4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Is Your New Truck Makin' Oil! Fuel Dillution?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:03 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Thankfully, on the bigger engines (ISX / ISM ) they use a doser valve in the exhaust elbow behind the turbo. That is a GREAT idea. Lets have live fuel in close proximity to the hot turbo. But that is another argument.

Having the 4th event is indeed causing some of the oil growth issues. And that isn't good for an engine either. But neither is dusting it from day 1, with carbon re-introduced to the upper cylinders via the EGR valve and cooler. we are seeing highway engines having a shortened lifespan due to the egr process. But again, that is another subject.

I do not condone removal of emissions equipment from an engine, however, I do not believe that burning more fuel, equals less emissions. And what is being released into the atmosphere, that is more harmful to living beings, than the oxides of nitrogen which have been reduced.

Ok, I am starting to ramble. Until you do your deletes, you are going to experience oil growth, and will have to deal with it accordingly.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This may sound like a foolish question - but if the fuel is growing the oil - when would one know that the "overfull condition" has or is about to become an issue?

Be gentle - this is my first diesel and "growing Oil" is a first for me - anything I have owned prior to this, lost oil either through burning it or leaking it in the driveway ........
Old 07-23-2010, 07:20 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.oldtrucks
This may sound like a foolish question - but if the fuel is growing the oil - when would one know that the "overfull condition" has or is about to become an issue?

Be gentle - this is my first diesel and "growing Oil" is a first for me - anything I have owned prior to this, lost oil either through burning it or leaking it in the driveway ........
Regular checks of the oil level is the only way to know.

And this problem is not across the board. Some trucks never seen it. My 6.7 has never made a drop of oil.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:17 AM
The Guru

I did the dpf/cat delete on mine last night. Here a few pictures. All I can say is WOW, what a difference. I took my truck out for a rip just on the stock down pipe. Its not really that noisy. I reused my muffler, as I didn't have a exhaust coupler. I built the cat/dpf delete exhaust piece in my garage, I might have around $20 in it.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...-p2804394.html
Old 07-23-2010, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
And this problem is not across the board. Some trucks never seen it. My 6.7 has never made a drop of oil.
Just curious – is this attributed to how they are driven (working them hard / long trips versus short trips)?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:19 PM

Thank's Blake - I will be keeping a close watch on the level. In my intro, I mentioned that the dealer had just performed a service prior to me buying the truck - I suspect that the problem might have been with the young lube tech doing the oil change. I do know it is hard to get an accurate read on the dipstick......
Old 07-23-2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by ShouldBFishin
Just curious – is this attributed to how they are driven (working them hard / long trips versus short trips)?
I would imagine so, if you work the truck harder and it stays in passive regen then the 4th injection even is not used as much, ergo, less cylinder wash.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
I did the dpf/cat delete on mine last night. Here a few pictures. All I can say is WOW, what a difference. I took my truck out for a rip just on the stock down pipe. Its not really that noisy. I reused my muffler, as I didn't have a exhaust coupler. I built the cat/dpf delete exhaust piece in my garage, I might have around $20 in it.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...-p2804394.html
Mike, where did you get the flange?

Did you just chop if off the factory cans or you have a source for em?
Old 07-25-2010, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking over the Cummins electronic literature I notice that active regeneration will take 1 extra quart of fuel to accomplish. This happens when your engine doesn't get hot enough during daily driving to accomplish passive regeneration. FWIW....
Old 07-26-2010, 01:42 PM

I guess one quart doesn't sound bad. Will an active regen never happen if it is driven to where passive regen happens regularly? If I understand it, passive regen happens every 200-300 miles and is sufficient to clean the dpf adequately. Passive doesn't show on the EVIC. But if not, an active takes place and does show on the EVIC. Sound right? This 2010 is my second Cummins, but first 6.7, so I'm just trying to figger it all out.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:49 PM

Passive regen happens anytime your on the skinny pedal and get the exhaust hot enough to burn out the soot.

Think of it this way.

The BBQ Pit Theorem

You have a bbq pit that has a bunch of coals in it. You want the fire to burn hot enough so that the charcoal will burn down to nothing but fine powered ash that can be removed.

To get the fire going you need to add something to get it hot enough to sustain the burn, so you add lighter fluid. This is analogous to the 4th injection event which adds diesel to the exhaust stream. This is active regen.

Once the fire gets hot enough it will burn and continue to do without the aid of any lighter fluid. This is the same as running the truck hard and keeping the exhaust temp up. It requires no additional fuel to burn off the soot.

Additional soot (charcoal) can be added, but as in the BBQ pit scenario, if its hot enough, the burn will sustain. If not you have to add more fuel (lighter fluid) to get it hot enough to burn and clean itself out.

Hope that makes sense.

And no, you shouldn't try to grill a steak on your DPF.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:25 PM

I hear what you're saying. Hopefully, when it's time to buy the next truck in a few years, they'll have a better system than the current one. I realize they're on a sharp learning curve and that diesel emission systems are in in it's infancy stage, just like gas emission systems were in the mid to late 70's. But it can only get better, hopefully.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:53 PM
The Guru

To bad alot of the internal parts inside the engine don't like excessive heat of the BBQ. I took off my dpf and cat after 6000miles of use and the egr unplugged. The dpf and cat looked good inside. Too bad the oil gets dirty so fast.

As for the flange, I just used my plasma torch and my welder. Had some 4in exhaust laying around the house. Took about 1/2hr to remove the dpf and cat. No more check engine light.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:15 PM

dilution

Originally Posted by DirtEater
Oil level seems to be increasing. I've had my truck since June 28th and right now I'm at around 2500 miles. I'm planning on changing the oil - just because. I've been checking the oil periodically and today I discovered that the oil level is higher than the full mark. I'm guessing by a 1/2 quart or so. My '05 always stayed at the full mark between oil changes with 3 jugs of oil in her. So the new one has gained a 1/2 quart and I'm wondering if this is somewhat normal for the 6.7's with all the emissions components.
I have 22,000 mile on my 2010. with no "oil growth" in between changes at each 7500 miles. I would be VERY CAUTIOUS about this. I run about 30 large diesel engines, and oil dilition can ba catastrophic. ESPECIALLY with ULSD.......We send in oil analysis each change, and would HIGHLY recommend you do so if you are experiencing dilution......
Old 08-01-2010, 11:11 PM

****, I would like to buy a new Dodge or Ford Diesel but this fuel in the oil is a engine killer. Thank you EPA! New Fords have the same problem and no Manual Trans so no deal. Would somebody in EPA tell me how burning more fuel to operate the engine less efficiently , and diluting the oil to shorten engine life helps the environment. Screw You. I'll keep my '05 Dodge 4X4 and I hope it smokes when I pass your GORE car in DC. Idiots.

Quick Reply: Is Your New Truck Makin' Oil! Fuel Dillution?