my egr code....
Old 01-19-2017, 10:12 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Try cleaning MAF sensor and turbo. Turbo cleaning tool is pricey. Or pay a tech to do it for $$. You also would need the cleaner fluid, comes in a pressurize can, I think about $15 a can. Usually a P2262 code sets if PCM detects turbo failure. I have the tool but I live in Southern California area. PM me if you are ever in Ventura area.

10142 Cummins Turbo Cleaning Kit
Old 01-20-2017, 11:59 PM

Update:

Cleaned MAF sensor, cleared codes and pulled battery cables then test drove with no change.Before attempting a turbo cleaning, I decided to re-install stock exhaust and just start over. It took me about an hour and a half and then cleared codes pulled bat. cables and test drove.

I got a peak boost while unloaded of 29 PSI.....

At this point I have to assume some sort of limp mode had gotten enabled and the truck was limiting fuel....

Really frustrated becuse now it's getting personal between me and this truck's emission system. I thought I could beat it on a budget but so far the truck is winning. I guess I just need to get a tuner...

Any insight on emisshhh... delete capable tuners would be great...