4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

H&S tuner on a stock truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 12:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
H&S tuner on a stock truck

I have a 2011 with a G56 (and a 3.42 rear end) and I'm planning on getting the Mini or Black Maxx. My main goal is to boost mpg, increase torque below 2000 RPM, and wake the thing up in general. I plan to do the "California" delete using the straight pipe to replace the DPF and NOx canister. I occationally tow up to about 8k lbs, but most of the time its unloaded. After looking at the HP and Torque curves, the MILD tune looks right for me. I have read in other threads that running on HOT yields the best increase in mpg.
If i keep the rest of the truck stock, can i run on MILD and be okay on my clutch, head gasket, etc? If running on MILD is risky, what mods should i make?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
hunterbob (09-10-2017)
Old 12-04-2011, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I essentially have the same setup as you but a 2WD. I have the H&S Mini Maxx and run the Mild tune. No clutch issues empty or when towing my 10,400# 5er camper. Love the extra power and fuel economy!!!!
Old 12-05-2011, 12:27 AM

Thanks for the feedback. That is great to hear, especially when towing. The extra low end torque with the 3.42 rear end I have will be awesome. Just saving my pennies and waiting for the day I can oder the darn thing.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Youre gonna need a clutch.

Im running mine just like yours (well Ive got a 5" TBE, underhood in place though).

Ive slipped mine just goofing around and not really pushing it.

No way itll hold up to a load. I have a SouthBend DD3250 on the backseat. Should be installed this week if the mechanic can get to it.

Otherwise, running on mild and being prudent, you should have any other issues with the head gasket and such.

Amslube what is your rear end ratio? I have the 3.73, not sure if that would play a factor in it but it may. I felt it slip the worse just trying to pass a vehicle in 6th from a 60mph or so roll on, hit about 70mph and the RPMS just started climbing with no go....

Are you running the stock torque management or no torque management. Im running with no TM.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:57 PM

I've got the 3.42 ratio. So far no hint of a slip even pulling the 5er up some good grades in OD here in NE PA. Running the H&S on Mild power with no torque management.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by amslube
I've got the 3.42 ratio. So far no hint of a slip even pulling the 5er up some good grades in OD here in NE PA. Running the H&S on Mild power with no torque management.
Good deal!

I know mine isnt gonna make it. Maybe I got a heavier foot.

BTW Im not but a couple hours west of ya right now...
Old 12-06-2011, 07:30 PM

I am sort of light footed on the go pedal most of the time which I'm sure helps, but when towing and the torque builds on some of these steep grades around here if it was gonna let loose it most likely would. Just hope it holds out for a while. Had an '01 HO before this truck with the edge EZ. Original clutch and 265,000 miles on the odometer with a lot of towing miles with no problems.

I used Google Maps to see where you're at...you're right, just a couple of hours west...
Old 12-12-2011, 02:28 AM

Appreciate the feedback guys. Looks like I can at least proceed with the tuner and be mindful of potential slipping. Long-term i think a clutch is in order to allow for some occational "testing" of the higher power level settings...hehe.

While we're on the tuner topic... do you any of you have experience with disconnecting the Mini Maxx or Black Maxx? Does the truck run with the last selected power level setting? Obviously you will lose the defueling capability and gauges, but will it go into limp home mode?
What I'm hoping to do is set the tuner to "Stock", remove it from the truck, keep the Delete pipe in place, and have emissions testing done. In my county they only do a visual check for smoke, and connect up to the OBDII port (I assume they only check for "ready status"). My emissions guy will allow me to do a pre-test to see if this works. Anyone tried this?
Old 12-12-2011, 04:16 AM

I understand that the truck will still function as tuned, but no gauges, defuel, etc....

In other words, you turn the BlackMaxx into an XRTPro.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:06 PM
The Guru

Originally Posted by folsom_blues
Appreciate the feedback guys. Looks like I can at least proceed with the tuner and be mindful of potential slipping. Long-term i think a clutch is in order to allow for some occational "testing" of the higher power level settings...hehe.

While we're on the tuner topic... do you any of you have experience with disconnecting the Mini Maxx or Black Maxx? Does the truck run with the last selected power level setting? Obviously you will lose the defueling capability and gauges, but will it go into limp home mode?
What I'm hoping to do is set the tuner to "Stock", remove it from the truck, keep the Delete pipe in place, and have emissions testing done. In my county they only do a visual check for smoke, and connect up to the OBDII port (I assume they only check for "ready status"). My emissions guy will allow me to do a pre-test to see if this works. Anyone tried this?
No defuels, but the truck will function the same as stock mode. I've run my truck this way for a long time. I had my H&S tuner fail on me. My pyro is also broken. In stock mode, you probably will safe. The clutch will not have any of the torque managemant protection, as H&S has defeated that. The clutchs are real easy to install, probably 4-5hrs of work. Done a few of them, SBC dual disks are more work than single disks, but nothing to worry about.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:37 PM

Not to hijack the the thread but I want a h&s xrt pro for my 12' one day soon without doing deletes mainly for better mileage and bottom end but I have an auto, will the auto hold up, i only tow a 10k holiday trailer in the summer and don't wanna treat this truck badly at all?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:49 PM

Correction, I want a mini max or black max with the display not the tuner box
Old 12-13-2011, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by DieselBoy20
Not to hijack the the thread but I want a h&s xrt pro for my 12' one day soon without doing deletes mainly for better mileage and bottom end but I have an auto, will the auto hold up, i only tow a 10k holiday trailer in the summer and don't wanna treat this truck badly at all?
Not gonna happen without deletes.

1. Junk the DPF
2. Gain fuel economy
3. Gain power
4. ????????
5. Profit
Old 12-13-2011, 12:00 PM

I too have that delema with living in California....
was thinking of a way to get someone's old exhaust if possible and gut the inside of them and bolt them back up....then do something along the same line with the EGR stuff....maybe block-off plates for egr stuff that would make it look like it was functioning, but it would be blocked off...
want it to have the look, but have the function and power of the deletes....
I hate the REGEN and lack of power off the bottom...like I am going to get run over...
Old 12-13-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by palomino
I too have that delema with living in California....
was thinking of a way to get someone's old exhaust if possible and gut the inside of them and bolt them back up....then do something along the same line with the EGR stuff....maybe block-off plates for egr stuff that would make it look like it was functioning, but it would be blocked off...
want it to have the look, but have the function and power of the deletes....
I hate the REGEN and lack of power off the bottom...like I am going to get run over...
Yeah that would work real well. Find an old DPF and NOX canister. You can leave the current down pipe in place. Hollow out the old DPF and NOX, but leave the sensors unplugged. Leave the under hood alone. Run the DPF removed tune and your good to go. Stock looks, DPF none existent.

Quick Reply: H&S tuner on a stock truck