4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Is Your New Truck Makin' Oil! Fuel Dillution?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Your New Truck Makin' Oil? Fuel Dillution?

Oil level seems to be increasing. I've had my truck since June 28th and right now I'm at around 2500 miles. I'm planning on changing the oil - just because. I've been checking the oil periodically and today I discovered that the oil level is higher than the full mark. I'm guessing by a 1/2 quart or so. My '05 always stayed at the full mark between oil changes with 3 jugs of oil in her. So the new one has gained a 1/2 quart and I'm wondering if this is somewhat normal for the 6.7's with all the emissions components.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, this is "normal" for the 6.7 with the emissions system that are functional. The only thing you can do is change the oil at recommended intervals until you are off warranty and then do some emissions "adjustments".

Since my adjustments have been made, it has not made 1 drop of oil.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:14 PM

So knowing that it makes oil between oil changes, do you still pour in 12 quarts, or maybe 11.5 quarts? I'm not used to running higher than the full mark on any vehicle, and not sure I want to on this one. Doing a sniff test, the oil didn't smell fuelly.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:46 PM

How does it make oil?!

If too much is an ongoing problem install a Fumoto drain valve when you next change the oil - it'd be super easy to drain off the 'extra' with that instead of the stock oil pan plug

Could also send in an oil sample to confirm there's no fuel or coolant in the oil
Old 07-22-2010, 01:49 PM

It's fuel. It's supposed to be fuel. It's due to the newfangled EGR system. Because it's varies on how much fuel goes into the oil, the truck has a fancy-schmancy system that tells you when to change the oil. I'd start off at full. It must be designed to go overfull and if it gets to a certain point, will tell you to change it.

If you delete / disable the EGR, the fuel going into the oil phenomenon should stop. CJ-4 oils are supposedly designed to put up with this....
Old 07-22-2010, 02:28 PM

It's fuel. It's supposed to be fuel. It's due to the newfangled EGR system. Because it's varies on how much fuel goes into the oil, the truck has a fancy-schmancy system that tells you when to change the oil. I'd start off at full. It must be designed to go overfull and if it gets to a certain point, will tell you to change it.
Hey PatriotBlu,

Isn't the fuel coming from the DPF needing extra temperature and not the EGR? I thought that extra fuel was injected on the exhaust stroke to increse the EGT's so the DPF could do a non passive regen? (when the timer counts down or when the differential pressure meets the predetermined amount)
Old 07-22-2010, 02:29 PM
I think I can... I think...

Originally Posted by PatriotBlu

If you delete / disable the EGR, the fuel going into the oil phenomenon should stop. CJ-4 oils are supposedly designed to put up with this....
Anyone delete their EGR on a 2010 yet?
Just wondering if there's any worry about the warranty?
Old 07-22-2010, 02:38 PM

On the 2010's, you don't have to delete as the latest software just lets you unplug it without hurting anything. Prior years can do the same if they update to the latest flash. I've played with it but I plugged the EGR back in and cleared the codes. I was a little chicken I guess. I've read mixed messages as to the impact on the DPF. Some thing it may have an impact but those who have unplugged swear it won't...
Old 07-22-2010, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by 6 Shaker
Hey PatriotBlu,

Isn't the fuel coming from the DPF needing extra temperature and not the EGR? I thought that extra fuel was injected on the exhaust stroke to increse the EGT's so the DPF could do a non passive regen? (when the timer counts down or when the differential pressure meets the predetermined amount)
Could very well be. Thought the extra fuel was injected downstream into the exhaust itself though.

I just read where others have claimed that disabling EGR would limit the fuel getting added to the crankcase. But hey -- Just cause I read it doesn't make it so!!!!
Old 07-22-2010, 02:46 PM
I think I can... I think...

Originally Posted by PatriotBlu
On the 2010's, you don't have to delete as the latest software just lets you unplug it without hurting anything. Prior years can do the same if they update to the latest flash. I've played with it but I plugged the EGR back in and cleared the codes. I was a little chicken I guess. I've read mixed messages as to the impact on the DPF. Some thing it may have an impact but those who have unplugged swear it won't...
I want to yank that DPF as well
Old 07-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
This may lend to a little insight.

The growing oil is caused by the 4th injection event. That event is where additional fuel is injected to raised the temperature of the DPF to trigger regen. The fuel is not injected into the exhaust stream. It is injected while on the exhaust stroke inside the cylinder itself.

I would think that the growing oil problem is because not all of the raw fuel is pushed out on the exhaust stroke and it washed down into the crankcase on the intake stroke.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:48 PM

I have a Fumoto valve and plan to install it on the 1st change. I'll likely be bleeding off a 1/2 quart between changes if that appears to be this trucks characteristic. Weird, but oh well.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:04 PM

so if i am understanding correctly, you are saying your oil level should increase with diesel fuel entering it? that doesn't sound correct and in fact with my 5.9 this was an indicator of leaking injectors and could be very dangerous to the motor. can this be the case on the 2011 i have ordered and is currently being built?

thanks,
david
socal
Old 07-22-2010, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by dhe9
so if i am understanding correctly, you are saying your oil level should increase with diesel fuel entering it? that doesn't sound correct and in fact with my 5.9 this was an indicator of leaking injectors and could be very dangerous to the motor. can this be the case on the 2011 i have ordered and is currently being built?

thanks,
david
socal
Yea -- these are different. It's not a sign of leaky injectors necessarily in these newer emissions-laden engines.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dhe9

thanks,
david
socal
Sad but true. That is until you can De-EPA it....

Quick Reply: Is Your New Truck Makin' Oil! Fuel Dillution?