4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

How much can it handle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
John, Spooler,

Im gonna watch it for a while once I get it to my top end goals. I dont plan on DDing it at 650. I have forewarned my wife that if I window a block its not gonna be cheap, but if I do, Ill find a shortblock and have a proper build done on it from top to bottom.

I firmly believe in the old addage, if you wanna play, you gotta pay. And well, big fun often times equals big bucks.

BUT, that being said, I have to agree with yall, and warn the other guys. If you cant afford to, or you are not willing to chalk up BIG, and do I mean BIG bucks for some serious repairs, know what you are getting into before you start to mod.....
Old 12-28-2011, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
John, Spooler,

Im gonna watch it for a while once I get it to my top end goals. I dont plan on DDing it at 650. I have forewarned my wife that if I window a block its not gonna be cheap, but if I do, Ill find a shortblock and have a proper build done on it from top to bottom.

I firmly believe in the old addage, if you wanna play, you gotta pay. And well, big fun often times equals big bucks.

BUT, that being said, I have to agree with yall, and warn the other guys. If you cant afford to, or you are not willing to chalk up BIG, and do I mean BIG bucks for some serious repairs, know what you are getting into before you start to mod.....
------------------------
Good post and insight Blake! Like you said, I also tell our group down here the same thing on the mods!
Old 12-28-2011, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so if a truck is deleted what do i need to watch for Blake? this has me a bit worried
Old 12-28-2011, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tyler_02
so if a truck is deleted what do i need to watch for Blake? this has me a bit worried
Well depends. What all do you have done to it, and what do you use it for.

Driving habits by far are what contribute the most to broken stuff. Common sense with what your right foot is doing goes a long long way.

Keeps the EGT's down, dont run ridiculously high programming on a truck without the supporting mods, and dont drive like a teenager hell bent on breaking something and you should be fine.

My 08 I ran for almost 65k deleted miles before I traded it with nary ANY drive train issues, save for a busted water pump.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:17 PM

What happened to my post in this thread, it appear it was deleted.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:18 PM

Blake can i call you i got some qs...pm with ur phone number if you can
Old 12-28-2011, 08:43 PM

Rick

I dont show any posts that were deleted. Not sure what happened. May have been an error with the server and it didnt get posted.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
John, Spooler,

No problem, I was wanting to throw a 6.7 in my 04.5 one day, that's why I have been watching so closely to the modded 6.7's. Was also tossing the idea around of turning my 5.9 into a stroker motor with the 6.7 crank. Not so sure now.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:49 PM
The Guru

Originally Posted by John_P
------------------
Blake, as usual, you and I will just have to "agree to disagree" on these 6.7 blocks! I have personally seen three (3) 6.7 blocks blown completely out right in front of cylinder #1! While you are right that the 5.9 blocks can come apart (i.e. Big Swoles windowed block) I have never seen one let go like these 6.7 blocks and from what I have learned it is from less mass around the cylinders in the 6.7. While I am glad you and my good friend Chris
(signature 600) have had good luck with yours, in my opinion these 6.7's will not last in "modified" conditions as well as the old 5.9 blocks which is what this thread was about anyway. Also, I don't feel that alot of our members could or would want to replace a complete 6.7 long block (at $10,000.00+)
due to adding a box or programmer which technically VOIDS their warranty anyway!

----------
John_P
John, I just wanted to add, that I've seen more 5.9L CR blocks with those failures than 6.7L's I have three complete written off 5.9L cracked cylinders, blocks skirts and cam bearing areas. 6.7L are very capable of making decent power, the rods should be upgraded to at least 12V/24VP rods, but that goes for any 5.9CR or 6.7CR. Probably the worst issue is the 6.7L block deck surface, tons of additional coolant passageways vs. a 5.9L CR. A properely built 6.7L could very easily handle 1200-1500rwhp, just saying
Old 01-01-2012, 03:46 PM

My .02 on the whole 6.7/5.9 thing they are both great motors. We (Lazarsmith and I) have been in the process of building one ourselves. These trucks are capable of 700 hp on stock rods my truck proved that before we started building it for superstock ,and ask anyone I am not gentle on anything. Also looks at Aron Nicks old truck over 300 passes on stock rods and HG some running into the 10s ,and you cant tell me he babied it. the 6.7 is a good motor in its first few years bugs had to be worked out just like any other motor ,but for the most part theyre worked out now. I would not be afraid to push a 6.7 to 1000 hp ,but at that range they all break at some point 5.9s or 6.7s. The 6.7 is capable of spooling larger turbos in near stock form if it was me I'd ditch the vgt and get something bigger. Not trying to step on anyones toes.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
John, I just wanted to add, that I've seen more 5.9L CR blocks with those failures than 6.7L's I have three complete written off 5.9L cracked cylinders, blocks skirts and cam bearing areas. 6.7L are very capable of making decent power, the rods should be upgraded to at least 12V/24VP rods, but that goes for any 5.9CR or 6.7CR. Probably the worst issue is the 6.7L block deck surface, tons of additional coolant passageways vs. a 5.9L CR. A properely built 6.7L could very easily handle 1200-1500rwhp, just saying
--------------------------------------------
Mike, you know I respect what you and others in the diesel world have done with these engines, both the 5.9 and 6.7. We have to remember how MANY 5.9 blocks there are out there in comparison to the number of 6.7 blocks. The 5.9 blocks have been out in our trucks since 1989 and the 6.7s about what, three to four years now? Think of the number of high horespower Pro-Street Diesel Drag Trucks or Dodge CTD Sled Pulling Trucks WITH the 5.9 blocks that have never cracked or come apart and are above 1,000 H.P. Tim Barbers "daily driven" 2006 comes to mind as well as Jess Spruill's old 2006.

I do agree with your assessment of the rods and the deck surfaces on the 6.7blocks. FWIW,.....as you know, I have been at the 800-900 H.P level on my 96' Dodge CTD 12 valve for over five years now and am running STOCK rods.
But as you point out, the 12V/24 rods are better IMHO.

My problem is every 6.7 block I have seen blown or come apart has been right in front of cylinder #1. Like I told Blake,....we all will have to "agree to disagree" on the 5.9 vs 6.7 block and engine issue.

Thanks for your reply Mike.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by dodgeram082500
My .02 on the whole 6.7/5.9 thing they are both great motors. We (Lazarsmith and I) have been in the process of building one ourselves. These trucks are capable of 700 hp on stock rods my truck proved that before we started building it for superstock ,and ask anyone I am not gentle on anything. Also looks at Aron Nicks old truck over 300 passes on stock rods and HG some running into the 10s ,and you cant tell me he babied it. the 6.7 is a good motor in its first few years bugs had to be worked out just like any other motor ,but for the most part theyre worked out now. I would not be afraid to push a 6.7 to 1000 hp ,but at that range they all break at some point 5.9s or 6.7s. The 6.7 is capable of spooling larger turbos in near stock form if it was me I'd ditch the vgt and get something bigger. Not trying to step on anyones toes.
If Lazersmith is building it, I trust it. He does some awesome work, and may end up getting my G56 before its over with.

Mike, you know I respect what you and others in the diesel world have done with these engines, both the 5.9 and 6.7. We have to remember how MANY 5.9 blocks there are out there in comparison to the number of 6.7 blocks. The 5.9 blocks have been out in our trucks since 1989 and the 6.7s about what, three to four years now?

I do agree with your assessment of the rods and the deck surfaces on the 6.7blocks. FWIW,.....as you know, I have been at the 800-900 H.P level on my 96' Dodge CTD 12 valve for over five years now and am running STOCK rods.

My problem is every 6.7 block I have seen blown or come apart has been right in front of cylinder #1. Like I told Blake,....we all will have to "agree to disagree" on the 5.9 vs 6.7 block and engine issue.

I guess Ill be one of DTR's first 6.7 bigger build test monkeys.....

Hoping to be one of the first on here with a bigger single, 2nd gen swap.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:52 PM

Mike, you know I respect what you and others in the diesel world have done with these engines, both the 5.9 and 6.7. We have to remember how MANY 5.9 blocks there are out there in comparison to the number of 6.7 blocks. The 5.9 blocks have been out in our trucks since 1989 and the 6.7s about what, three to four years now? Think of the number of high horespower Pro-Street Diesel Drag Trucks or Dodge CTD Sled Pulling Trucks WITH the 5.9 blocks that have never cracked or come apart and are above 1,000 H.P. Tim Barbers "daily driven" 2006 comes to mind as well as Jess Spruill's old 2006.

The issue I see with this whole statement is your are basically saying the 6.7 is junk, but the block was never designed for the abuse you would inflict by doubling the horsepower. I would guess the block is thinner in several spots due to the larger bore/stroke and the block taking the same general space. I'm sure Cummins has put a lot of miles 6.7 with out issue at even slightly elevated levels. The reason I say elevated is, even the company I worked for this summer we tested the equipment with high HP tunes to see how the systems would work.

Also is the block truly failing in the front(hard to believe) or is the rod letting lose and windowing the front of the engine. If it is truly the first, would a girdle help the issue.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:16 PM
The Guru

The really funny part there are still guys out there scared to run their 24VP 53 blocks, with 400000 hard driven miles on them, just cause the internet cracked block issue. I've never seen a 53 block failure, seen tons of cracked block failures in non 53 block engines. Most it of the issue is just rumor based.

6.7L has more stress on the crank and rods, just cause of the unfavorable rod to stroke ratio, its basically the same engine, as the earlier 5.9CR. Most of the issues with the 6.7L are from the EPA air quality restrictions, not the engine design itself.

It would be cool to see a big power fourth gen 6.7L, its just a matter of time that it will be the engine to run.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:34 PM

Now Im biased, but Mike, your gonna make me push the envelope...

I can already see it now. 6 months after im done Ill be pulling the 90's for 200's and ordering a 85 over CP3

The wife would kill me. I have the green light to send it to Baton Rouge in April for the studs and '90s and order my 2nd gen swap stuff at the same time.

Better not push my luck!

Quick Reply: How much can it handle?