4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

How much can it handle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much can it handle?

What does everybody think the stock turbo can handle on these deleted trucks? I have my mm defuel set at 35, but would like to move up to 37 or 38. I have read 30 to 40psi. Just curious what everyone else was running.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:13 PM

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/20...bo-2012-a.html

Give this a read.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by timberrr
Yeah, thats what prompted me to ask. That's a little scary. I was hoping it was just a fluke.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullet112233
Yeah, thats what prompted me to ask. That's a little scary. I was hoping it was just a fluke.
----------------------------------------------------
Bullet:

Some of the the 4th Gen DTR Members here aren't going to like hearing what I have to say on this but I have seen six (6) turbos do that same thing on the new 4th Gens! IMHO,....there is definitely a problem with these turbos and the associated control of them! One of the trucks I saw had to have a new engine because the metal from the compressor blades went into the engine! If I owned one, I don't think I would push the turbo over 30-33lbs. of boost! I just don't think they can take it and the new ones are nearly
$3,000.00!!

---------
John_P
Old 12-24-2011, 06:53 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
As much as John loves to hate the 6.7's I gotta agree with him here.

Put anything more than stock boost levels through the VGT, or stock power levels through the 68RE, its a ticking time bomb.

And boom goes the dynamite.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
As much as John loves to hate the 6.7's I gotta agree with him here.

Put anything more than stock boost levels through the VGT, or stock power levels through the 68RE, its a ticking time bomb.

And boom goes the dynamite.
--------------------------------------
Blake, it is not that I "love to hate" the newer 4th Gen Dodge CTD CR 6.7 Trucks but more that I have seen SO MANY problems with them! Granted, you and many others here have had pretty good luck with them but I wonder how long that will last. The problems they are having are well documented all across the U.S. with the emissions systems, the turbos, the injectors, the fuel dilution issues to name a few. Couple that with the sheer cost of these new trucks and that is what I base my opinion on. I wish it was NOT the case, but it is. Lastly, alot of you guys are doing the DPF Deletes with them to help with the TERRIBLE stock mileage and at that point the factory Dodge warranty is VOIDED regardless of what some of these members here have told each other. As of January 1, 2012 the EPA implements the Tier 4 Emissions regulations on diesel engines in the U.S. and that is going to make it even more strict! As I said before, no more new diesel trucks for me! WAY too much "garbage" to deal with on them.

---------
John_P
Old 12-24-2011, 08:34 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
No worries John

You know that was just a good natured ribbing on the 6.7 envy part....

To be honest, Id love to see what you could do with one.

And you hit the nail on the head. The EPA regs are what is wreaking havoc on the diesel world. Can you imagine how nice it would be without any of the bluetec stuff on.

Right now my mileage is coming up. My truck is 100% emissions free as of yesterday. In a few months it will be VGT free. Its slowly turning into a big 5.9 and I couldnt like it more.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by John_P
--------------------------------------
Blake, it is not that I "love to hate" the newer 4th Gen Dodge CTD CR 6.7 Trucks but more that I have seen SO MANY problems with them! Granted, you and many others here have had pretty good luck with them but I wonder how long that will last. The problems they are having are well documented all across the U.S. with the emissions systems, the turbos, the injectors, the fuel dilution issues to name a few. Couple that with the sheer cost of these new trucks and that is what I base my opinion on. I wish it was NOT the case, but it is. Lastly, alot of you guys are doing the DPF Deletes with them to help with the TERRIBLE stock mileage and at that point the factory Dodge warranty is VOIDED regardless of what some of these members here have told each other. As of January 1, 2012 the EPA implements the Tier 4 Emissions regulations on diesel engines in the U.S. and that is going to make it even more strict! As I said before, no more new diesel trucks for me! WAY too much "garbage" to deal with on them.

---------
John_P
Sadly, those of us in the heavy diesel business (class 8 trucks) don't have a viable alternative. LNG powered diesel engines are a joke, and gasoline engines don't have the torque.

The great state of Kalifornia has just forced me to replace my fleet of low mile 2004 trucks with 2007 engine, 2008 year models. They have DPF and cooled EGR like our 6.7's. They share the same problems as our motors but are being better understood and supported. They are still more maintainence intensive and are less fuel efficient than the older models.

In my view the cooled EGR and DPF system is a big part of the problem. Doing deletes on highway heavy duty trucks isn't an option. The Fed's will hammer you and you will get caught. Fortunately, our engines can be altered and the chance of being caught is very small. Ford and GM have the same problems but are not as bad with the Urea system.

Your point about the warrantee is correct, and my hope is that by getting rid of the problem parts of the 6.7 engine the likelyhood of needing warrantee service will be greatly reduced. I don't mind the loss of warrantee service in exchange for a more reliable and robust power plant. Those that plan to greatly boost power output should do so with care in my opinion. Though the basic 6.7 engine may take very modest power increases of 60 HP or less, the chances of having major issues with higher output are pretty well understood and you take a big chance of having unplanned repairs at your expense.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by T210DRVR
Sadly, those of us in the heavy diesel business (class 8 trucks) don't have a viable alternative. LNG powered diesel engines are a joke, and gasoline engines don't have the torque.

The great state of Kalifornia has just forced me to replace my fleet of low mile 2004 trucks with 2007 engine, 2008 year models. They have DPF and cooled EGR like our 6.7's. They share the same problems as our motors but are being better understood and supported. They are still more maintainence intensive and are less fuel efficient than the older models.

In my view the cooled EGR and DPF system is a big part of the problem. Doing deletes on highway heavy duty trucks isn't an option. The Fed's will hammer you and you will get caught. Fortunately, our engines can be altered and the chance of being caught is very small. Ford and GM have the same problems but are not as bad with the Urea system.

Your point about the warrantee is correct, and my hope is that by getting rid of the problem parts of the 6.7 engine the likelyhood of needing warrantee service will be greatly reduced. I don't mind the loss of warrantee service in exchange for a more reliable and robust power plant. Those that plan to greatly boost power output should do so with care in my opinion. Though the basic 6.7 engine may take very modest power increases of 60 HP or less, the chances of having major issues with higher output are pretty well understood and you take a big chance of having unplanned repairs at your expense.
------------------
Very good post Sir! I agree with what you have said and that is my point exactly. I know the big trucks have the same problems as our Dodge CTD CR 6.7 Trucks too and that is really too bad for all the big trucking companies.
It is going to cost them more and they are going to pass those costs on to the consumer. It is a vicious circle!
Old 12-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
No worries John

You know that was just a good natured ribbing on the 6.7 envy part....

To be honest, Id love to see what you could do with one.

And you hit the nail on the head. The EPA regs are what is wreaking havoc on the diesel world. Can you imagine how nice it would be without any of the bluetec stuff on.

Right now my mileage is coming up. My truck is 100% emissions free as of yesterday. In a few months it will be VGT free. Its slowly turning into a big 5.9 and I couldnt like it more.
-----------------------------------------
Blake, after seeing what happens to some of the 6.7 blocks when the horespower is cranked way up (like my 96' is) I am not sure I would want to modify one! I have seen two (2) of them blow-up so far and both of the blocks let go on the front of the engine on cylinder #1! Apparently, due to the blocks bore being larger than the previous 5.9's, there is just not as much metal there anymore. Now granted, these two engines were both in the 900-1,000 H.P. category, but IMO it still is not a good sign. All I can tell you and others going the route you are is BE CAREFUL! You are looking at BIG BUCKS if that 6.7 engine lets go!
Old 12-24-2011, 03:38 PM

So John, are you saying not to mess with the 6.7 at all.
My understanding is that the Deletes and tuning actually benefit the truck as long as you keep the hp and boost level within reason.
Agree that the boyz running HOT tunes are asking for it.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Administrator

My understanding is that the Deletes and tuning actually benefit the truck as long as you keep the hp and boost level within reason.
-------------------------------------------------------
timberrr:

No Sir, I am not saying you guys shouldn't increase H.P. on the 6.7's. I am saying that if members are looking to go wild like I have on my 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve (800+ H.P.) that they need to be careful. Blake had posted to me that "he would like to see to see what I could do with one (a 6.7)";...thus my reply to him that I don't think I would try it due to the 6.7 blocks being weak in my opinion. You are right, the deletes and tuning do benefit the truck but they also VOID the factory warranty. If the members do the mods to these newer 4th Gen 6.7's they have to realize "they are their own warranty station!" Because I can guarantee you Dodge/Chrysler is watching the warranty claims on these trucks very, very close.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Delets help the fuel economy, keep the oil clean, but there is a big down side with durabillity. If my new truck's motor doesn't hold up better then my 2010, I am done with cummins

If I delete my 2012 that I am getting I will not run it over stock power. The engine has the same head gausket and head bolts and is has what 22%more power over my 2010 that I blew a gausket on that I ran on mild.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by RAMRODD
Delets help the fuel economy, keep the oil clean, but there is a big down side with durabillity. If my new truck's motor doesn't hold up better then my 2010, I am done with cummins

If I delete my 2012 that I am getting I will not run it over stock power. The engine has the same head gausket and head bolts and is has what 22%more power over my 2010 that I blew a gausket on that I ran on mild.
Back to my first question, how much boost were you running when the head gasket blew?
Old 12-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by RAMRODD

-------------------------------------------------------------
RAMRODD,......good post! Thanks for your input Sir!

Quick Reply: How much can it handle?